Homefront Devs Worried About Possible Montreal Move

vansau

Mortician of Love
May 25, 2010
Homefront Devs Worried About Possible Montreal Move

Kaos Studios staffers are pretty worried that THQ might move them to Montreal after Homefront is done, which is a very real possibility.

<a href=http://www.amazon.com/Homefront-Xbox-360/dp/B003Q53VZC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1296066084&sr=8-1>Homefront developer Kaos Studios sounds like a stressful place to work right now. Aside from <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/107005-Homefront-Studio-Responds-to-Crunch-Time-Complaints>worker claims about being in a prolonged crunch time, now it turns out that some other members of the team are concerned about the New York office's future.

According to Develop, some Kaos staff members are reporting that they're worried about what's going to happen to the studio after Homefront is completed. Apparently, the concern is based on the very real possibility that THQ might uproot the entire team and move it to the publisher's new 400-person-capacity studio in Montreal. There's also a chance that Kaos will wind up with two different offices, one in New York and one in Montreal.

Kaos Studios General Manager David Votypka isn't dismissing this concern, but it sounds like things aren't certain yet: "The goal has always been to find a way to utilize [the Montreal facility] in future Kaos projects ... New York is not the most inexpensive location to develop games."

According to Votypka, the final decision from THQ won't come "for some time yet." Odds are that the decision will be made after Homefront releases in March.

Source: Joystiq

Floppertje

Nov 9, 2009
that would suck, having to move from NY to Montreal... well at least if the entire studio has to move, you've alread got some fellow geeks there ;) also, typo in the title, you missed the T in montreal

Soviet Heavy

Jan 22, 2010
Monreal? Thats just how the Quebecois pronounce it. Teehee.

Actually, I wouldn't mind. I like Montreal, and I like THQ.

Twad

Nov 19, 2009
Its all about the fiscal advantages i guess. Maybe a lot of potential employees too. A lot of studios are moving in montreal.

epunk35

Oct 5, 2009
Well if they want to stay in New York I guess they'll have too...

*puts on sunglasses*

Defend their homefront

Kruxs

Oct 7, 2010
epunk35 said:
Well if they want to stay in New York I guess they'll have too...

*puts on sunglasses*

Defend their homefront
[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X-LZWMc-OEY[/video]

Kruxs

Oct 7, 2010
<iframe title="YouTube video player" class="youtube-player" type="text/html" width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/X-LZWMc-OEY" frameborder="0" allowFullScreen>

dough

Dec 17, 2008
Sasoriuk said:
Montreal's a nice place, I don't see the problem.
If you have a family, you can't just go tell your kids "Ok my job's moved to Canada so get ready to leave. Take only what you need to survive."

Sasoriuk

Nov 16, 2009
dough said:
Sasoriuk said:
If you have a family, you can't just go tell your kids "Ok my job's moved to Canada so get ready to leave. Take only what you need to survive."
*Shrug* Why not? I did!

Hobonicus

Feb 12, 2010
Sasoriuk said:
dough said:
Sasoriuk said:
*Shrug* Why not? I did!
"Why not"? Because it's callous and insensitive towards the people who care about you.

sleeky01

Jan 27, 2011
Hobonicus said:
Sasoriuk said:
dough said:
Sasoriuk said:
*Shrug* Why not? I did!
"Why not"? Because it's callous and insensitive towards the people who care about you.
Every base brat has been through the pack-up-and-move song and dance. Quite afew familys in the business world have done it. Heck, even lower rung wage-slaves have had to pack up the family because the the company transferred the main bread winner.

Why should game developers be exempt? And frankly is the developer is actually going to give it's employees the option of being moved to Montreal then it's a darn sight better thing then what seems to be standard practice to be of just shutting down the doors and starting anew with a hiring blitz.

Hobonicus

Feb 12, 2010
sleeky01 said:
Hobonicus said:
Sasoriuk said:
dough said:
Sasoriuk said:
*Shrug* Why not? I did!
Every base brat has been through the pack-up-and-move song and dance. Quite afew familys in the business world have done it. Heck, even lower rung wage-slaves have had to pack up the family because the the company transferred the main bread winner.

Why should game developers be exempt? And frankly is the developer is actually going to give it's employees the option of being moved to Montreal then it's a darn sight better thing then what seems to be standard practice to be of just shutting down the doors and starting anew with a hiring blitz.
Nobody is arguing whether it's morally okay in the grand scheme of things for them to move. You shouldn't justify an individual's feelings based on a logical majority. The point is, the employees are understandably worried that they may have to upset their current lives by moving to a different part of the world. Not whether it's fair for them compared to others, just that it's a difficult situation.

Of course it's probably better for their career, that doesn't make it any easier personally for them and their family. You write like you think they deserve the pain for having been reasonably upset by it.

sleeky01

Jan 27, 2011
Hobonicus said:
sleeky01 said:
Hobonicus said:
Sasoriuk said:
dough said:
Sasoriuk said:
*Shrug* Why not? I did!

Nobody is arguing whether it's morally okay in the grand scheme of things for them to move. You shouldn't justify an individual's feelings based on a logical majority. The point is, the employees are understandably worried that they may have to upset their current lives by moving to a different part of the world. Not whether it's fair for them compared to others, just that it's a difficult situation.

Of course it's probably better for their career, that doesn't make it any easier personally for them and their family. You write like you think they deserve the pain for having been reasonably upset by it.
No. I write on how most of present day work environments operate. I got the impression that you write like the developers management team treated their workforce like numbers on a balance sheet. They did offer to move them to Montreal.

I remind you that I wasn't the one who used the words "callous and insensitive".

Zer_

Rocket Scientist
Feb 7, 2008
Hobonicus said:
Sasoriuk said:
dough said:
Sasoriuk said:
*Shrug* Why not? I did!
Is it? It's not like you have a choice. Your work place is basically forcing you to.