Horror Game Splashes Blood on the Wii Balance Board

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
Horror Game Splashes Blood on the Wii Balance Board

Daisy Fuentes Pilates will no longer be the most horrifying experience you can have while using the Wii Balance Board.

So far, the Wii Balance Board has mostly been used for checking one's body mass and skiing, but now Marvelous Entertainment wants to use it to scare your feet off. Announced for Japan in the latest issue of Famitsu magazine was Ikenie no Yoru, which translates to Night of the Sacrifice, a horror adventure game that features the use of the Wii Balance Board.

Night of the Sacrifice follows five college students that take a vacation to Tsukuyomi Canyon, an area where locals used to make human sacrifices to the gods. It sounds like a really great place to get some R&R.

Like most cheesy horror films, these college students get more than they bargained for and become involved with ghosts and a bunch of other scary freaks. The game's trailer shows the cel-shaded students exploring dirty and bloody environments with players using the Wii Remote as a flashlight. They'll communicate through text messaging while avoiding chainsaw-wielding creeps, scary girls that play the piano, and eyeless monstrosities.

Also shown in the trailer are two weapons, a gun and a pipe, so the students may gain the ability to fight back against these horrors. All that Marvelous revealed about the Balance Board is that it would be used in the game, but annoyingly didn't say exactly how.

I would speculate that it's used for walking, but you never know, Night of the Sacrifice could be a body-fat measuring game in disguise. Perhaps ghosts only go after people that don't exercise. Having to use a device like the Balance Board to move in a survival horror game sounds pretty horrific on its own anyway, so hopefully Marvelous has something more clever in mind.

Night of the Sacrifice will be released in Japan on March 24, 2011 and hasn't been announced for other regions yet.

Source: 1up [http://www.1up.com/news/wii-balance-board-compatible-horror-adventure]

Assassin Xaero

Jul 23, 2008
If it is for walking, I have a feeling it would maybe be cool, or at least tolerable, for five minute (if that), then get incredibly annoying.

solidstatemind

Digital Oracle
Nov 9, 2008
It would be tremendous if the game somehow used the data to impact the game, like the heavier you were, the slower you ran (and this is coming from a guy who's 6'5" and weighs 250)

KEM10

Oct 22, 2008
solidstatemind said:
It would be tremendous if the game somehow used the data to impact the game, like the heavier you were, the slower you ran (and this is coming from a guy who's 6'5" and weighs 250)
If it does do that, it would rely more on foot speed than weight. I kind of hope/dread that you walk with it and have to run in place to run away from the...what ever they are.

Oct 14, 2010
solidstatemind said:
Rule #1: Cardio

Mr.Pandah

Pandah Extremist
Jul 20, 2008
Silly. Very silly. How about we make a good Horror game first and THEN we decide to throw in some gimmick?

This doesn't look to impress at all and the only reason it will sell anything is just because people are curious if the Wii Balance Board actually brings anything to the table, and from my dim-witted mind, it doesn't appear to be much of anything.

JUMBO PALACE

Elite Member
Legacy
Jun 17, 2009
Country
USA
Doesn't look that good to me.

I feel like the characters are cell shaded only because they developers didn't want the player to have to stare at a shitty model the whole game, rather than some sort of artistic style. I mean, the rest of the game looks "realistic". For the Wii at least.

Fursnake

Jun 18, 2009
This will probably be as stupid of a game as it would be if it were a movie. It doesn't look scary at all.

Harlemura

Ace Defective
May 1, 2009
Maybe the board's for when the game goes "BOOGEDY BOOGEDY!", you have to keep your nerve because if it senses a shift in balance, your dude in the game falls over.
Or something.

Aptspire

Mar 13, 2008
maybe it will be used as a 'sanity balance' i.e.: stepping off makes your character's understanding of what is really happening worse(the more you step off, the worse it gets), while falling off causes you to go into an horrible unreality :)

MrMoustaffa

Oct 3, 2010
FreelanceButler said:
Maybe the board's for when the game goes "BOOGEDY BOOGEDY!", you have to keep your nerve because if it senses a shift in balance, your dude in the game falls over.
Or something.
That would actually be kind of neat. Like if you jumped when something jumped out at you, your character would fall over as well.

But after you got used to it it would get hellishly annoying

z3rostr1fe

Aug 14, 2009
Methinks this game will be painful...

Especially if the Wii Balance Board will be used as a scare-o-meter, by which if you stepped out of the board, you will be yanked into the darkness and devoured by who-knows-what....

I even hear the screaming right now...

PureChaos

Aug 16, 2008
looks like a decent horror game but the balance board? suppose it COULD work, maybe, if it's used well but keep thinking the controller would be better

slightly evil

Feb 18, 2010
this could be... good?
i'm a little too optimistic here, it looks genuinely quite good but the ballance board will probably get gimmiky and annoying

CManator

Nov 8, 2010
Maybe you'll have to sneak a lot and if you step too hard creatures notice you? seems like the most logical scenario, especially if your main tool is a flashlight.

I dunno though, i'm glad Nintendo is experimenting with its peripherals but I wonder how many gamers actually like being the guinea pig.

The Diabolical Biz

Jun 25, 2009
FreelanceButler said:
Or something.
Problem with that is that if it was annoying, I'd just put the balance board over to the side or something, where the monsters can't hurt it...

Erana

Feb 28, 2008
JUMBO PALACE said:
Doesn't look that good to me.

I feel like the characters are cell shaded only because they developers didn't want the player to have to stare at a shitty model the whole game, rather than some sort of artistic style. I mean, the rest of the game looks "realistic". For the Wii at least.
What are you talking about? Normal people are cell shaded. Dead people are not.
Or are you saying that your reality isn't cell shaded? :O