Honest Game Trailers: Mad Max

Team Hollywood

Feb 9, 2009
Mad Max

In the tradition of Jaws, The Matrix, and E.T., get ready to experience another awesome movie with a mediocre, rushed out video game adaptation - Mad Max!

Watch Video

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
Its funny how everyone calling this game mediocre seems to willingly ignore that the game is built and designed better than every game you claim it ripped off. This "open world" is actually open. as in, it does not have borders. it procedurically generate a map when you go outside of it. and its full of loot. It uses actual (altrough wonky sometimes) physics for its combar instead of prerendered animations like ass creed. but no, its mediocre because you dont like sidequests. no wonder the reviewing media is dieing, they dont know how to review.

Darks63

Mar 8, 2010
Despite everything you said I wish i had a ps4 since i'm a sucker for these types of open world games.

Genocidicles

Sep 13, 2012
The whole 'It has nothing to do with the movies' seems like a dumb complaint when none of the movies have anything in common with each other except being about a guy named Max.

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
Strazdas said:
This "open world" is actually open. as in, it does not have borders. it procedurically generate a map when you go outside of it. and its full of loot.
Bollocks.

If you drive beyond the edge of the map you get a pulsing warning message across your screen. Then if you go a bit further your health starts dropping until you either turn around or die.

It uses actual (altrough wonky sometimes) physics for its combar instead of prerendered animations like ass creed.
Bullshit. With a side order of bollocks.

The counters, the shiv kills, the reversals, the disarms and the executions are all premade scripted animations. Exactly like in Assassin's Creed.

Also, that's not what "prerendered" means. Just so you know.

No wonder the reviewing media is dieing, they dont know how to review.
I'm not big on reviews myself (are you sure this video is even intended as a review?), but I'd trust them infinitely more than a frothy fan who has to resort to inaccuracies and/or outright lies in order to defend his precious from any scary criticism.

I don't think the game is terrible mind you. I had a bit of fun with it. It's just very, very average.

Or, in other words...

Katherine Kerensky

Why, or Why Not?
Mar 27, 2009
Funny, doesn't seem mediocre or rushed to me. The one little mistake I encountered was when I picked up some loot and fell through a walkway. Into a part that you can be in anyway. In 28 hours of gameplay so far. I've been having a lot of fun with it so far. Unlike most games, I'm actually finding the grinding and endless looting enjoyable. And I bought the game and started playing it wanting to hate it, wanting it to be bad, so I'd have an excuse to stop playing and get a refund. It exceeded my expectations.

Strazdas

May 28, 2011
Zhukov said:
Bollocks.

If you drive beyond the edge of the map you get a pulsing warning message across your screen. Then if you go a bit further your health starts dropping until you either turn around or die.
your health drops because you are in a sandstorm, but you can find various loot there that is generated and go on for literally hours.

I'm not big on reviews myself (are you sure this video is even intended as a review?), but I'd trust them infinitely more than a frothy fan who has to resort to inaccuracies and/or outright lies in order to defend his precious from any scary criticism.
except nothing i said is a lie and i dont think you even played the game now.

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
Strazdas said:
Zhukov said:
Bollocks.

your health drops because you are in a sandstorm, but you can find various loot there that is generated and go on for literally hours.
The sandstorm that starts up every time as soon as you drive beyond the edges of the map.

And it'll kill you in about 20 seconds, not hours.

Even if you could drive around for hours beyond the map, that's hardly what I'd call great game design. "Ohh, I can drive for hours in an empty sand storm! Why didn't they put that on the back of the box?! GOTY! Best open world ever!"

Strazdas said:
except nothing i said is a lie
You said the game's combat uses physics instead of Assassin's Creed-style animations. The combat is in fact chock full of Assassin's Creed-style animations.

Lie or inaccuracy on your part. Take your pick.

Strazdas said:
and i dont think you even played the game now.
Oh look, another opportunity to prove you wrong.

Here's a link to my Steam profile [http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198019989155]. 21 hours of Mad Max at time of posting, right there at the top of the list.

