Honest question, why is camping frowned upon?

Casimir_Effect

Aug 26, 2010
Imagine a server where everyone camps because it is the safest thing to do to get kills. In other words, imagine a server with 2-64 people standing/crouching/lying in place an never moving for the Xmins the map lasts for. Does that seem fun?

This is, of course, a problem which should not exist for a well-designed multiplayer FPS. Camping in TF2 doesn't work - as people have pointed out there are classes such as the Demoman and Spy which make it hard, or the general implication of teamwork the game has which can overcome anything. Older games (which if I'm honest I think are the pinnacle of MP FPS) such as Unreal Tournament or Quake 3 made camping a bad prospect because so much of the game was about movement: if you stayed still it was very easy for someone to kill you.

My point is, camping is bad because it picks up on a problem of the most popular type of MP FPS around these days, ie. the Modern Man Shooter. No one likes to see a flaw in that which they consider perfection, and so those that take advantage of that design flaw are labelled pariahs.

Harrowdown

Jan 11, 2010
The way I see it, there's a big difference between camping and 'camping'. The former would be remaining hidden in one spot, usually if you're playing a sniper, waiting for an opportunity. The latter would be waiting at a spawn point or something, and gunning down your opponents before they can even react.

wooty

Vi Britannia
Aug 1, 2009
It gets very boring very fast, been in numerous games where theyve reached the time limit because everyone else is waiting for everyone else to move....which never happened.

Also it defeats the point of most game modes, when.attackers are camping in say s&d.....then theres no point in playing it. Same goes for BF3, rush mode is pathetic now. The defenders all camp the objectives and for some unknown fucking reason, the attackers are usually camping in their base with snipers all the time.

I usually get blamed for losing matches because I die at the hands of campers. Thats because im impatient, I dont spend £40 on a game in order to sit in a room and play a sitting in a room simulator, barricading myself in there with 3 claymores and a bitchbeat sensor.

Royta

Aug 7, 2009
Fiad said:
I came into this thread expecting something about actual camping, tents and such. I was confused as I had never really heard that camping was frowned upon. This makes much more sense.
hehehehehehe. I can just imagine your face when you read this. Awesome;p

All in all, thanks for the replies guys! Made things a lot more clear.
I never really thought about looking at camping and 'defensive play' as two different elements.

Batou667

Oct 5, 2011
Rednog said:
I spend like a minute running around to the other side only to get mowed down by a guy who isn't helping his team mates, he is just sitting in a corner with a thumb up his ass staring down his scope waiting for a single person to come by every 5 minutes.
..so he is helping his team mates, by filling a sentry/sniper/anti-flank role?

I can't see the problem with camping. In a few games, it goes against the accepted playstyle and exploits weapon/map/equipment loopholes that the games designers never really expected anybody would be dickish enough to do. But in the majority of FPS games, why not camp?

In any game that features a sniper rifle, guess what, camping is going to be tactically advantageous. That's how snipers operate in real life. Hell, that's how warfare in general works in real life. When was the last time you saw US Marines bunny-hopping and rocket jumping across the Afghan desert, no-scoping Taliban? Not every game is meant to be played like Quake 3.

Most modern FPS games support a variety of viable play-styles - in Halo, for example, you've got your standard run-and-gun guy with a moderate headshot weapon, you get the guys who like to go crazy apesh*t with the jetpack and close combat, you've got vehicles, and yes - you've got snipers, who will spend most of the time between one or two favourable vantage points. There are definite cons to camping, including the fact that after a couple of shots every beggar on the opposing side knows where you are, and will probably select you as a priority target. And on games that have KillCam, like Modern Warfare, your position doesn't stay a secret for long.

tl;dr: camping isn't always cheap.

(People who play Streetfighter and just throw an endless stream of fireballs... now THAT p*sses me off).

Azure9

Sep 19, 2010
I think its frowned on because as a camper i'm bored of waiting for people and plus i know i will always win which is also boring and as the person being camped they are bored because they are always going to lose.

Its sort of like cheating at a card game when there is no money involved

Azure9

Sep 19, 2010
Batou667 said:
Rednog said:
I spend like a minute running around to the other side only to get mowed down by a guy who isn't helping his team mates, he is just sitting in a corner with a thumb up his ass staring down his scope waiting for a single person to come by every 5 minutes.
..so he is helping his team mates, by filling a sentry/sniper/anti-flank role?

I can't see the problem with camping. In a few games, it goes against the accepted playstyle and exploits weapon/map/equipment loopholes that the games designers never really expected anybody would be dickish enough to do. But in the majority of FPS games, why not camp?

In any game that features a sniper rifle, guess what, camping is going to be tactically advantageous. That's how snipers operate in real life. Hell, that's how warfare in general works in real life. When was the last time you saw US Marines bunny-hopping and rocket jumping across the Afghan desert, no-scoping Taliban? Not every game is meant to be played like Quake 3.

Most modern FPS games support a variety of viable play-styles - in Halo, for example, you've got your standard run-and-gun guy with a moderate headshot weapon, you get the guys who like to go crazy apesh*t with the jetpack and close combat, you've got vehicles, and yes - you've got snipers, who will spend most of the time between one or two favourable vantage points. There are definite cons to camping, including the fact that after a couple of shots every beggar on the opposing side knows where you are, and will probably select you as a priority target. And on games that have KillCam, like Modern Warfare, your position doesn't stay a secret for long.

tl;dr: camping isn't always cheap.

(People who play Streetfighter and just throw an endless stream of fireballs... now THAT p*sses me off).

There really isn't much camping in Halo because snipers don't have that many bullets and grenades solve most surprize attacks but yea there is camping in that game but not enough for people to get mad.