Hothead Gamer Flips Out, Burns Warhammer Fantasy Army

JonB

Don't Take Crap from Life
Sep 16, 2012
Hothead Gamer Flips Out, Burns Warhammer Fantasy Army

Goodbye, hundreds of dollars of precious plastic!

Welp, perhaps it was inevitable.

Many gamers get angry about changes to games they love, but YouTuber Death, Holy Death has taken that rage to an extreme in protest of the cancellation of significantly different rules from its predecessor - some of which are admittedly a bit silly. [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/tag/view/warhammer%20fantasy?os=warhammer+fantasy] This man is, perhaps understandably, furious about the changes. To that end he has burned his Warhammer army to a raucous death metal track, a collection that, eyeballing it, was likely worth upwards of $900 USD at retail price. Not counting the hours spent assembling and painting those miniatures which were assembled and painted.

In his pre-pyre rant, Death, Holy Death admits that he's not taking the changes well, unleashing a litany of angry insults against game publisher Games Workshop [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/tag/view/games%20workshop?os=games+workshop] for creating the game instead of a new edition of Warhammer Fantasy Battle. He also takes the time to briefly outline his issues with the new rules. I don't particularly recommend the rant - it's profanity laden, offensive, and not safe for work.

Either way, if you want to watch the horror unfold, here's the video bookmarked where the burning starts:

Curious about the rules that could inspire such fury? We've highlighted a few of the silliest new rules we could find here. [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/video-games/features/galleryoftheday/14266-New-Warhammer-Fantasy-Most-Absurd-Ridiculous-Crazy-Rules]

Bat Vader

Mar 11, 2009
That seems like quite an overreaction. He pry could have gotten good money for all of it.

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
This may sound harsh, but he comes across as a no-life loser. Maybe this will be a healthy change for him.

When I see stuff like this it makes me wonder if I'm a geek at all.

Thyunda

May 4, 2009
Adam Jensen said:
This may sound harsh, but he comes across as a no-life loser. Maybe this will be a healthy change for him.

When I see stuff like this it makes me wonder if I'm a geek at all.
While I'm not gonna try to justify burning nine hundred dollars worth of miniatures I do have to say, I sympathise with the anger. The new rules are basically Games Workshop saying "Yep it's a silly game for no-lifers and best enjoyed when drunk" to people who have spend nine hundred dollars on miniatures. You don't drop that kinda money on a frat-house board game, you do it for serious wargaming, and it's down to the player whether they wanna play it straight or play it silly. Having the official rules noted down as "some silly shit for silly folk" is just obnoxious.

Ironman126

Dark DM Overlord
Apr 7, 2010
He's not wrong about GW. We've seen it for years. And I'm ashamed to admit that I not only still play Warhammer 40,000, but I also buy GW products.

But burning the models? Not on my list of 10 best choices. Sell the models, screw GW out of $900, and use the money to buy something that isn't made by a company with no regard for its customers.

Imperioratorex Caprae

Henchgoat Emperor
May 15, 2010
That was just stupid. All that money and time definitely flushed down the drain, and you know it doesn't hurt Games Workshop, it only hurts himself as he realizes he coulda just ebay'd the figures and made some decent cash. Or y'know, still played the former version like the new version never existed. Cuz the old version didn't vanish into time-space limbo because a newer version came into existence.
Stupid, pointless and childish. Dumbass.

gigastar

Insert one-liner here.
Sep 13, 2010
Yes, he could have sold his collection for a tidy sum, but by sacrificng them to R'bllor burning them instead his message is going to spread much further than it ever would have before.

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
He is lost. He is a follower of Khorne, in his rage. Rage that is understandable, as Tzentech, in his wiles, changes Warhammer Fantasy to Warhammer: Age of Sigmar. A plague from Nurgle, I say. Though I admit, looking at the new models gives me a sense of beauty that only Slaanesh could provide.

Infernai

Apr 14, 2009
Hawki said:
He is lost. He is a follower of Khorne, in his rage. Rage that is understandable, as Tzentech, in his wiles, changes Warhammer Fantasy to Warhammer: Age of Sigmar. A plague from Nurgle, I say. Though I admit, looking at the new models gives me a sense of beauty that only Slaanesh could provide.
These changes are so self destructive that I can't help but wonder if it's the work of Malal.

LordLundar

Apr 6, 2004
gigastar said:
Yes, he could have sold his collection for a tidy sum, but by sacrificng them to R'bllor burning them instead his message is going to spread much further than it ever would have before.
The problem with that is the message is "I'm an overemotional idiot with more money than brains."

Tiamat666

Level 80 Legendary Postlord
Dec 4, 2007
I don't get it. Couldn't you just play with the old rules... or your own?

gigastar

Insert one-liner here.
Sep 13, 2010
LordLundar said:
gigastar said:
The problem with that is the message is "I'm an overemotional idiot with more money than brains."
Easiest way to make a compelling argument is to load it with emotion.

However it is held back by excessive profanity.

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
A butthurt WoW fanboy would never delete their character in protest of a balance change.

This guy has balls... and a severe case of stupidity.

Muspelheim

Apr 7, 2011
Frankly, I sympathise. It's an expensive luxury, but if the money isn't a question, then why not. Burn it and move on.

Better still would've to kept going with the old game rules, and told GW to go fuck themselves, but I can understand wanting to amputate that part of your life, drastic as it is.

If nothing else, those models got the funeral pyre that heroes deserve.

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
So...rather than find OH I dunno, any of the thousands of players that don't want to change and are more than happy to play with the old rules, he burned probably close to $1000 worth of models in a desperate and pitiful attempt to send a message to a company that already has his money...

Dragonlayer

Aka Corporal Yakob
Dec 5, 2013
Sweet Sigmar, look at all that money gone down the drain! That literally makes me wince and I winced when I bought a single Death Korps squad back in the day (thirty two pounds for ten men!? Heresy!)!

While I think destroying even a single extremely overpriced model in a fit of righteous fury is *possibly* taking things far too seriously, I can understand where the anger is coming from: judging by what I've read, Games Workshop is taking the piss by going "Chaos won and destroyed everything in Fantasy, everything you had and did with your old armies is completely pointless, now shut up and buy our new Not-Space Marines in our stupid celestial realm war supplement."

Zontar

Mad Max 2019
Feb 18, 2013
JonB said:
Hawki said:
only Slaanesh could provide.
...if only they didn't cut Slaanesh from the game.

How, how do they even... what? I know Warhammer Fantesy and 40k are explicitly in different universes ever since they stopped messing around with that "it's an isolated planet from 40k" joke lore but how does one get rid of Slaanesh?

Sniper Team 4

Apr 28, 2010
I'll never understand protests like this. I have tons of collections, from Star Wars, to Kotobukiya statues, to ponies. I would never, in my wildest dreams, think of destroying any of them, even if the company did something that made me swear to never buy from them again. All the money, all the effort, all the memories, just gone? No.