Horror Meets Shopping at the Echo Bazaar

Ziren

Apr 14, 2009
Susan Arendt said:
You actually end up bumping up all of your stats over the course of the game. Grinding just one won't really get you very far at all. And you can ignore Knife & Candle completely if you want.
But I really want to play Knife and Candle. Of course I didn't expect that I would just be using one stat, but everyone having the dangerous ambition (whatever it is) will still have an advantage over me. I wouldn't mind as much if there was any compensation for it in the rest of the game (which might be there and I just haven't found out about now, but it's definitely not spelled out anywhere).Not that it will matter too much for at least one more week, since there seems to nobody playing who doesn't have every at least at 20, which is still a far way for me.

Oh, and I'm Ceruton in-game, by the way.

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
Ziren said:
Susan Arendt said:
You actually end up bumping up all of your stats over the course of the game. Grinding just one won't really get you very far at all. And you can ignore Knife & Candle completely if you want.
But I really want to play Knife and Candle. Of course I didn't expect that I would just be using one stat, but everyone having the dangerous ambition (whatever it is) will still have an advantage over me. I wouldn't mind as much if there was any compensation for it in the rest of the game (which might be there and I just haven't found out about now, but it's definitely not spelled out anywhere).Not that it will matter too much for at least one more week, since there seems to nobody playing who doesn't have every at least at 20, which is still a far way for me.

Oh, and I'm Ceruton in-game, by the way.
You'll enjoy the grinding, though, because the things you do to up your stats are so...unusual. And there a bunch of different ways to do it, too, which helps keeps it feeling fresh. I hop from stat to stat (buff Dangerous for this 10 actions, switch to Watchful for the next 10, etc.) and am having a blast. Ok, so I'm losing pretty consistently at Knife and Candle, but that won't last forever...

Ziren

Apr 14, 2009
Ever since I went insane (and got better) the dream opportunities show no result text any more. Does this happen to anybody else?

Edit: So this seems to work now, it was probably just a server issue. However I'm now grinding for my rooftop shack. Of the options given, it seemed to be superior to the other options since you can easily get six rats per adventure so you should get easily 150 per day, even if you log on only twice a day. Everything else presented to me was either to expensive for me or required items that I haven't found anywhere yet.

the_lollipop_dragon

Nov 8, 2009
I'm having very much fun with this game. And mad props to the developers for not making the players choose a gender. This game is entertaining all over. So much that I will tolerate the use of twitter and try to convert my friends to the game.
Well done sirs.

Jonci

Sep 15, 2009
I should not have looked in the well. Nightmare stats got to five and only my second day on this.

Ziren

Apr 14, 2009
Jonci said:
I should not have looked in the well. Nightmare stats got to five and only my second day on this.
At least you get an uncommon item out of it...
I tried to decipher runes today and got nightmare +4 and nothing else because I was unlucky, putting me to an eight. It's not really that bad turning crazy (no permanent stat damage, lost items or anything) it just needs a lot of adventures to return to being sane without raising other stats much.

Jan 23, 2009
Thanks for covering this Susan and Lovecraftian! Gonna check this out right away. I wonder do they have a slender man in Fallen London!?

Hey if anyone else has signed up Add me please!

Username: Sneaklemming

obviously...

Tiny116

The Cheerful Pessimist
May 6, 2009
I wanna try it out....but I don't want to become a twitter whore as well as a facebook one *hangs head*

Jan 23, 2009
So I've gotten into it a bit... but can you even add people? or is it not social in that way... how is it social?

Wait... how do I play chess =)

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
Sneaklemming said:
So I've gotten into it a bit... but can you even add people? or is it not social in that way... how is it social?

Wait... how do I play chess =)
Well, if you use your Twitter feed to follow people, then it makes them easier to keep track of, but you don't have to. To play chess, go to your lodgings. Once you're there, you'll find a bunch of options for activities you can invite people to...chess, a private supper, etc.

Ziren

Apr 14, 2009
Oh, low-level work becomes unavailable when you raise your stats too high? Bugger. Does anybody know where I can get rats on a string other than in Watchmaker's Hill and the Bazaar?

Jan 23, 2009
the_lollipop_dragon said:
How do I unlock more areas? CAN I unlock more areas?
Yeh get a place to live, and you can go from there. BTW I invited you to dinner YOU'D BETTER ACCEPT OR ELSE, the cat gets it.

Ziren

Apr 14, 2009
To everyone who wants my help getting rid of nightmares: I'm currently at nightmares 5 myself, so I can't afford to help you. Sorry.

I'd be happy about supper invitations, though. I need a lot more of those tokens of admiration.

the_lollipop_dragon

Nov 8, 2009
Sneaklemming said:
the_lollipop_dragon said:
How do I unlock more areas? CAN I unlock more areas?
Yeh get a place to live, and you can go from there. BTW I invited you to dinner YOU'D BETTER ACCEPT OR ELSE, the cat gets it.
Well I would have but you invited me to listen to your nightmares and it cancelled out the other invitation. Next time, WAIT. :p

Allan Foe

Dec 20, 2007
I'm not a big fan of twitter myself, but this game seduced me. Echo Bazaar is highly amusing, definitely worth playing for story snippets alone.
However, it could use an alchemy system (or something along those lines) so that we may put all those stockpiles of various odds and ends to good use, instead of just using them as alternate currency.

That said, allow me to declare that Allan_Foe [http://twitter.com/Allan_Foe] will gladly join you in an endeavour of your choice, but note he she they are not available for sparring as of this writing (still Rank 0).
How can someone with Dangerous=15 win a single match at Knife & Candle? Gah!

Ziren

Apr 14, 2009
Allan Foe said:
I'm not a big fan of twitter myself, but this game seduced me. Echo Bazaar is highly amusing, definitely worth playing for story snippets alone.
However, it could use an alchemy system (or something along those lines) so that we may put all those stockpiles of various odds and ends to good use, instead of just using them as alternate currency.

That said, allow me to declare that Allan_Foe [http://twitter.com/Allan_Foe] will gladly join you in an endeavour of your choice, but note he she they are not available for sparring as of this writing (still Rank 0).
How can someone with Dangerous=15 win a single match at Knife & Candle? Gah!

I'm currently at dangerous 21, watchful 24 and shadowy 14 and all targets in Knife and Candle are still way out of my league... So in short, you probably can't.