Homeless man gets 15 years in jail for 100$, CEO gets 40 months for 3 Billion.

BanicRhys

May 31, 2011
Seems fair, the CEO may have stolen more money but he did so in a way that didn't endanger anyone else.

The homeless guy walked up to a bank teller and pretended he was going to shoot her if she didn't give him the money, he was recklessly endangering himself and everyone around him. Plus he was probably a repeat offender if he was going to the detox centre.

C95J

I plan to live forever.
Apr 10, 2010
yeah I saw this a few weeks ago, it sort of saddens me that this guy gets that kind of sentence.

I guess we should look on the bright side now though, instead of being homeless, he has food and water, shelter and he gets free healthcare (I think).

DarkRyter

Dec 15, 2008
One must have had a really good lawyer, and the other one must have had a really bad one.

dyre

Mar 30, 2011
If I'm not mistaken, it's because armed robbery (or, fake armed robbery, w/e) carries a heavier prison time than fraud. Or, given the lack of reliable sources, the story could just be complete bullshit, like other people in the thread have indicated. Not to mention the sentences were given by separate judges in separate states...

Dr. wonderful said:
I can't judge till I know ALL of the Info.
Outrageous! You're supposed to make assumptions and get riled up without knowing all the facts like everyone else!

Liudeius

Oct 5, 2010
In jail you can get $15 for $100? Wow that's a bad deal.

Yay corporate america! More rights than actual people since 1776!

Dr. wonderful said:
That is all the info.

And it's really just a specific example highlighting the over-arcing problem. It has been the case for a long time that corporations and the rich get away with everything, when the poor get away with nothing.

Lawyers are revolting, their job is to help find the truth, not warp the truth to get their guilty client off/a reduced sentence.

John the Gamer said:
I hope the guy gets enough media attention and gets an early probation.
I think you mean parole.

A Pious Cultist

Jul 4, 2009
SuperMse said:
Different courts, different judges, different people issuing sentences.

Don't try to blame the guy condemning the homeless man because some other asshole was too lenient on a CEO. Blame him because he issued an overly harsh sentence for petty theft.
Not to mention different sentencing conventions for corporate fraud and robbing a bank.

John the Gamer

May 2, 2010
I'm just happy to see that he was a respectable man with proper ethics. Added to that is the fact that now he's not homeless or hungry anymore... But yeah, it's not really fair. He gave himself in, only took a minimal amount of money and yet gets 1/4th of his life in jailtime. Not fair.

As for the accountant-guy:

But it's not like you can change the justicial(?) system on your own. 'Cause it you try, you'll get this guy on your ass;

Sorry about that. Couldn't resist.

Do know that I feel really sorry for anyone living in a place other than my lawless underwater utopolis and has to abide to such petty laws.

I hope the guy gets enough media attention and gets an early probation.

Sojoez

Nov 24, 2009
When I finally get my own dictatorship on a remote island ( I made a thread about it once) the penalty for stealing will reflect the amount stolen.

Oh.. and my juridical system will employ common sense. Not laws with loopholes.

Dr. wonderful

Dec 31, 2009
dyre said:
If I'm not mistaken, it's because armed robbery (or, fake armed robbery, w/e) carries a heavier prison time than fraud. Or, given the lack of reliable sources, the story could just be complete bullshit, like other people in the thread have indicated. Not to mention the sentences were given by separate judges in separate states...

Dr. wonderful said:
Outrageous! You're supposed to make assumptions and get riled up without knowing all the facts like everyone else!
I simply can't. I just joined this new club and if I don't think resonable, they take away my Coupon Book!

Khada

Night Angel
Jan 8, 2009
There is a reason that each day, more are more people are growing to lothe the US.

James13v

May 24, 2010
Rich guy has money (= power/influence), homeless guy does not (plus he is black, = -influence). Quite simple, really.

As an idea to make this situation better: make sure those of us who feel that this is wrong go out and secure powerful/influential positions in the world (go get influential uni degrees/the jobs that come with those, etc.), and then when we are in a position of power/influence: don't become corrupt... :/

You could probs protest or start an awareness group, i guess... Pretty sure the state of Louisiana wouldn't care though, they went to war to protect the ability to oppress the black man...

Kenami

Nov 3, 2010
Its going to sound really heartless but here it goes:

What is this mans history with the law was the first thing I asked myself. Despite no evidence he had a weapon on him while "robbing" the bank that doesn't completely destroy the possibility that he had once. So pretty much I wonder if this guy had any bad history with the local law enforcement in the town and perhaps he's caused harm in the town before? Call me jaded but its really hard for me to show sympathy for someone (heck anyone) without asking questions first.

