Homeworld-esque Void Destroyer Reaches Kickstarter Goal

StewShearerOld

Geekdad News Writer
Jan 5, 2013
Homeworld-esque Void Destroyer Reaches Kickstarter Goal

With only a few days left to go Void Destroyer has exceeded its goal.

Originally released in 1999, Homeworld took real-time strategy, generally locked in two dimension, into glorious 3D, giving players control of massive war fleets they could send into epic pitched battles that were often as much fun to watch as they were to command. While the original game would see two sequels, the franchise would somewhat fall off the map after the release of Homeworld 2 in 2003. Though the series' fans have since been clamoring for a return to its universe, Homeworld has lain largely dormant. That being the case, games like Void Destroyer could do a lot to fill the hole left in its wake.

Coupling three dimensional command elements that look more than a tad similar to those of Homeworld with optional dog-fighting action, Paul Zakrzewksi's Void Destroyer began its Kickstarter on May 30th, 2013 with a goal of $20,000. Now, with four days still left in its campaign Void Destroyer has not only achieved its goal but surpassed it. The project's total, as of this moment, is $25,309, enough to unlock its first stretch goal, an additional playable faction.

Personally, as a long-time lover of Homeworld, Void Destroyer simply looks like a treat. Just watching the latest trailer gives me flashbacks to locking the camera onto one tiny fighter in the midst of an epic battle and just watching the carnage course around me. The fact that Void Destroyer takes things a step further and actually lets you pilot individual ships in battle just makes the 1999 version of myself want to squeal with joy. Void Destroyer, as evidenced by its successful campaign, looks like a winner and we can't wait to see how the finished product pans out.

Source: <a href=http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1718477862/void-destroyer>Kickstarter

JadeWah

Nov 4, 2008
This looks interesting.

There is even a playable alpha version for download, good for people unsure if they want to become backers for the project.

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
Ew.

Looks ugly and grey and murky compared to what I remember of Homeworld 2.

(Yes, I'm aware that the cutscenes in that video are in greyscale.)

Smooth Operator

Oct 5, 2010
Why you report on this so late... it looks epic, this is the sort of thing I will gladly throw money at and not some "we bring Homeworld to iOS" delusion.

Hopefully he gets plenty more money because he obviously knows what made Homeworld awesome and how to recreate it.

RicoADF

Welcome back Commander
Jun 2, 2009
Desert Punk said:
The escapist really needs to report more promptly on cool kickstarters like this!

Backed it now that I know about it.
Agreed, this is the first I've heard of it :-O, I'm so throwing money at this *throws cash at screen* oh... right.

StewShearerOld

Geekdad News Writer
Jan 5, 2013
Desert Punk said:
The escapist really needs to report more promptly on cool kickstarters like this!

Backed it now that I know about it.
I know right? What a pack of lazy.... Wait...

DTWolfwood

Better than Vash!
Oct 20, 2009
More games that is liken to HOMEWORLD? yes please.

Looking forward to HARDWARE [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0kqNp1fZ9xQ] too. From the creators of Homeworld :D