HOLY FUCK THIS OPPRESSIVE SHIT IN MY OWN STATE?!?!(Lol Australia)

Capt. Crankypants

Jan 6, 2010
Furburt said:
Lucas_90 said:
You guys really don't need to worry about this shit. You're all thinking with passion rather than your heads. This isn't going to be used as a tool to piss people off, this is so that A) The magistrates are no longer clogged with petty offences. B)Police have some methods to resort to if they get abuse hurled at them on the street, and by god there is ALOT of that.

You guys have very little to worry about. Believe me, if this power is abused in any way, the civil libertarians will make sure it gets completely axed.

Thats right. Hate me for being sensible.
Surely that'd already be covered under disrespecting an officer of the state? I mean, I'm going by Irish law here, but while there's no law against swearing in public here (thank god), there is a law against being disrespectful towards members of the Gardaí Síochana (Irish Police Force), which includes swearing at them or being abusive.

Does Queensland not have that? Because if they do, I can't see any other reason for this than to turn a quick buck.
Yeah, but I refer back to my other point and add some additional information not covered in the OP. This isn't targeting people swearing, this legislation targets a range of minor offences, public nuisance, urinating in public, etc, which normally would be issued with either a warning (most commonly) or a Notice to Appear, for the more serious offences or people who turn around and completely disrespect the police service. With the Notice to Appear, or in yet more serious cases, a night in the watch-house, there is ALOT of faffing about to be done in the judicial end. Having to put someone in the watch-house requires ALOT of processing, and a Notice to Appear means a very minor charge takes up court time, which ALOT of people are complaining there are HUGE delays with.

So, all in all, the people who already commit these minor offences, if deemed serious enough, will still be charged and fined in the end, this method is simply more efficient. And as I said, the Civil Libertarians are all over this, and if it's abused, they'll tear anna bligh and Bob Atkinson a new one.

I hope I've cleared this up, speaking as someone who fully appreciates all the shit that Police have to go through to hold society together.

(Capitalised the word 'alot' ALOT in this post)

Mr. Grey

I changed my face, ya like it?
Aug 31, 2009
Randy11517 said:
Mr. Grey said:
Randy11517 said:
Mr. Grey said:
Hmm... one more law to break when I visit a country. This one is going to be fun, a lot of fun.

Germany first though... I'm unfurling the Jolly Roger for Germany, I'll also probably goosestep while mentioning the eeriness that Germany is acting like a bunch of Pacifistic Nazis, but Nazis all the same when regarding to their history. Yeah, you fecked up... what nation hasn't? But the thing that separates us from Germany is that we don't hide what we did... we only do that if we win. They're just being sore losers.

After that though, your state is going to be stinking rich unless I can persuade my Embassy to let me go. Then your state is out of luck.

Oh! And that Germany thing... yeah, that's been on my Bucket List for a long time. I just don't want to forget.
Someday i will go there run down the streets swearing my ass off, until i reach the safety of the US embassy(wait you have one and its our safe zone right?)
By the looks of it, we've got a long way to run.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Embassy_of_the_United_States,_Canberra
All the mroe fun.
Imagine a Texan running down the street towards the US embassy, screaming curse words yelling 'OPEN THE FUCKING GATE" followed by "CLOSE THE DAMN GATE" at this point i flip them off.
Just be sure we do it on separate days to avoid running into a mob of police while being chased by a bigger mob of police
I wonder how many Dukes of Hazards I can pull off... nah, I'll probably crash into the first wall... and I wouldn't even know how.

But agreed, we do this on different days. Everyone knows that when the mob gets bigger, the chances the gates will open disappear.

Wayneguard

Jun 12, 2010
ahiddenfigure said:
Wayneguard said:
Don't you have, like, elections and stuff in australia? we're set to clean house up here in america >:)
Yeah, we do, and it's coming soon, but this time 'round it's a vote between the lesser of two evils. Both the two major parties are going to screw us over in one way or another. Keep out current PM, K-Rudd and suffer the totally useless and unwanted "secret blacklist" internet filter, or go with that dickhead (opposition leader) Tony Abbot and continue to have a phone & internet infrastructure from the 1970s. I don't know who to put lower on my voting card.
wow... i had no idea it was that bad. Do most Australians feel that way or is it a case of south park syndrome where everyone in town is fucking retarded save a few who realize how messed up everything is?

reciprocal

Jun 4, 2009
Given that Kevin Rudd himself isn't a stranger to swearing (Copenhagen, for example), I say we implement a fair-go policy.

Police can fine me if I swear but the government needs to reimburse be 100-fold if a politician swears... or uses an extremely bad analogy like sauce bottles.