TitanAtlas

Oct 14, 2010
In my country theres a saying (that wont rhyme considering its on another language).

Steal a buck, you're a thief;
Steal a million, you're a doctor!

(A doctor has in man of high-stature on the society).

oktalist

Feb 16, 2009
The purpose of the law is and always has been primarily to protect the interests of a wealthy elite.

xdom125x

Dec 14, 2010
They were different circumstances. Plus, didn't the homeless guy do it solely to go to jail for free shelter, clothes, and food?

Sojoez said:
When I finally get my own dictatorship on a remote island ( I made a thread about it once) the penalty for stealing will reflect the amount stolen.
So, if I embezzled $1 million while another guy robbed 4 people at gunpoint for a total of $1000, I would get more jail time?

The circumstances matter. Not just how much money is involved.

spartan231490

Jan 14, 2010
Jabberwock xeno said:

This disgusts me.

How do you guys feel about this? Any idea of what we can do to make this shit better?
This isn't really an example of a problem with the justice system in general, IMO. This is an example of what happens when judges either go bad or are just plain stupid to begin with. The judge has authority to modify the sentence based on extenuating circumstances, and that's a good system, until you get a bad judge. The judges should have crushed the rich greedy prick and gone easy on the guy in rehab, but at the same time, the 15 yrs will prolly treat the rehab guy pretty well. It'll help him get the rehab he needs and it's a guaranteed place to sleep. medical care, exercise facilities, maybe he asked for a hard sentence. It's not uncommon for homeless men to commit a crime so that they have a place to sleep and a meal.

Sojoez

Nov 24, 2009
xdom125x said:
They were different circumstances. Plus, didn't the homeless guy do it solely to go to jail for free shelter, clothes, and food?

So, if I embezzled $1 million while another guy robbed 4 people at gunpoint for a total of $1000, I would get more jail time?

The circumstances matter. Not just how much money is involved.
Yes, yes you would. That is of course only if the armed robbery didn't have any casualties apart from some nightmares for the victims.
I'm thinking long term here, the armed robbery is wrong but doesnt have any long time effects. The embezzlement of 1 million might cause people to loose their jobs or even make a company go bankrupt.

I all fairness though the amount of jail time would be roughly the same.
You: Large amount of money = +15 years. No casualties = -5 years.
Robber: Small amount of money = +3 years. Illegal firearm and threatening with death = +12 years.
No casualties = -5 years
Also, the robber probably did it out of need (sick mother/jobless/hungry). You would do it out of greed.

vxicepickxv

Slayer of Bothan Spies
Sep 28, 2008
BanicRhys said:
Seems fair, the CEO may have stolen more money but he did so in a way that didn't endanger anyone else.
[sarcasm]Yeah, because all those guys who committed fraud with Enron sure didn't hurt anybody else.[/sarcasm]

There's a note on the first page about different judges and rulings, but I would like to remind everyone that the CEO case was a federal case, with federal prosecutors involved. The robbery was a state level case. That being said, white collar crimes at that level(maybe, I think this one wasn't as bad as some), which have chances to decimate economies, should involve some VERY long sentences, provided there's actually a regulation or law that corporate overlords didn't bother to pay to have removed.

Then again, what the hell do I know, I'm watching my country fall like a fat cow pushed out of a helicopter, and I can't jump after it with a parachute.

Of-the-Lion

Feb 18, 2010
Chappy said:
This may not be as cruel as people are thinking.

He is going to prison yes but it may be possible that the judge sent him there on such a sentance on sympathy.

I had a Local Magistrate as a Teacher in college he stated once how he had a hearing where a homeless man would commit a minor crime every Christmas and he would sent him to prison over the Christmas holiday, Why do this? The man was committing the crime because he wanted to go to prison where he had shelter and food available and the Magistrate obliged him so he didn't starve over Christmas.

It may be a similar circumstance he may be going to prison but for 15 years he is going to have clean clothes, shelter, food and medical care that he wouldn't have living on the street.

There are two sides to every story and sometimes sending a man to prison is a mercy that looks like a curse.
Don't forget the prison rape and shivings. I'm not saying that he shouldn't have gone to jail, or that he may not have wanted to. The fact was, this guy stole something that would be settled in small claims court and the CEO stole more money than most people will make in their entire life. Money that could have been taxed to help Brown stay out out of prison, or keep him in it. I dunno. Just seems wrong either way.