Hothead Gamer Flips Out, Burns Warhammer Fantasy Army

Kevlar Eater

Sep 27, 2009
Song used in video: Leviathan - Vesture Dipped in the Blood of Morning

Not exactly the choice of song I would have used were I in his shoes, but it sets the mood nicely enough. Still, $900 worth of miniatures. With money like that, had he sold them, he could have bought himself the parts to make a decent PC.

captcha: oopsie-daisy. No, captcha, this is clearly not an oopsie-daisy. It's a messed up, waste of money. Dumb captcha.

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
Well I admire this fellas commitment, bit of a shame GW turned it into a game of biggest army wins, which I in turn hope isn't a harbinger of 40k's future.

Haven't played it in years, but if 40k collapses who will I flog my carefully painted Tau to on Ebay to fund even more Tau to carefully paint?

Zontar said:
but how does one get rid of Slaanesh?
Everyone stopped having sex for a year and Slaanesh starved from the lack of #ahem# excitement.

Hagi

Apr 10, 2011
Kinda sad considering that:

1. You're pretty much sinking to GWs level here. Just because they burn their own stuff to the ground doesn't mean you should.

2. You're playing right into their hands. They've directly said that the rules for existing factions are intentionally made stupid so you won't play with them and instead buy their new factions.

Zontar

Mad Max 2019
Feb 18, 2013
fix-the-spade said:
Zontar said:
but how does one get rid of Slaanesh?
Everyone stopped having sex for a year and Slaanesh starved from the lack of #ahem# excitement.
But Slaanesh was of all emotion and passion, not just sex. Hell, the Chaos gods where irremovable in their existence because of the fact that they exist from the power of humans and eldar existing. They are concepts of the human condition given physical form. You can defeat their armies and contain the gods, but they can not exist so long as human and eldar continue to as well.

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
I'm all for being angry at Games Workshop and I admit that I don't know how their games work that well but...couldn't he just keep playing the game with the old rules? I mean it's not exactly like a software patch where it's integrated into the game.

RaikuFA

Jun 12, 2009
This seems like something Chris Chan would do.

The sheer level of stupidity in some people.

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
gigastar said:
Yes, he could have sold his collection for a tidy sum, but by sacrificng them to R'bllor burning them instead his message is going to spread much further than it ever would have before.
I agree, and I'd imagine that's what he's trying to accomplish here. It's one thing to sell off a bunch of collectables from a company because you're angry with their new rules...stuff like that happens every time. Burning said collectables in effigy as a monument to your rage towards the new rules actually sends a message...one that I wouldn't be surprised if it resonated with other hard-core WH fans. I doubt this kind of protest to the new rules will catch on, but it'd likely stoke the flames of anger within the rest of the audience.

Essentially it'd be the same as burning your Amiibo collection in protest to how artificially rare they are. Someone watching the video might get pissed at you for burning one of the little buggers that's been impossible for them to find...and then angry at Nintendo again for making so few of them in the first place as to make watching someone burn one so infuriating.

It's all about grabbing attention and pointing that attention to the issue...which I'd say burning a $900 collection certainly accomplishes.

Aug 31, 2012
JonB said:
Hawki said:
only Slaanesh could provide.
...if only they didn't cut Slaanesh from the game.
Urge to kill rising...RISING.....

On the one hand ouch, $900 worth of minis that could have been sold on ebay or used to play a previous edition (3rd ed until death! DEEEEEEEAAAATH!!!!!!), and the painting time, oh that painting time.

On the other, I suppose if he feels that strongly about it, then it does display his anger better than just flogging them. You lot are familiar with the concept of a boy/girlfriend bonfire? I guess he was just that into Warhams and that pissed off.

And a good old fashioned burning gets the peasants riled up to march on the castle with pitchforks and burning brands to stake the bloodsucking undead husk through the heart. And by bloodsucking undead husk I mean GW.

Blazing Hero

Feb 20, 2015
To be honest I think burning those figures was about the only way the guy could make himself give up the hobby. By wasting that much money he is intentionally making a clear break from the game. At least that is the reasoning I hope he had...

47_Ronin

Jul 30, 2012
He probably did make more money with the video then the collection was worth. But a thought came to me. 900$ collection and 3d printers cost about half of that....

Redryhno

Jul 25, 2011
erttheking said:
I'm all for being angry at Games Workshop and I admit that I don't know how their games work that well but...couldn't he just keep playing the game with the old rules? I mean it's not exactly like a software patch where it's integrated into the game.
Yeah, he could, but alot of people in the community live around a shop that has routine tournaments and they use the money from that to buy more minis, not to mention some shops are not allowed to sell anything that GW doesn't allow, and that includes previous editions of games and sometimes even older casts of models.

And then there's the painting and resellers that have sprung up. Some studios are going to lose a big chunk of their income because the new game is literally just buy the most expensive models and you win. And half the fun was people making themed armies that don't always make sense and having conversions done, which I don't think are legal anymore.

Not to mention this sorta sends some kind of message that "and I'm just gonna go back to playing 9th (I think that's the last Fantasy edition)" doesn't get across.

Zykon TheLich said:
JonB said:
Hawki said:
Urge to kill rising...RISING.....

On the one hand ouch, $900 worth of minis that could have been sold on ebay or used to play a previous edition (3rd ed until death! DEEEEEEEAAAATH!!!!!!), and the painting time, oh that painting time.

On the other, I suppose if he feels that strongly about it, then it does display his anger better than just flogging them. And a good old fashioned burning gets the peasants riled up to march on the castle with pitchforks and burning brands to stake the bloodsucking undead husk through the heart. And by bloodsucking undead husk I mean GW.
WHAT DID NAGASH EVER DO TO YOU, HE'S A MISUNDERSTOOD GENIUS I TELL YOU

Wiggum Esquilax

Apr 22, 2015
Blazing Hero said:
To be honest I think burning those figures was about the only way the guy could make himself give up the hobby. By wasting that much money he is intentionally making a clear break from the game. At least that is the reasoning I hope he had...
Pretty much exactly this. He's divorced himself from GW, permanently. In that same process, he's invited everyone else to do the same.

Neverhoodian

Apr 2, 2008
Dang, that was one lengthy group of disclaimers at the beginning of the video. Are these those "trigger warnings" the kids keep going on about nowadays?

I don't play the games, so he may as well have been speaking Greek half the time. I can understand his frustration with GW's business practices, though. Even I can tell they've made some really shitty decisions over the years. If he wants to destroy his belongings to make a point, so be it. That said, he could have made a pretty penny selling them, but I suppose that would have been indirectly helping GW in his eyes.

JonB said:
Hawki said:

What? Why?! As a fan of the lore this leaves me stupified. What, did GW get angry letters from parents for the sexual content or something?

Well, perhaps now is the time for Malal's rightful ascension...

JustMakingAComment

Jun 25, 2014
He could have given these toys to poor/sick children who would have appreciated them.

The only message in his act is that a single Warhammer player is a selfish, thoughtless jerk.