Homeworld - Deserts of Kharak Review- A Sandstorm of Nostalgia

StewShearerOld

Geekdad News Writer
Jan 5, 2013
Homeworld - Deserts of Kharak Review- A Sandstorm of Nostalgia

Deserts of Kharak takes Homeworld out of space but still sticks too close, at times, to the series' formula.

Read Full Article

Czann

Jan 22, 2014
I love what they are doing with Homeworld. I just wish that Freespace received the same treatment.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
Czann said:
I love what they are doing with Homeworld. I just wish that Freespace received the same treatment.
That would be sweet yes. I remember playing that game on the recommendation of a friend. "Hey, you like Wing Commander so much, try Freespace." So I did, and I was like :O when the cap ships and their beam weapons came into play. It felt really close to being a fight pilot in a Babylon 5 episode, fighting against those cap ships. It was most intense xD I'd love for a remake of the Freespace games, though that would mean I'd have to buy a new joystick. Hmm.

OT: Good review. I'm looking forward to the game when it comes out. Homeworld was a random, late night purchase for me loooong ago, and it's become one of my favorite games of all time. Delighted to see the series continued.

Vigormortis

Nov 21, 2007
StewShearer said:
I hate myself for mixing up the launch date and forgetting to pre-order. I could have saved 20%.

Anyway, really happy to hear it's at least as good as I'd hoped. I do have one question that wasn't covered in the review, however...

How is Paul Ruskay's soundtrack? One of my favorite parts of the old Homeworld games was Ruskay's incredibe soundtrack. Every song was pitch perfect for it's respective mission and they set the tone and atmosphere beautifully.

Or, more to the point, do we get more tracks like this? -

meiam

Elite Member
Dec 9, 2010
There's a few song like it, but I found it was more low key than either HW 1 or 2. It's good but it often disappear behind the noise. Although I do like the chatter between unit that happen when nothing is going on, they just talk about technical stuff between each others which I rather like for the immersion. There's also no adagio for string moment. But the style does fit thematically to the desert setting.