Horror Photography: Life's Moments, One Trauma at a Time

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Horror Photography: Life's Moments, One Trauma at a Time

Joshua Hoffine is a photographer with a taste for the dark side: He does "horror photography," and he does it very well.

An escaped psycho killer about to butcher a babysitter and her young charge. Lady Bathory bathing in a stream of blood gushing from the throat of a freshly butchered victim. A giant snake about to swallow a screaming baby whole. All of that and more are just part of a day's work for Hoffine, a photographer who specializes in the creepy and bizarre.

In reality, capturing those most horrific of life's moments on film is only a small part of his job. As he shows on his blog [http://joshuahoffine.wordpress.com/], a significant portion of his time (and that of his many volunteers) is spent setting the stage: Building props or entire sets, applying complex makeup, lugging equipment deep into forests and more. But the end result, I think you'll agree, is worth it.

It's also interesting to note that for a guy who puts so much effort into taking photos of people eating their own arms or having their faces carved off, Hoffine himself sounds remarkably well-adjusted. For the photo When a Stranger Calls [http://joshuahoffine.wordpress.com/2009/10/01/making-babysitter/]. There is something very vulnerable about the teenage babysitter - no longer a child, but not yet an adult - attempting to shoulder grown-up responsibilities. Ultimately though, this photograph focuses on just one thing - what if something awful was waiting for you right around the corner?"

Kiutu

Sep 27, 2008
SirBryghtside said:
That's a freaky picture...

I applaud Joshua Hoffine.

And I don't even want to search for

An escaped psycho killer about to butcher a babysitter and her young charge. Lady Bathory bathing in a stream of blood gushing from the throat of a freshly butchered victim. A giant snake about to swallow a screaming baby whole.
The blog link has em all and alot of details of the set up. Was cool, though the snake one looked cheesy, the actual snake anyways.

Radeonx

Apr 26, 2009
Well, the man in the picture certainly looks like he's enjoying himself.
Maybe these pictures aren't as bad as they want you to believe.

Joshimodo

Sep 13, 2008
Nice lighting setup. I love shots taken with snoots. Most of my work focusses on the kind of lighting they provide.

Some interesting ideas on his blog, too.

EDIT: Just looked at his older stuff, I've actually seen this guy before. Good work.

JRCB

Jan 11, 2009
Wow, that's a really good picture. Still creepy as hell, though.

Ryuk2

Sep 27, 2009
I like those pictures. One picture worth more than some of those horror movies.

QuirkyTambourine

Jul 26, 2009
....buhhhhhhhh some of those are pretty messed up. Awesome photos though

When I clicked the thread, I thought it would be someone asking for the most horrible photos they can post (thank god). I only bring this up because my grandfather is a crime scene photographer and nothing says Thanksgiving dinner like him getting out his box of horrifying pictures to show me why I shouldn't drive fast.

[Cold-Shoulder]

Jun 5, 2009
These pictures are amazingly done!
Must have taken him and his co-workers a long time to set everything up.
Most of them seem like they are from a Tim Burton movie.

ae86gamer

Mar 10, 2009
The pictures are stunning.

The one with the snake and the baby reminds me of The Nightmare Before Christmas for some reason. :]