HOLY FUCK THIS OPPRESSIVE SHIT IN MY OWN STATE?!?!(Lol Australia)

Feb 13, 2008
Randy11517 said:
WOW, US police aren't strict enough but England and Australia's are too strict
US Cops carry guns. English cops aren't that bad, it's just the Justice system that sucks.

As for the Aussies though, can you even define what swearing is? This is purely going to be a "Move along" fine, and it's going to be abused like anything.

BTW, Eating/Drinking/Smoking during the hours of daylight at Ramadan in Arabian states? $50 dollar on the spot fine.

Nimbus

Token Irish Guy
Oct 22, 2008
Lucas_90 said:
You guys really don't need to worry about this shit. You're all thinking with passion rather than your heads. This isn't going to be used as a tool to piss people off, this is so that A) The magistrates are no longer clogged with petty offences. B) Police have some methods to resort to if they get abuse hurled at them on the street, and by god there is ALOT of that.

You guys have very little to worry about. Believe me, if this power is abused in any way, the civil libertarians will make sure it gets completely axed.

Thats right. Hate me for being sensible.
I call bullshit. "Don't worry, it won't be enforced" is NEVER good enough.

Wayneguard

Jun 12, 2010
Don't you have, like, elections and stuff in australia? we're set to clean house up here in america >:)

brodie21

Apr 6, 2009
you should organize a protest. have a bunch of people go around town holding signs with curses on them and screaming profanities.

or you could find some people with tourettes and have them scream profanities in public places and make a whole big deal when they get fined. problem solved

slowpoke999

Sep 17, 2009
Wayneguard said:
Don't you have, like, elections and stuff in australia? we're set to clean house up here in america >:)
Yeah in Australia we have the right wing party or the right wing party disguised as a left wing party.

Jack_Uzi

Mar 18, 2009
I'm not pro-swearing, but I do hate the puritan state of mind that you shouldn't. I do it when I feel like it but not for the heck of it. It's just part of expressing an emotion. I'd rather have someone call me whatever and have a nice little discussion about it, than having my face kicked in.

MetalPhoenix

May 12, 2009
Swearing shouldn't be taken that serious. It is actually considered a form of stress relieve. (I believe Harvard University proved this).
If I accidentally drop something valuable (for example a ming-vase, $2000 camera or my motorcylce) I'm not going to say "ow, gosh darned" or "ow my ow my what bad luck". No I'll be swearing. And trust me; people around me are going to hear it.

Like the great Lewis Black once said: There is no bad language. We are adults. These are the words we use to discribe anger, frustration and rage. In order that we don't pick up a tire-iron and beat the shit out of eachother.

And so end my 2 cents

Mr. Grey

I changed my face, ya like it?
Aug 31, 2009
Randy11517 said:
Mr. Grey said:
Hmm... one more law to break when I visit a country. This one is going to be fun, a lot of fun.

Germany first though... I'm unfurling the Jolly Roger for Germany, I'll also probably goosestep while mentioning the eeriness that Germany is acting like a bunch of Pacifistic Nazis, but Nazis all the same when regarding to their history. Yeah, you fecked up... what nation hasn't? But the thing that separates us from Germany is that we don't hide what we did... we only do that if we win. They're just being sore losers.

After that though, your state is going to be stinking rich unless I can persuade my Embassy to let me go. Then your state is out of luck.

Oh! And that Germany thing... yeah, that's been on my Bucket List for a long time. I just don't want to forget.
Someday i will go there run down the streets swearing my ass off, until i reach the safety of the US embassy(wait you have one and its our safe zone right?)
By the looks of it, we've got a long way to run.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Embassy_of_the_United_States,_Canberra

slowpoke999

Sep 17, 2009
brodie21 said:
you should organize a protest. have a bunch of people go around town holding signs with curses on them and screaming profanities.

or you could find some people with tourettes and have them scream profanities in public places and make a whole big deal when they get fined. problem solved
That's smart. To the police that's like saying "Hey everyone come over to abc street, it's raining money"

brodie21

Apr 6, 2009
slowpoke999 said:
brodie21 said:

That's smart. To the police that's like saying "Hey everyone come over to abc street, it's raining money"
what i mean is that if a few people with tourettes get fined, and the media catches on to it they will turn it into a shitstorm for the police and after a while they will have to revoke the law.

ahiddenfigure

Hunter of Monsters
Sep 14, 2009
Wayneguard said:
Yeah, we do, and it's coming soon, but this time 'round it's a vote between the lesser of two evils. Both the two major parties are going to screw us over in one way or another. Keep out current PM, K-Rudd and suffer the totally useless and unwanted "secret blacklist" internet filter, or go with that dickhead (opposition leader) Tony Abbot and continue to have a phone & internet infrastructure from the 1970s. I don't know who to put lower on my voting card.