AllLagNoFrag

Jun 7, 2010
Ermm.... AUSTRALIA?!
This is insane. Its genius in the sense that they will be getting a crap load of money from this but, fucking ridiculous. Having studied in Aus (WA), swearing has been at least a good 5% of my daily words.

Then again, L4d2 got censored and AvP got fire for being too violent. Im just plain shocked.

waterhazard

Aug 22, 2008
slowpoke999 said:
I'm totally serious btw, I'm not a fan of censorship and don't want to have anything to di with a country that prohibits free speech.
Well if you hate Australia's censorship I heard North Korea's nice this time of year.

_Janny_

Mar 6, 2008
Australia? Poor Yahtzee...

I don't live there, but I don't particularly like the idea of fining someone just because they cursed. What happened to freedom of speech and all that? Even the most classy people sometimes accidentally curse when they're frustrated.

Blackjack 222

Dec 2, 2009
Mr. Grey said:
Randy11517 said:
Mr. Grey said:
Randy11517 said:
Mr. Grey said:
Hmm... one more law to break when I visit a country. This one is going to be fun, a lot of fun.

Germany first though... I'm unfurling the Jolly Roger for Germany, I'll also probably goosestep while mentioning the eeriness that Germany is acting like a bunch of Pacifistic Nazis, but Nazis all the same when regarding to their history. Yeah, you fecked up... what nation hasn't? But the thing that separates us from Germany is that we don't hide what we did... we only do that if we win. They're just being sore losers.

After that though, your state is going to be stinking rich unless I can persuade my Embassy to let me go. Then your state is out of luck.

Oh! And that Germany thing... yeah, that's been on my Bucket List for a long time. I just don't want to forget.
Someday i will go there run down the streets swearing my ass off, until i reach the safety of the US embassy(wait you have one and its our safe zone right?)

All the mroe fun.
Imagine a Texan running down the street towards the US embassy, screaming curse words yelling 'OPEN THE FUCKING GATE" followed by "CLOSE THE DAMN GATE" at this point i flip them off.
Just be sure we do it on separate days to avoid running into a mob of police while being chased by a bigger mob of police
I wonder how many Dukes of Hazards I can pull off... nah, I'll probably crash into the first wall... and I wouldn't even know how.

But agreed, we do this on different days. Everyone knows that when the mob gets bigger, the chances the gates will open disappear.
That's why Raptor Jesus invented helicopters

slowpoke999

Sep 17, 2009
Oh great and I'm doing a Pokemon Diamond Nuzloke challenge(self imposed challenges to make the game funner) and now when the rival says "I'm going to fine you"(he says he fines you a million dollars because he's got A.D.D and runs into you) I'm gonna rage hard.

slowpoke999

Sep 17, 2009
_Janny_ said:
Australia? Poor Yahtzee...

I don't live there, but I don't particularly like the idea of fining someone just because they cursed. What happened to freedom of speech and all that? Even the most classy people sometimes accidentally curse when they're frustrated.
Lucky guy lives one state away, he won't be affected at all. Ofcourse if he was affected he'd probably swear more in his videos. I'm torn.

ZephrC

Free Cascadia!
Mar 9, 2010
Lucas_90 said:
Furburt said:
Lucas_90 said:
You guys really don't need to worry about this shit. You're all thinking with passion rather than your heads. This isn't going to be used as a tool to piss people off, this is so that A) The magistrates are no longer clogged with petty offences. B)Police have some methods to resort to if they get abuse hurled at them on the street, and by god there is ALOT of that.

You guys have very little to worry about. Believe me, if this power is abused in any way, the civil libertarians will make sure it gets completely axed.

Surely that'd already be covered under disrespecting an officer of the state? I mean, I'm going by Irish law here, but while there's no law against swearing in public here (thank god), there is a law against being disrespectful towards members of the Gardaí Síochana (Irish Police Force), which includes swearing at them or being abusive.

Does Queensland not have that? Because if they do, I can't see any other reason for this than to turn a quick buck.
Yeah, but I refer back to my other point and add some additional information not covered in the OP. This isn't targeting people swearing, this legislation targets a range of minor offences, public nuisance, urinating in public, etc, which normally would be issued with either a warning (most commonly) or a Notice to Appear, for the more serious offences or people who turn around and completely disrespect the police service. With the Notice to Appear, or in yet more serious cases, a night in the watch-house, there is ALOT of faffing about to be done in the judicial end. Having to put someone in the watch-house requires ALOT of processing, and a Notice to Appear means a very minor charge takes up court time, which ALOT of people are complaining there are HUGE delays with.

