Homestar Runner To Return Later This Year, Co-Creator Confirms

IanDavis

Blue Blaze Irregular 1st Class
Aug 18, 2012
Homestar Runner To Return Later This Year, Co-Creator Confirms

Blown away by the response to the April Fools episode, The Brothers Chap return to the animation game.

Homestar Runner is an internet legend. It served up witty videos long before YouTube was even technologically possible. Matt and Mark Chapman's flash animations were imbued with a sense of eternal childhood, where the things of the past never really went away. Eventually, the updates started to dwindle and eventually stopped, until earlier this year. On April first, the site mysteriously updated with an unexpected [a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/133427-Homestar-Runner-Updates-For-The-First-Time-in-Four-Years]April Fools episode[/a]. Now, Matt Chapman has confirmed that the web series will indeed continue later this year.

"When we did that April Fools update this year, way more people looked at it than we ever even imagined would have at this point," Chapman said on the Jeff Rubin podcast. "[W]e did that thing as sort of a test to get back into doing it. We'd love to start making things again."

The world has changed a lot since the series went dark four years ago, and even more so since it first launched in 2000. Will Strong Bad check his twitter account? Will the lappy be replaced with a tablet? While he confirmed that The Brothers Chap will return later this year, Matt gave no hints as to how often we could expect new updates. "That's all stuff we'd have to feel out," Chapman said. "I'm just excited to make these dumb animal characters talk again."

Source: [a href=http://www.jeffrubinjeffrubin.com/post/91168048435/the-first-two-years-was-just-this-fun-thing-we]Jeff Rubin Rubin Show[/a] via [a href=http://mashable.com/2014/07/09/homestar-runner-comeback/]Mashable[/a]

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
But the real question is, what will become of those peasants and their (formerly) thatched roof cottages?

Weresquirrel

Aug 13, 2008
Hell frickin' yeah!

Homestar Runner is one of my favourite websites. Seeing the April Fool's update had me grinning from ear to ear, remembering all the good stuff.

Artemicion

Need superslick, Kupo.
Dec 7, 2009
This is the most important thing to happen in two years. Can't wait for it to start up again.

MrBrightside919

Oct 2, 2008
I think the real question is this...

Can we REALLY have them running around with their short pants, upsetting the balance?!?

Saulkar

Legacy
Aug 25, 2010
Country
Canuckistan
Holy shit! The Nostalgia.

WINDOWS 98! andhomestarrunner, AHEM!!!

Reminds me of skulking out old flash sights such as funny-part, funny-flash, and newgrounds before youtube even existed. Ahhhhhhhhh, the mammaries, I MEAN MEMORIES!

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
Actually kinda' exciting. I mean they'll need to change a few things, but I still play SBCG4AP and its still legit funny!

Tanis

The Last Albino
Aug 30, 2010
Next you're going to tell me STICK DEATH is coming back.

Geez, do I feel dated sometimes.

hazabaza1

Want Skyrim. Want. Do want.
Nov 26, 2008
Oh.
Oh.
OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOH
This site was like the first proper animation series I got into when I found out about the internet. Aw man I'm excited now, I just hope there'll be a way to watch it that doesn't mean using the (not very good for animation viewing) flash thing.

Apr 25, 2009
YES! YES! OH HAPPY DAY!

I seriously can't wait, I used to watch Homestar every day. I can recite several episodes word-perfect in my head.

Mr.Mattress

Level 2 Lumberjack
Jul 17, 2009
YEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHH!

I started watching Homestar Runner during the last year it was on (2010), and I had no idea that the Christmas Costume Episode would be the last, but by next year I realized it was done. During that whole year, I watched all of the Strong Bad Emails and most of the main material, and it certainly was fun.

I hope they don't change too much though when coming back. I also hope that everyone's favorite Midget Homestar and mine, Homsar, is alive and well (The Christmas Special in 2010 had him dying in the snow).

Long live Homestar Runner!

Neverhoodian

Apr 2, 2008
This...is...AMAZING! Best news I've heard all year!

Now if you'll excuse me, I have to go watch some of my favorite Sbemails in anticipation.

CrazyGirl17

I am a banana!
Sep 11, 2009
Huzzah! This is the best news I've heard in a while... now if you'll excuse me, I got some cartoons to watch.

Brian Tams

Sep 3, 2012
First off, yes!

Secondly, I had no idea they did an April Fool's Episode. I have now wasted the past two or so hours going down a homestar runner themed rabbit hole.

I've got just one thing to say: TRAGDOR!!!!!

Rad Party God

Party like it's 2010!
Feb 23, 2010
Saulkar said:
Holy shit! The Nostalgia.

WINDOWS 98! andhomestarrunner, AHEM!!!

Reminds me of skulking out old flash sights such as funny-part, funny-flash, and newgrounds before youtube even existed. Ahhhhhhhhh, the mammaries, I MEAN MEMORIES!
I guess most of us started to consume internet media with flash animations (some really crude by today's standards), so yeah, Newgrounds was a site I frequented a lot in the early 2000's.

My only exposure of Homestar Runner was on Telltale's Strongbad's games and I found them pretty funny, even if I couldn't understand half of the jokes (it relied a bit too much on references of it's own show), but I saw the aprils fools episode and I REALLY liked it, I'm definitely looking forward to seeing more of these in the next few months :)

phlip

Aug 16, 2010
Did you listen to a different Jeff Rubin podcast than I did? Because in the one I listened to, he very explicitly didn't confirm anything, because nothing was set in stone and he didn't want to make promises he couldn't keep and disappoint people.

He said he really wanted to bring it back, was actively trying to bring it back, hoped it would come back this year... But didn't confirm anything.

In short: I recommend everyone enthused by the news to actually listen to the whole podcast, as it's very interesting, and don't just trust this summary.

Elvis Starburst

Unprofessional Rant Artist
Legacy
Aug 9, 2011
fix-the-spade said:
But the real question is, what will become of those peasants and their (formerly) thatched roof cottages?
They'll be burninated, obviously!

OT: Sweet. If this returns, I'll be happy to check it out once more~

Je-Tze

Aug 26, 2009
> The world has changed a lot since the series went dark four years ago, and even more so since it first launched in 2000.
> Will Strong Bad check his twitter account? Will the lappy be replaced with a tablet?

Ummm... you may have missed the point on that one. :)
It'll be more like Strong Bad checking his MySpace page on his Blackberry, or PC with WindowsME and Netscape, or maybe an Apple Newton.

Malbourne

Ari!
Sep 4, 2013
Yay yay yay!

I didn't even get a bunch of the pop cultural references, as they were, when I watched the Strong Bad at the height of his peak, but it indelibly became a part of my being.

I can't tell if it's ironic or appropriate that the one day serving as an acid test for the website happened to be April Fools'.