Strazdas

May 28, 2011
Zhukov said:
The sandstorm that starts up every time as soon as you drive beyond the edges of the map.

Even if you could drive around for hours beyond the map, that's hardly what I'd call great game design. "Ohh, I can drive for hours in an empty sand storm! Why didn't they put that on the back of the box?! GOTY! Best open world ever!"
Yes, it is supposed to start. the map is surounded by a sandstorm. The ability to drive out of the map is merely a secondary thing in the game and they never expected most people to find it. Not does it make it the GOTY, which i never claimed Mad Max is.

You said the game's combat uses physics instead of Assassin's Creed-style animations. The combat is in fact chock full of Assassin's Creed-style animations.

Lie or inaccuracy on your part. Take your pick.
The game does use physics for a lot of its combat. yes, some hand to hand moves are animations, that still work within its physics engine (something that isnt actually true in most games). The only inaccuracity was the incorectly used term "prerendered". Should have been "prescripted".

Oh look, another opportunity to prove you wrong.
Yep, i was wrong on that one. Perhaps you just dont know about the underlying technology, then.

Mar 30, 2010
Katherine Kerensky said:
Funny, doesn't seem mediocre or rushed to me. The one little mistake I encountered was when I picked up some loot and fell through a walkway. Into a part that you can be in anyway. In 28 hours of gameplay so far. I've been having a lot of fun with it so far. Unlike most games, I'm actually finding the grinding and endless looting enjoyable. And I bought the game and started playing it wanting to hate it, wanting it to be bad, so I'd have an excuse to stop playing and get a refund. It exceeded my expectations.
I went into this game thinking "it's a movie tie-in game, it'll be crap" and I'm loving it. The characters are sufficiently kooky to be Mad Max characters, the aesthetics of the vehicles and settlements feel very true to the films, and the constant scarcity of water, fuel and ammo makes it feel like a proper survival game. My only gripe so far is the levelling system, as I've only a couple of levels to go before hitting full 'Road Warrior' rank and I'm still working through Gutgash's territories (the second of five) - although I guess this owes more to my desire to scour the wasteland clean of Scrotus' War Boys than it does to poor levelling.

Overall I think this game, and this review, highlight for me perfectly the reasons for always making up my own mind about games, because if I had listened to this review I'd have passed up on an absolute belter of a game.

Oh, and for anyone tempted to actually just "wait for the storms to blow over", those storms chuck about huge containers filled with scrap for anyone willing to drive out into the storm and harpoon themselves some one-ton metal tumbleweeds.

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
Strazdas said:
Zhukov said:

Yes, it is supposed to start. the map is surounded by a sandstorm. The ability to drive out of the map is merely a secondary thing in the game and they never expected most people to find it. Not does it make it the GOTY, which i never claimed Mad Max is.
So first you say that the game has no borders, then you say it's surrounded by a sandstorm (which kills you).

That sounds an awful lot like a border to me buddy!
The game does use physics for a lot of its combat. yes, some hand to hand moves are animations, that still work within its physics engine (something that isnt actually true in most games).
Bollocks.

I've seen both Max and enemies clip through walls and staircases in order to complete all those many, many pre-scripted animations. They're scripted combat animations just like in any other similar game. Just like in, oh, say, Assassin's Creed.
Perhaps you just dont know about the underlying technology, then.
That's real cute coming from the guy who didn't know what pre-rendered meant.

Strazdas

May 28, 2011
Zhukov said:
I already explained to you why the sandstorm is not a border in my first reply to you and your following statements only show me that i was correct about you not knowing how the technology works. I see no point in getting your rude responses any further and thus this will be my last post in this topic.

JagerBombastic

Mar 3, 2014
Ok I except the criticisms but I still don't believe this is that bad of a game, just a little tedious at times but I have to be honest with you I can't remember think back to a game and not thinking that it was at times tedious; all games have some repartition in them and that's not a bad thing, hell, that to me is all Pokemon is and ever was.