So, all in all, the people who already commit these minor offences, if deemed serious enough, will still be charged and fined in the end, this method is simply more efficient. And as I said, the Civil Libertarians are all over this, and if it's abused, they'll tear anna bligh and Bob Atkinson a new one.

I hope I've cleared this up, speaking as someone who fully appreciates all the shit that Police have to go through to hold society together.

Okay firstly, 'a lot' is two words. Second, swearing at a cop is a total dick move, and anybody that does it is a complete ass, but dammit, being an ass shouldn't be illegal. Hurting people should be illegal. If a cop is hurt by foul language, they're really in the wrong line of work. I sympathize with what they have to go through, but fuck, if being a goddamn jerk is illegal, we're all royally fucked.

Jonluw

May 23, 2010
miscelaneous said:
Jonluw said:
That's hilarious to me. It would seem that countries where church and state is separated (see U.S. and their abstinence only education) have a more religiously rigid government than countries in which they are not.
The Church and State aren't seperate in the U.S., they say that, but thats a load.
Sure, but where I live church and state are actually united, part of our tax money even goes to funding the church. And even so, we don't have any laws regarding religion. (That is, we have the blasphemy paragraph, but that hasn't been active in a long time. The last time someone tried to use it was when an artist made two comic strips poking fun at Jesus.

"In November 2006, a 94 year old woman from Selbu brought blasphemy charges against Adresseavisen, a Trondheim-based newspaper that publishes M, over the content of two strips published in the newspaper. In both strips, Jesus Christ is seen advertising for different products, such as "Pilate's crucifixion cream for manly men". The woman who pressed charges stated that "this has nothing to do with freedom of speech. This is much worse than the Muhammad cartoons." Eriksen responded that M is a strip that pokes fun at all sorts of myths, both old and new. A few days later, Dagbladet(another Norwegian newspaper*) published a strip in which Mads wins a boxing match against God on walkover.

No further action was taken, however, as there has been no censorship in Norway over charges of blasphemic content since Life of Brian was banned from cinemas in 1979."
Taken from wikipedia.*Edit)

DuplicateValue

Jun 25, 2009
It's not very often that I'm glad to be Irish, but this is one of those times.

Our police really couldn't give a shit.

Mr. Grey

I changed my face, ya like it?
Aug 31, 2009
Are cops really that bad in Queensland? That they'd take this to such extremes?

Randy11517 said:
Mr. Grey said:
Randy11517 said:
Mr. Grey said:
Randy11517 said:
Mr. Grey said:

All the mroe fun.

That's why Raptor Jesus invented helicopters
But what about TyrannoSatan and his Heat Seeking Missiles... oh, and the launcher?

HippySecond

Jun 11, 2008
Fuck man thats rough, I don't think we have this in Perth, maybe it's just called something else though, like public disturbance or somesuch?

Mr.Black

Oct 27, 2009
Lucas_90 said:
You guys really don't need to worry about this shit. You're all thinking with passion rather than your heads. This isn't going to be used as a tool to piss people off, this is so that A) The magistrates are no longer clogged with petty offences. B) Police have some methods to resort to if they get abuse hurled at them on the street, and by god there is ALOT of that.

EDIT: Yes, I'm an Australian, yes, I live in queensland, yes, I support this movement.
Oh hey, common sense, nice to meet you.

slowpoke999

Sep 17, 2009
ZephrC said:
Lucas_90 said:
Furburt said:
Lucas_90 said:

Okay firstly, 'a lot' is two words. Second, swearing at a cop is a total dick move, and anybody that does it is a complete ass, but dammit, being an ass shouldn't be illegal. Hurting people should be illegal. If a cop is hurt by foul language, they're really in the wrong line of work. I sympathize with what they have to go through, but fuck, if being a goddamn jerk is illegal, we're all royally fucked.
Hey I think being a jerk is a bad thing, but swearing doesn't mean you're a jerk, this WILL be abused and ffs $100 for saying a word? The police are either gonna love it because they're corrupt, or hate it because they'll feel like mothers instead of law enforcers

Downfall89

Aug 26, 2009
the_tramp said:
It's a breach of the peace. I can see why they've done it as some people find offensive language objectable and therefore a breach of their peace.

Queensland police are to be given the power to issue on-the-spot public nuisance fines, including fines for swearing in public, to drunken louts across the state.

As far as I know, every place has the right to arrest someone for a breach of the peace and I've seen many a video from UK and US tv police shows where the police officer warns a person, to which they are promptly told to f*** off, and then they arrest them for a breach of the peace.
This. I doubt if you are having a normal conversation with someone in a public place, say a restaurant, and swear, not loudly, no one would mind/care. Even the article said it was targeted at 'unruly lots'; people who are drunk and are disturbing the peace.