Holy Crap, The First Image Of NBC's Constantine Is Right Out Of Hellblazer

Gizmo1990

Insert funny title here
Oct 19, 2010
I don't see why they could not have the cancer story. Him selling his soul is not something that american tv has not seen before thanks to Supernatural and having him play 3 of the most evil beings in creation like a fiddle in order to cure himself would make a great story.

Mahorfeus said:
Tanis said:
Good promo shot, but I'm just not sold on NBC doing anything more than a sort of 'Dresden Files: The Poorly Done Constantine Knock-Off Edition'.
Dresden Files as in the book series? Or as in the crappy Canadian TV series?
Mahorfeus said:
Tanis said:
Good promo shot, but I'm just not sold on NBC doing anything more than a sort of 'Dresden Files: The Poorly Done Constantine Knock-Off Edition'.
Dresden Files as in the book series? Or as in the crappy Canadian TV series?
I must say that when I first found out about this show my reaction was I hope it is nothing like the Dresden Files TV show because that this was just bad.

Ironically I saw the TV show first, did not think it was that bad, got the first few books and read them, realised how bad the show was and just continued with the books which are now one of my favorite series.

srpilha

Dec 24, 2008
I had sort of gotten used to a bit less blind optimism for no reason at all on this site.

Eh, so he looks good. Have we lowered our expectations THAT much? This is at best a reason to re-read the original series where, unlike here, he does look unhappy, unbathed and more forked-up than we can muster the strength to fathom.

"Hot stud in a trenchcoat with perfectly airbrushed hair" is not really hwo I think of that character.

CelestDaer

Mar 25, 2013
He looks like Castiel. And since all I know about Constantine is that he fights demons... And I have no cable... so, I'm probably going to give this a pass...

snekadid

Lord of the Salt
Mar 29, 2012
tippy2k2 said:
Am I the only one who thinks that this looks JUST like a blond Max Payne?

(Not angry drunk bald Max Payne but NYPD cop)

I liked the Reeves movie but I also know nothing about Constantine so take anything I have to say with a grain of salt...
I liked it too, but then again I like keanu despite him not being an actor but rather an epic piece of cardboard.

I'll wait, there are way too many horrible translations of good series on the TV medium already.

Lenny Magic

Hypochondriacal Calligrapher
Jan 23, 2009
Lenny Magic said:
As much as I'm worried a lot by how tacky this image looks. I'm vaguely reassured at the fact that this is just a pre-production promo shot, and in my opinion he looks close enough.
Pretty much sums up my opinion of this. Judging the entire production based on this image is almost the same as judging a book by the first vague description the author gives before they have even submitted their finalised draft.

I still hope this will turn out to be a good series, but I don't expect anything as great or as interesting as the comics to come out of it.

sneakypenguin said:
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/7.844703-First-Look-at-Matt-Ryan-as-John-Constantine

Reposting old news? Or just felt like making the observation in a new post.
It is possible that the escapist wants to have its own news articles linked to, rather than the IGN one it got everything from. More likely someone forgot to check if there was already an article for this and approved it.

devilmore

Nov 18, 2009
CelestDaer said:
He looks like Castiel. And since all I know about Constantine is that he fights demons... And I have no cable... so, I'm probably going to give this a pass...
Came here for this.
Of course since I have no idea what the constantine series is, it is very well possible that Castiel is based on this, not the other way around.
In which case the supernatural guys did it first and damn did they do it well...

Caffeine_Bombed

Feb 13, 2012
Am I the only one who actually sees the smoke floating around him? Granted, there's no way of telling where that's coming from but it's very similair in appearence to cigarette smoke. People forget that a lot of companies don't put cigarettes in advertising simply because of the "bad" image it creates. I think this may be the case here.
True, he looks a bit too clean-cut at the moment but I feel the original post makes way too many assumptions about this series based on a single promotional image.
It's very early days yet and I'm looking forward to seeing how this show will turn out. Right now I'm giving it the benefit of the doubt. Constantine (the 2005 film) obviously veered away from the comic series in various ways but I actually really enjoy that film as it's own thing.

Auberon

Aug 29, 2012
Both routes appearance-wise could be viable, given that ol' Johnny aged about 25 years in real time. Matt Ryan fits the -88 Constantine, but if we're going for the guy in his 50s then I have only one answer:

That promo image could very well be him being smug as shit after the cancer deal.

Tragedy's Rebellion

Feb 21, 2010
I don't know why you think he should be less attractive than this, because in order to seduce people to do whatever you want you have to be vaguely attractive, and he looks almost exactly like this in the comics. :d We'll see how far they will push it, but I hope it's not some castrated, watered down and mainstream version. I'm not saying this like a hipster I just know how far they can go when they try to go for mass appeal.

DanielG

Jul 16, 2012
StriderShinryu said:
He really doesn't look all that dirty to me. Also, having the main character look right is a very very long way from this being an accurate adaptation of the source material. Honestly, he could look nothing like he does in the source material but as long as they got everything else right I'd be happy.
He isn't. His shirt has been ironed and the trenchcoat looks like it was just bought.

AzrealMaximillion

Jan 20, 2010
softclocks said:
He looks happy.

In other words, they've failed.
He's got the traditional Constantine smirk.

In other word's they're doing just fine. I've got a Hellblazer compilation 3 feet away from me. He looks good to me. Better than Keanu's rendition of him. Not a smile through the movie :(

AzrealMaximillion

Jan 20, 2010
tippy2k2 said:
Am I the only one who thinks that this looks JUST like a blond Max Payne?

(Not angry drunk bald Max Payne but NYPD cop)

I liked the Reeves movie but I also know nothing about Constantine so take anything I have to say with a grain of salt...
Read* HellBlazer Original Sins. Its a compilation of stories and it starts off with the story arc that the movie was heavily based off of.(This and another story where John Constantine find out he has terminal lung cancer) My beef isn't even with Keanu's performance. I just took that as the writer's/director's creative freedom with their vision and I'm ok with that. My problem was with the shitty acting from everyone that wasn't a main character. Namely the priest that was buddies with Constantine.

If you remember, the scene is the priest drinking desperately in order to quench insurmountable thirst. It was supposed to show him getting thirstier and thirstier. Instead you see him drink 6 bottles of liquor (liquor that doesn't appear or feel to him like its even reaching his mouth) and then the movie cuts to him gushing out alcohol from his mouth dead with the store owner saying that he drank until he drowned himself.

My problem here is that in the book, the same thing happens but it involves hunger instead of thirst, and the more someone eats, the hungrier they get AND the more malnourished they appear. I won't say too much more but seriously, read Original Sins.

Auberon

Aug 29, 2012
Movie is loosely based on Dangerous Habits (very second arc?). Original Sins does the "my mate unleashed a hunger demon, need to seal it back in".

softclocks

Mar 7, 2014
AzrealMaximillion said:
softclocks said:
He looks happy.

In other words, they've failed.
He's got the traditional Constantine smirk.

In other word's they're doing just fine. I've got a Hellblazer compilation 3 feet away from me. He looks good to me. Better than Keanu's rendition of him. Not a smile through the movie :(
Keanue's the measuring stick now?

Get me a plane-ticket then, cause even I'd make a better constantine than he did.