Horror Meets Shopping at the Echo Bazaar

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
swaki said:
this sounds so awesome, especially because im on a hobo budget this month (48 bucks) so i cant afford any new games this month, which will make next month just as hobo-y but with lots of awesome games to keep me from going hungry.

but as you may have suspected from that above text alone, I'm a very sad, antisocial and pathetic man, so i really hope the social part is limited.

alright im in it, must say im not a fan of having to wait for several minutes between each action, but the story seems interesting even if its flow does get broken up by the format.

but i have played for 10 or so minutes and i have already seduced a widower to let me sleep in her spare bedroom instead of having to pay for a motel room, insulted an older gentleman who was just sitting by him self trying to enjoy a drink and unlocked secrets about the way the society is working, so I'm already in love.
You don't have to wait between each action, you can use up all of the ones you currently have one right after the other. You simply have to wait for them to recharge (unless you spend Fate to get them instantly).

And for people railing against Twitter, it's not like you have to actually do anything with Twitter in order to play the game. You simply have to have an account, which is to say a user name and password. Other than using it to sign into the game, you can completely ignore it. (Yes, Alexis already said all of this, I'm just agreeing.)

And for the record (sorry, Alexis) I have yet to spend a single real-world cent on the game, and I'm having a fantastic time with it. It's still very, very satisfying and engaging even without paying for extra Fate.

blanksmyname

Aug 2, 2009
Susan Arendt said:
And for people railing against Twitter, it's not like you have to actually do anything with Twitter in order to play the game. You simply have to have an account, which is to say a user name and password. Other than using it to sign into the game, you can completely ignore it. (Yes, Alexis already said all of this, I'm just agreeing.)
I tried signing up for the sole purpose of playing this game, but Twitter said no and wouldn't let me. It had some bloody technical error so it couldn't create my account, but my suggested username and email address are now considered "already taken".

Twitter is poo.

crotalidian

and Now My Watch Begins
Sep 8, 2009
Gah! You may not need to USE twitter to play but You need twitter access which means I am banned at work, so until I get a smartphone which lets me play this I am out as I will not find time in my life outside of work between gaming and social activities.

Was really intruiged by this (especially having just watched Sherlock Holmes to re-ignite my love of Victorian England), oh well will hopefully get to it in the next month or 2

MmmFiber

Apr 19, 2009
The game sounds very appealing to me. I also like small inventive projects getting attention. But, I am conflicted at the use of a twitter account. I am morally against twitter. I don't like the trend I see in society of short-sighted instant gratification, and twitter seems to propagate this. People seem to be losing the ability of actual social interaction since these networking sites popped up. Instant mild Asperger's for everyone. The services aren't tools for just keeping in touch with friends and networking, they're a disease. You would think as someone gets older(aka grows up) they would gain knowledge, but I just see people becoming dumber and dumber. And society caters to these retards! When we tried to circumvent natural selection and survival of the fittest is when we doomed ourselves. One day soon the retards will run amuck in the streets. Pretty soon we won't even be able to tell the difference between normal people and the retards. Then the interbreeding will start. Next thing you know maybe your spouse has some latent form of retard that surfaces violently one night over dinner, requiring you to take your children and flee. You couldn't possibly have known this beforehand because the retards had tainted the gene pool. You thought you and your family were safe... well, think again.

Cpt_Oblivious

Not Dead Yet
Jan 7, 2009
I'm gonna go give this a try. It better be awesome Susan.

Ok, it's cool but how do I increase my skills in things other than Dangerous after I chose Watchmaker's Hill? I'm a little stuck on getting a house...

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
Cpt_Oblivious said:

Ok, it's cool but how do I increase my skills in things other than Dangerous after I chose Watchmaker's Hill? I'm a little stuck on getting a house...
Other skills are upgraded in other areas -- for Watchful, go to Ladybones Road, for example.

Ziren

Apr 14, 2009
Susan Arendt said:
Cpt_Oblivious said:

Other skills are upgraded in other areas -- for Watchful, go to Ladybones Road, for example.
You can't change the location before you get your first house.

