House of the Dead 1 Remake

Drathnoxis

Became a mass murderer for your sake
Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada
Why would anybody want that? Part of what made House of the Dead so good was how awful the voice acting was. They are never going to recapture that.

I'd rather they just rerelease House of the Dead 1. They did 2 and 3 as a set, but 1 wasn't included.

Reactions: Kae

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
Why would anybody want that? Part of what made House of the Dead so good was how awful the voice acting was. They are never going to recapture that.
Um, did you see the trailer? The voice acting is still terrible (and arguably rightly so).

Anyway, I like the new look of this. That said, I'd rather the other HotD games be released as well.

Reactions: BrawlMan

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I'd rather they just rerelease House of the Dead 1. They did 2 and 3 as a set, but 1 wasn't included.
Sega lost the original source code for H1 in the early 2000s. That's;s why it was never included in the Wii. From the trailer, they seem to have decent-bad voice acting. The original in voice acting in 1 was bad, but it was typical average bad. 2 on the other hand is legendary in its badness. 3, 4 ,& Overkill have good to great voice. With 3 & 4 getting some cool and bad ass lines from the heroes, and the Goldman video logs/flashbacks. 5/Scarlet Dawn went back to the "bad" voice acting, but feels very meh.

Last edited:

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Anyway, I like the new look of this. That said, I'd rather the other HotD games be released as well.
Agreed. Since 3 & 4 will be removed from PSN (PS3) in a couple of months. It's not hard to port any of these two games on Switch/PS4/PC.

Drathnoxis

Became a mass murderer for your sake
Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada
Um, did you see the trailer? The voice acting is still terrible (and arguably rightly so).

I thought it seemed fine in the trailer.
Sega lost the original source code for H1 in the early 2000s. That;s why it was never included in the Wii. From the trailer, they seem to have decent-bad voice acting. The original in voice acting in 1 was bad, but it was typical average bad. 2 on the other hand is legendary in its badness. 3, 4 ,& Overkill have good to great voice. With 3 & 4 getting some cool and bad ass lines from the heroes, and the Goldman video logs/flashbacks. 5/Scarlet Dawn went back to the "bad" voice acting, but feels very meh.
Probably the reason I never actually beat 3 and just replay 2 whenever I put the disc in.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Probably the reason I never actually beat 3 and just replay 2 whenever I put the disc in.
I recommend 3. It's still a great HOTHD game. My personal favorites are 2 & 4. Do note that 4 and 5 are prequels to 3. The third game is the final game in the timeline.

Last edited:

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
I recommend 3. It's still a great HOTHD game. My personal favorites are 2 & 4. Due note that 4 and 5 are prequels to 3. The third game is the final game in the timeline.
It's kind of crazy how asynchronous the HotD release order is with its in-universe timeline.

I mean, for shits and giggles, I went and checked. Release order goes HotD 1>2>Zombie Revenge>3>4>Overkill>Scarlet Dawn, whereas here's the in-universe timeline:

Overkill (1991)
House of the Dead (1998)
House of the Dead 2 (2000)
House of the Dead 4 (2003)
Scarlet Dawn (2006)
House of the Dead 3 (2019)

Metal Gear, eat your heart out.

(Disclaimer: Yes, I'm well aware that HotD has never really given a damn about story or continuity, but screw it, some of us can't turn our brains off Sega!)

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
(Disclaimer: Yes, I'm well aware that HotD has never really given a damn about story or continuity, but screw it, some of us can't turn our brains off Sega!)
Street Fighter suffered the same thing, though I barely had a problem with the then-new characters in III. IV & V are prequels to the third SF entry, and Capcom has finally dug themselves out of that hole. Hopefully with VI, they can go beyond constantly referencing/nostalgia baiting II and the main focus goes back to the characters in III (Not counting Ryu, Ken, Chun-Li, and Akuma).

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
Ah, nostalgia trip. I've got some fond memories of going guns akimbo in HotD 1 and 4 in the arcades.

Though honestly I'd love to see a remake of Crisis Zone. Complete with reciprocating light-gun Steyr TMP.

Piscian

Elite Member
Apr 28, 2020
Country
United States
I was little concerned as I wasn't aware of any guns for for switch but apparently there are so this will be the first official gun game? Kind of excited.

Kae

That which exists in the absence of space.
Legacy
Nov 27, 2009
Country
The Dreamlands
The voice acting still seems bad, but let's face it shitty voice acting will never be as good or special as Goldman on House of the Dead 2 was, that was just on another level, like why would anyone pronounce and enunciate "To protect the life cycle" like that? I have no idea, my only assumption is that they must have hired an Alien that normally communicates telepathically and had no idea how verbal communication worked and was trying desperately to figure it out during the audio recordings for the game.

But anyways no character more appropriately named than Goldman because he's pure gold.

Reactions: BrawlMan and Hawki

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
This should have been made during the Wii-U era, so I could have still used my Wii-Mote with my Gun attachment, Don't know how you can replicate this game with the joy-cons.

I was supposed to get one, but kept forgetting and lost interests. If I heard the rumors correctly, the game is getting its own gun peripherals.

Piscian

Elite Member
Apr 28, 2020
Country
United States
I was supposed to get one, but kept forgetting and lost interests. If I heard the rumors correctly, the game is getting its own gun peripherals.
I googled around and there are some third party guns apparently, but I agree it'd be real weird if they don't sell guns and some special boxset for idiots like me that eat this stuff up.

Reactions: Kae

Kae

That which exists in the absence of space.
Legacy
Nov 27, 2009
Country
The Dreamlands
This should have been made during the Wii-U era, so I could have still used my Wii-Mote with my Gun attachment, Don't know how you can replicate this game with the joy-cons.

Maybe they'll do it with cardboard!