BonsaiK

Music Industry Corporate Whore
Nov 14, 2007
The Queensland police will no doubt abuse this to the hilt. When I've been in QLD with my band we've always had to avoid the cops because they're so insanely hardcore and will pick on you for the smallest shit. They'll just use this as another quick way to fill their quotas or whatever.

Having said that, if you swear at a police officer you're a tool and probably deserve a $100 fine just for being stupid so I can see their point of view too. It would be a better law in the hands of a more reasonable police force than the QLD one.

Polock

Jan 23, 2010
Cursing is so lame. People do it so often it does nothing to their current "speech" except tell me that they are mentally deficient. For over swearers that is. The occasional swear word has more meaning then f this f-that you stupid s-word mother-f-word.

You get my drift....

Fuck.

Tzekelkan

Dec 27, 2009
This shit is pretty whack. What exactly constitutes swearing anyway? What if you're just talking to your friends and you say "I'm going to take a piss" and a police officer hears it. Is it considered a public nuissance? Where do you draw the line? I guess, like the article says, it's going to depend on the mood of the guy in power that heard you.

BonsaiK said:
Having said that, if you swear at a police officer you're a tool and probably deserve a $100 fine just for being stupid so I can see their point of view too. It would be a better law in the hands of a more reasonable police force than the QLD one.
Well, obviously, swearing or being obnoxious in the face of the police is retarded and you should get fined, but otherwise? It's just too much.

Also, what happens when they swear in movies? Are movies going to be deemed public nuissances? There's a rating system for that, I thought adults were allowed to talk the way they wanted to (within acceptable social boundaries, no ones likes a prick).

miscelaneous

Apr 4, 2010
Jonluw said:
That's hilarious to me. It would seem that countries where church and state is separated (see U.S. and their abstinence only education) have a more religiously rigid government than countries in which they are not.
The Church and State aren't seperate in the U.S., they say that, but thats a load.

Billion Backs

Apr 20, 2010
Holy fuck that's annoying.

lacktheknack said:
HA! In Canada (maybe just Alberta), there's a $250 fine for littering. Just don't swear in public (like how we can't litter), and you won't get fined.
There's a difference between swearing and littering. Swearing isn't an ecological or sanitary danger. Littering can be. Attempting to control swearing is an outrageous attempt to control free speech. Where would it stop? Plenty of words can be used as swear words. And new ones can be invented at the spot just like that.

So officials having the power to fine you for swearing have the power to control your speech. And that shit doesn't go well with me. First it's the obvious things like "shit", "fuck", "****" and so on. Then it's the words -some- people might find offensive, "Christ", "Allah", and so on. Then it's just gonna get worse and worse. Fuck that.

The attitude of "oh well, it doesn't affect me too much so I'll let it slide" kinda reminds me of this poem by Martin Niemoeller...

THEY CAME FIRST for the Communists,
and I didn't speak up because I wasn't a Communist.

THEN THEY CAME for the trade unionists,
and I didn't speak up because I wasn't a trade unionist.

THEN THEY CAME for the Jews,
and I didn't speak up because I wasn't a Jew.

THEN THEY CAME for me
and by that time no one was left to speak up.
Sure, this poem is about Nazi regime and stuff, but the general feeling is very applicable here. You gotta hold on to your freedoms and stay together, else you go down divided one by one.

Blackjack 222

Dec 2, 2009
Mr. Grey said:
Randy11517 said:
Mr. Grey said:
Hmm... one more law to break when I visit a country. This one is going to be fun, a lot of fun.

Germany first though... I'm unfurling the Jolly Roger for Germany, I'll also probably goosestep while mentioning the eeriness that Germany is acting like a bunch of Pacifistic Nazis, but Nazis all the same when regarding to their history. Yeah, you fecked up... what nation hasn't? But the thing that separates us from Germany is that we don't hide what we did... we only do that if we win. They're just being sore losers.

After that though, your state is going to be stinking rich unless I can persuade my Embassy to let me go. Then your state is out of luck.

Oh! And that Germany thing... yeah, that's been on my Bucket List for a long time. I just don't want to forget.
Someday i will go there run down the streets swearing my ass off, until i reach the safety of the US embassy(wait you have one and its our safe zone right?)
By the looks of it, we've got a long way to run.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Embassy_of_the_United_States,_Canberra
All the mroe fun.
Imagine a Texan running down the street towards the US embassy, screaming curse words yelling 'OPEN THE FUCKING GATE" followed by "CLOSE THE DAMN GATE" at this point i flip them off.
Just be sure we do it on separate days to avoid running into a mob of police while being chased by a bigger mob of police