How about you let me PLAY my game?

AzureRaven

Jul 21, 2011
Arina Love said:
Cry moar. There is nothing wrong with MGS series long cutscenes and dialogues. Story comes first then gameplay. Don't like it? Don't play MGS.
Gotta say, this. That's what MGS is all about really. It's not something inherently wrong with the series, it's just a different style.

Shawn MacDonald said:
If everybody started an argument like you, then we would get nowhere. "You don't like it? "Don't play MGS." I can play whatever the hell I want and then also ***** about it in a thread that encourages it.
Then you have no one to blame but yourself if you're upset with the game. It's not starting an argument, it's trying to end one.

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
Kahunaburger said:
LookingGlass said:
constant tutorials.
Elder Scrolls games.

Seriously, Bethesada, the intros were cool the first time around. But sometime around the 5th reroll, the start getting old.
There is no intro dungeon for Morrowind. You can get out of the first area in >5 minutes.

AdorkableSoul

Feb 27, 2012
Shoggoth2588 said:
I hate how in some of the modern fighting games (well, beat-em-ups), the cut-scenes will show the main character kicking a bunch of ass. I think Dark Void had a couple of these. Instead of watching a video of the character kicking ass, why not let ME kick that ass?! Some of the Halo games did this too and it annoyed the crap out of me.
The Devil May Cry series is probably the worst for this. I was strongly tempted to call my mother so she could sternly tell the game to stop hogging the fun and share like a nice boy.

NubiJuan

Aug 1, 2010
LookingGlass said:
Having only played MGS2-4, I honestly don't mind the long cutscenes and the codec conversations. It's what I paid when for I bought a metal gear solid game. MGS2 was one of my first games and maybe because of it I started to think of cutscenes and codecs as rewards as I got for playing the game. I always wanted to see the story unfold, see what would happen next after playing the game for a while, put the controller down, sit back and watch something happen. I never really noticed how the long the cutscenes would actually end up being in all the MGS games until MGS4, but then again I didn't mind because thats exactly what I want out of my metal gear solid game.

I can skip all the scenes when I play the games again and then just focus on enjoying the gameplay.

Kevlar Eater

Sep 27, 2009
The narrator in Bastion wouldn't shut up. As funny as he was the first hour of the game, he gets sickening quickly after that, and starts sounding like this in my head:

Lunar Templar

Sep 20, 2009
Arina Love said:
Cry moar. There is nothing wrong with MGS series long cutscenes and dialogues. Story comes first then gameplay. Don't like it? Don't play MGS.
quoted for truth.

seirusly, its how MGS works, whining now is kinda pointless

mikey7339

Jun 15, 2011
LookingGlass said:
So last night I started playing Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater (from the HD collection) for the first time. I "played" for 1h50m (according to the save file) before calling it quits for the night.

Problem? Well, in that time, I spent no more than 25 minutes in actual gameplay. So basically, 75% of the first 1h50m of the "game", involves watching cutscenes and codec conversations (including the entire first 30 minutes or so).
I could not stand this about MGS4 or whichever one came out for the PS3. I quit after a day and even trying to give it a shot and see if the cutscenes would die down. They didn't they just would not stop.

hooksashands

Apr 11, 2010
To be fair, the MGS series has always had lengthy intros and long cutscenes breaking up the action. Is having to watch and not press buttons like a neurotic twitcher really that bad? Set down the controller. Go make a sandwich. Relax.

Girl With One Eye

HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA
Jun 2, 2010
I rented Yakuza 3 and tried it out last night....big mistake. They wouldn't shut up, I ended up watching tv for a bit, then I turned the game back on and they're STILL talking. And all the beginning fights are all forced tutorials like do this combo X amount of times. GAH! Why do some games have to have cut scenes you can't skip? It's not as if not having the option to skip it means I'm going to watch it.

damselgaming

Feb 3, 2009
This is my favourite game of all time for a plethora of reasons, but the cutscenes are absolutely one one them. It's just different taste in what you want out of a game.

D Moness

Left the building
Sep 16, 2010
Eternal sonata is one of those games. I really enjoyed it but when a cutscene started it almost always takes a long time to end. my cordless controller shut down several times during the game due t the fact it took so long before i pushed a button again.

Twilight_guy

Sight, Sound, and Mind
Nov 24, 2008
Portal. No seriously, Portal is like 90% tutorial. It's just the best tutorial ever so nobody ever notices. Games need to have better intros/tutorials, we all know this but we need to learn to clearly state it better.

Jitters Caffeine

Sep 10, 2011
Metal Gear Solid games are rather infamous for long cutscenes, so you can't really complain about that because you couldn't have not known. Not only that, but the games are EXTREMELY story driven and they choose to present that story through cutscenes, which considering how convoluted the stories in those games can be, it's probably for the best.

The Wykydtron

"Emotions are very important!"
Sep 23, 2010
hooksashands said:
To be fair, the MGS series has always had lengthy intros and long cutscenes breaking up the action. Is having to watch and not press buttons like a neurotic twitcher really that bad? Set down the controller. Go make a sandwich. Relax.
Y'know I think Kojima would be quite unhappy if you walked out and made a sandwich in the middle of his long, exposition rich and epic story...

And "breaking up the action" is fine as long as there's action to be broken up in the first place. MGS2 i'm looking at you.

I think MGS3 had the cutscene to gameplay ratio and overall pacing down though, Kojima apparently went back down the hour long cutscenes forever route for MGS4.

Thinking about it having ages and ages of cutscenes works for good Visual Novel type games. See Persona 4 for example, it's the only game i'll ever call perfect and the entire first 2/3 hours are conversation paths with save points dotted about.

Yet it never wastes my fucking time and keeps things interesting during that time period, which is where most people find the most fault to be in the MGS games. Too much shit we already know is repeated and explained ad nauseam.

So I believe that for most people it's not "I want to play my game!" It's more "Why won't something interesting happen?!"

Arina Love

GOT MOE?
Apr 8, 2010
TheKasp said:
Arina Love said:
Gaming is an interactive medium. There is nothing interactive in cutscenes. You are basically defending a badly acted movie.
Except MGS is interactive BUT where story comes first and everything else later. Everyone getting in to MGS should be well aware about cutscenes and long conversions. MGS have very complex story so if you just going in to MGS for gameplay you doing it wrong.

Ewyx

Dec 3, 2008
Kevlar Eater said:
The narrator in Bastion wouldn't shut up. As funny as he was the first hour of the game, he gets sickening quickly after that, and starts sounding like this in my head:
Heresy! I would love to see that guy narrate more games. I absolutely loved it.

Grand Theft Auto IV is like that for me. There are tons of non-gameplay related things to do, which could be used to make the game more awesome... And since I suffer from a weird game related OCD-like thing to try and do everything the game throws at me, it ended up as 'niko belic taxi service'.

(No, I didn't hunt the pigeons, I'm not insane)