Honest Game Trailers: Metal Gear Solid

Team Hollywood

Feb 9, 2009
Metal Gear Solid

From the developer that fired everyone who made their classic franchises comes the game series that's named after 3 random, cool sounding words in a row. Metal Gear Solid!

Watch Video

Saltyk

Sane among the insane.
Sep 12, 2010
Kojima can do no wrong and everything in intentional.
The story is so far up it's own ass, it will never see the light of day.
Can't it be both?

I say this as a fan. The story is insane and ridiculous. But also grounded and realistic. It switches between the two on a whim. That's half the charm of Metal Gear Solid. It takes its ludicrous nonsense serious.

Where else do we get a character crying at the sight of Old Snake's body, and a cyborg ninja slicing his way through an office building, and a naked guy doing cartwheels?

If Konami thinks anyone other than Kojima can do Metal Gear and make it Metal Gear, they are living in a dream world. Sadly, I'm pretty sure they think anyone can do Metal Gear.

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
Maybe I'm a 9 year old stuck in a 30 year old's body...but that was a PERFECTLY executed fart joke.

Thank you very much, I really needed a good laugh today.

yellowmage

Mar 2, 2011
Saltyk said:
Can't it be both?

I say this as a fan. The story is insane and ridiculous. But also grounded and realistic. It switches between the two on a whim. That's half the charm of Metal Gear Solid. It takes its ludicrous nonsense serious.

Where else do we get a character crying at the sight of Old Snake's body, and a cyborg ninja slicing his way through an office building, and a naked guy doing cartwheels?

If Konami thinks anyone other than Kojima can do Metal Gear and make it Metal Gear, they are living in a dream world. Sadly, I'm pretty sure they think anyone can do Metal Gear.
Well, they clearly thought anyone other than Team Silent could do Silent Hill (except Kojima and Guillermo del Toro), so?

vallorn

Tunnel Open, Communication Open.
Nov 18, 2009
Saltyk said:
Can't it be both?

I agree, the games veer wildly between those two states, sometimes on a minute to minute basis. One minute you could be having a serious conversation about the horrors of war, and then next... Well... The best way I can put it is "Something suitably Kojima esque happens".

The best example in my opinion is MGS1, Snake get's tortured in quite a shocking (I'm not sorry!) scene, and then immediately afterwards has to escape his cell, the methods of which are ludicrous and full of low brow humour.