Homeworld Remastered Footage Coming This Weekend

StewShearerOld

Geekdad News Writer
Jan 5, 2013
Homeworld Remastered Footage Coming This Weekend

[tweet t=https://twitter.com/HomeworldGame/status/558293035839004672]

<a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/tag/view/gearbox>Gearbox will be showing off new gameplay footage from Homeworld Remastered Collection at its PAX South panel this weekend.

If you're like me, then your most anticipated upcoming game is Homeworld Remastered Collection. Sure, there are other releases I'm looking forward to in the near future, but the high definition re-release of the classic strategy franchise has been topping my must have list since the moment Gearbox announced it <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/126166-Gearbox-Announces-HD-Remakes-of-Homeworld-1-And-2>back in 2013. One of my biggest frustrations, in turn, is how sparse details about the collection have often been. To date, we still haven't seen the remasters in action and a release date has been nowhere to be found.

According to a press release sent out by Gearbox this morning however, fans of series may soon know a little more. In the release, the company stated that it has "news to share" and will be doing so this Sunday, January 24th, during the "Inside Gearbox Software" panel at PAX South. While the studio didn't provide many hints as to what this news would entail, it confirmed that it will be showing off the first official chunk of gameplay footage from the remastered games. Gamers hoping to catch the panel and the footage's premier from home will be able to via <a href=http://www.twitch.tv/pax>PAX's Twitch channel. The panel is scheduled to begin at 10:30AM CT. Gearbox, in its release, also stated that it will "have lots more to talk about in the coming weeks and months."

Now, granted, this basically just amounts to an announcement about a potential announcement. With Gearbox's info drops about the collection being relatively <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/138401-New-Homeworld-Remastered-Screens-Emerge-From-PAX-Australia>few and far between however, it's hard not to get excited about what they might show us. Honestly, a release date is all it would take to make this old Homeworld-loving soul happy. Keep an eye on Twitch this weekend and also check out the new official Homeworld social media channels for more info.

Alexander Kirby

Mar 29, 2011
It'll be interesting to see if they've changed any of the gameplay. I doubt they'll have increased the max number of ships on screen because the original game could handle plenty, any more would just be a clusterfuck. In fact I can't think of anything modern technology could allow you to add to the game (other than better visuals and sound) without significantly changing the gameplay. Bullet deflection perhaps??

Ishal

Oct 30, 2012
Rrrr Gearbox grumble** grumble**

I'm excited to see this. I hope they don't fuck it up. If they don't, that means something else entirely.

I'll be giving money to Gearbox... I think I'm going to be sick.

xxobot

Jun 2, 2014
Alexander Kirby said:
It'll be interesting to see if they've changed any of the gameplay. I doubt they'll have increased the max number of ships on screen because the original game could handle plenty, any more would just be a clusterfuck. In fact I can't think of anything modern technology could allow you to add to the game (other than better visuals and sound) without significantly changing the gameplay. Bullet deflection perhaps??
I am more concerned about what is under the hood so to speak. The original was decently (and accidentally) equipped to support modding, with it becoming even better in the likes of homeworld 2.

tl dr. Modability for relic games have been the norm rather than the exception; But are gearbox games usually easily moddable?

Makabriel

May 13, 2013
StewShearer said:
If you're like me, then your most anticipated upcoming game is Homeworld Remastered Collection. Sure, there are other releases I'm looking forward to in the near future, but the high definition re-release of the classic strategy franchise has been topping my must have list since the moment Gearbox announced it <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/126166-Gearbox-Announces-HD-Remakes-of-Homeworld-1-And-2>back in 2013. One of my biggest frustrations, in turn, is how sparse details about the collection have often been. To date, we still haven't seen the remasters in action and a release date has been nowhere to be found.
Hmm.. I could have sworn there was footage at the last E3 or something. I remember seeing something. May have to look around.

Kerric

Jul 28, 2012
Is there any word if they will produce a Mac OS X version? My son and I loved Homeworld 2 on the Mac, and now it no longer works under the current OS.

Vigormortis

Nov 21, 2007
StewShearer said:
If you're like me, then your most anticipated upcoming game is Homeworld Remastered Collection.
You mean it's not this?

http://blackbirdinteractive.com/

I'm shocked, Stew. Shocked!

Well, not that shocked. The team's been incredibly quiet for months, so there's not much to see so far.

As odd as it is, Gearbox has been more talkative about the Remaster of Homeworld 1 than the Blackbird team has been about their Homeworld sequel.

Still, as a fellow Homeworld fan, you have to be at least a little excited for a third entry in the series.

Ishal

Oct 30, 2012
Vigormortis said:
Still, as a fellow Homeworld fan, you have to be at least a little excited for a third entry in the series.
I saw that trailer... and I'm a bit confused.

Those vehicles look like the ones shown in the beginning of Homeworld cutscene where they found the Higaran ship. Desert location seems to be like Kharak. Is this a sequel or a prequel? Cuz that wrecked ship has some red stripes on it that make it look kinda like a progenitor dreadnought.

Vigormortis

Nov 21, 2007
Ishal said:
I saw that trailer... and I'm a bit confused.

Those vehicles look like the ones shown in the beginning of Homeworld cutscene where they found the Higaran ship. Desert location seems to be like Kharak. Is this a sequel or a prequel? Cuz that wrecked ship has some red stripes on it that make it look kinda like a progenitor dreadnought.
It's a prequel, of sorts.

It's...hard to say, really. The game started out as Hardware: Shipbreakers. An IP completely separate from the Homeworld IP, since the original Homeworld team (after having formed Blackbird studios) didn't have the rights to the franchise. But, long story short, Gearbox gave them the rights and Blackbird changed the game to Homeworld: Shipbreakers.

So it's a sequel, that's a prequel, that's also something else.

Like I'd said, the team's been incredibly mum on details for months. So there's not much to go on beyond "it's a Homeworld game being made by the original team from Relic".

Which, for me, is enough to get the excitement juices flowing.

Alexander Kirby

Mar 29, 2011
xxobot said:
I am more concerned about what is under the hood so to speak. The original was decently (and accidentally) equipped to support modding, with it becoming even better in the likes of homeworld 2.
That's a good point, all this thinking of what they might add and I hadn't considered what they may be taking away thanks to modern business practices. I've got used to Steam so at this point I'm not worried about DRM. As for DLC I honestly hope they release Cataclysm in HD at some point, little things like adding a couple new ships to the game though I don't think I'd stand for. I don't really have high hopes for modding, but we'll see; they seem to have been feeling a little generous so far.

StewShearerOld

Geekdad News Writer
Jan 5, 2013
Vigormortis said:
StewShearer said:
If you're like me, then your most anticipated upcoming game is Homeworld Remastered Collection.
You mean it's not this?

http://blackbirdinteractive.com/

I'm shocked, Stew. Shocked!

Well, not that shocked. The team's been incredibly quiet for months, so there's not much to see so far.

As odd as it is, Gearbox has been more talkative about the Remaster of Homeworld 1 than the Blackbird team has been about their Homeworld sequel.

I am indeed. But I don't know how good the new game will be. I know for a fact that the original Homeworld is a masterpiece.

Vigormortis

Nov 21, 2007
StewShearer said:
I am indeed. But I don't know how good the new game will be. I know for a fact that the original Homeworld is a masterpiece.
A fair point. But it still remains to be seen what changes Gearbox have made to the game beyond just graphical fidelity.

The hopeless optimist in me wants to think Remastered is just that. A graphical facelift.

The pragmatic pessimist in me is convinced they've butchered the very core of the game.

Time will tell.