While I find the theme to be interesting, the execution is... less so. It takes forever to get even a little amount of money. They obviously want people to play PVP but then put a anyone who chose the "Heart's Desire" ambition at a heavy disadvantage, since the stat that is most important to that questline has absolutly no use in PVP.

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
Ziren said:
Susan Arendt said:
Cpt_Oblivious said:

You can't change the location before you get your first house.

While I find the theme to be interesting, the execution is... less so. It takes forever to get even a little amount of money. They obviously want people to play PVP but then put a anyone who chose the "Heart's Desire" ambition at a heavy disadvantage, since the stat that is most important to that questline has absolutly no use in PVP.
You actually end up bumping up all of your stats over the course of the game. Grinding just one won't really get you very far at all. And you can ignore Knife & Candle completely if you want.

Tattaglia

Aug 12, 2008
God, I am loving this game. But I've just started and can someone fill me in on the purpose of Goods bought from the Bazaar? I assume they're for selling in other places but I would prefer not to blow all my money on jars and jars of souls, only to find them worthless. But then again, I would have jars and jars of people's souls. Badass.

sky14kemea

Deus Ex-Mod
Jun 26, 2008
This explains why half the people I follow keep tweeting about this game xD

I may have a go later then >_> But I've never been any good at these sorta games. :x

misterarendt

Jan 14, 2010
Hello folks, Paul here.

Tattaglia: selling goods at the bazaar gets you in-game currency (Echoes & pennies). Completing missions gives you goods. So you can sell goods at the Bazaar to earn Echoes, which in turn you can use to buy more expensive items that bump up your stats. However, some missions require goods to complete. Of course, if you simply wish to collect people's souls, you can. They may prove useful if you end up working closely with the Brass Embassy. Although we can't offer any advice on how to live with yourself. Those poor bewildered spirits, moaning in their little bottles...

Tattaglia

Aug 12, 2008
misterarendt said:
Hello folks, Paul here.

Tattaglia: selling goods at the bazaar gets you in-game currency (Echoes & pennies). Completing missions gives you goods. So you can sell goods at the Bazaar to earn Echoes, which in turn you can use to buy more expensive items that bump up your stats. However, some missions require goods to complete. Of course, if you simply wish to collect people's souls, you can. They may prove useful if you end up working closely with the Brass Embassy. Although we can't offer any advice on how to live with yourself. Those poor bewildered spirits, moaning in their little bottles...
Thanks for the help, kind sir. And may I say, this game is a work of art. The artwork is fantastic and the style is both funny and hauntingly unique, something rare in most games - browser based and otherwise - today. I might just fork out a couple of crisp New Zealand dollars for some Fate.

Keep it up, delicious friend!

Jonci

Sep 15, 2009
Dispite the use of Twitter, it is quite a step above the Facebook games like Mafia Wars. It's very interesting, though I'm annoyed that I can't get my coworker to join so I can have someone to do duo opportunity cards with and "socialize" in my house.

Cpt_Oblivious

Not Dead Yet
Jan 7, 2009
Susan Arendt said:
Cpt_Oblivious said:

Thanks. Now I need another 25 Rats on Strings to buy a house though.

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
Hey, folks...anyone wanting to play Knife & Candle - or just play some chess - post your Twitter name here so we know to look for you!

Jonci

Sep 15, 2009
Susan Arendt said:
Hey, folks...anyone wanting to play Knife & Candle - or just play some chess - post your Twitter name here so we know to look for you!
Twitter: jaguillard
I haven't joined Knife and Candle, but I'm up for social opportunities.

the_lollipop_dragon

Nov 8, 2009
Calobi said:
Hiphophippo said:
So I have to have a twitter? Pity. count me out.
Aurora219 said:
Yeah, I don't want Twitter. Meh.
We're like long lost brothers or something. Why does it seem like so many things are demanding that I use Twitter recently?
Yay more people who don't want twitter. I'm not alone.

I'm joining twitter JUST so I can play this game.
If anyone needs any friends, and I'd like some game-mates on there I'm lollipopdragon. Because the character limited wouldn't let me be thelollipopdragon. Friggin thing. :mad: