How about you let me PLAY my game?

ElPatron

Jul 18, 2011
I loved MGS cutscenes. Come at me, bros!

TheKasp said:
Gaming is an interactive medium. There is nothing interactive in cutscenes. You are basically defending a badly acted movie.
MGS is the wildcard. You will either love it, or hate it.

Elements from gaming and films. Combine them and make something not quite as good as either.

Also, play Peace Walker.
A lot less story and at least cutscenes have QTEs that give you the interactivity you asked for.

Lucane

Mar 24, 2008
TheKasp said:
Arina Love said:
Cry moar. There is nothing wrong with MGS series long cutscenes and dialogues. Story comes first then gameplay. Don't like it? Don't play MGS.
Gaming is an interactive medium. There is nothing interactive in cutscenes. You are basically defending a badly acted movie.
In Monopoly you stop "playing" to read cards or when it's other people's turn to roll the dice the more who are playing the longer you're not really doing anything except watching. The same can be said of Super Mario Party video games as well.

When did having a story(or at least the longer ones...) become a negative for video games?

Veldt Falsetto

Dec 26, 2009
Girl With One Eye said:
I rented Yakuza 3 and tried it out last night....big mistake. They wouldn't shut up, I ended up watching tv for a bit, then I turned the game back on and they're STILL talking. And all the beginning fights are all forced tutorials like do this combo X amount of times. GAH! Why do some games have to have cut scenes you can't skip? It's not as if not having the option to skip it means I'm going to watch it.
Yes, this, I've played every MGS game and I was shocked at playing Yakuza 3, I have to watch a japanese language film with english subtitles before I even touch gameplay...it's one of the most ridiculous things ever

MetalMagpie

Jun 13, 2011
Final Fantasy XIII

I've been watching my boyfriend slogging his way through this game and - whilst it's very pretty and the combat looks interesting - it sure does like its cinematics.

I've started saying "Oh no! You encountered a wild cutscene!" whenever one starts. Because sometimes they ambush the player ten steps away from the last one and for no readily apparent reason.

DanielBrown

Dangerzone!
Dec 3, 2010
LookingGlass said:
Problem? Well, in that time, I spent no more than 25 minutes in actual gameplay. So basically, 75% of the first 1h50m of the "game", involves watching cutscenes and codec conversations (including the entire first 30 minutes or so). It would have been even worse if I didn't skip the silly movie stories para-medic tries to tell you after every single save attempt.
Unfortunetly it doesn't get much better later on. The entire game is like that...
I started over after over two hours because I decided to do a no kill run. When I skipped all the cutscenes I had fifteen minutes playtime when I was at the same point as my old save. X.X

Guess I'll add MGS2 and MGS4 to the list, for the same reasons. Peace Walker doesn't have as many cutscenes, but it's not exactly much fun to play. I expected a game like the others and got some campain-mission-based-build-a-fortress kind of thing.

Hiroshi Mishima

Sep 25, 2008
Taunta said:
It's funny that people mentioned Skyward Sword cause I was gonna mention that as my good example. The Zelda games are pretty bad for making you run across Hyrule Field (or in the most egregious example, the ocean) for forever if you want to get anywhere. I liked Skyward Sword because the Sky was a lot smaller than the Ocean in Wind Waker, and there wasn't much reason to fly around anyways. And the ground world had actual puzzle content, instead of a big field.
Pretty much this. I'm surprised people feel Skyward Sword is among the big offenders.

I can't remember the last game I played that was actually lots of tutorials and scenes and such with little gameplay. I guess that's cause I know how to dodge the game-bullets as to what I'll like and not like.

For what it's worth, I thought FF12 was a bit heavy-handed in terms of slapping away players during the first part of the game, but it got better (pity the game didn't). Now, Saint's Row 3 seemed to do this a bit. Or rather, it made tutorials into missions, reducing the actual amount of in-game stuff to do.

Sven_Untgaarde

Jun 14, 2010
Mr.K. said:
MGS 4, it's just absurd, I was starting to wonder if I got the movie edition.
I understand that you'll be getting a lot of these, but I completely agree!

I only own an Xbox 360 and have only played the PS3 once, and it was playing MGS4. It was also at a much older cousins house (he was 26, i was 16). He, however, didn't care that i was playing it at a party (on the only TV in the house), but I was, and as long as no one else wanted to do someone on it, I was ok.

So, before I get into gameplay, this is the first time I've ever handed Playstation hardware... as in, I've never touched a Playstation 1 or 2 controller before, because I never thought that needed more games than I had for Xbox. I probably could've, but whatever.

I was starting on chapter... 2? Maybe... Snake was attacking some compound kind of place, and this chapter ended with these weird robotic mechs with living legs that made creepy cow sounds attacking a town (and I had to escape onto a helicopter). It's also the scene when Raiden comes and gets his ass kicked by one of these (after he stabs a few of them).

From the compound to that, it took 3 hours. I went to the compound, entered a building, fought some invisible *****, was on a moving truck fighting zombies (or something), and then the city, in about 3 hours. This all happened while dying maybe 50 times.

Not too long, huh? Well, i forgot to mention that I skipped all cutscenes as well. The party was too loud to listen to anything, so I just went "SKIP!" and continued.

At the end, my cousin was amazed how far I went in such a short time. "It took me 12 hours to complete chapter 1, and you beat most of chapter 2 in an hour! You're the man!" he said.

Certainly not the best impression I got from one of the "Best of" games for the PS3.

dobahci

Jan 25, 2012
LookingGlass said:
That's a terrible beginning to a "game", as far as I'm concerned. That's why the original MGS is still my favourite of the series... it's just a much tighter, more coherent package than the rest of the series' games.
The original MGS is the only one I ever played and it seemed anything but "tight" and "coherent" to me. If it's the tightest and most coherent of the series, then that unfortunately is saying something pretty fucking bad about the series as a whole.

It's not just that there are so many cutscenes, but that all of the cutscenes and dialogue are artificially lengthened by having characters repeat everything they're told!

I remember one of the early conversations Snake has right at the beginning of the game with the DARPA chief, when he finds him in a cell. It goes something like this.

Guy: This facility isn't just for the storage of nuclear warheads.
Snake: Not just for the storage of nuclear warheads...
Guy: No.
Snake: It's not?
Snake: What else is it used for?
Guy: it's also used for something else.
Snake: What else?
Guy: It's also being used for the production of the new prototype.
Snake: New prototype?
Guy: Yes.
Snake: New prototype of what?
Guy: Prototype of.. the new metal gear.
Snake: Metal gear?
Guy: Metal gear.
Snake: Metal gear?!??
Guy: METAL GEAR!!

Honestly. It's like they never heard of editing before.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Kevlar Eater said:
The narrator in Bastion wouldn't shut up. As funny as he was the first hour of the game, he gets sickening quickly after that, and starts sounding like this in my head:

Now I want a game with Randy Newman narrating.

The novelty would wear down fast, but still.

LookingGlass

Jul 6, 2011
dobahci said:
I remember one of the early conversations Snake has right at the beginning of the game with the DARPA chief, when he finds him in a cell. It goes something like this.

Guy: This facility isn't just for the storage of nuclear warheads.
Snake: Not just for the storage of nuclear warheads...
Snake: It's not?
Snake: What else is it used for?
Guy: it's also used for something else.
Snake: What else?
Guy: It's also being used for the production of the new prototype.
Snake: New prototype?
Guy: Yes.
Snake: New prototype of what?
Guy: Prototype of.. the new metal gear.
Snake: Metal gear?
Guy: Metal gear.
Snake: Metal gear?!??
Guy: METAL GEAR!!

Honestly. It's like they never heard of editing before.
Oh god they all have things like that. Snake has a maddening habit of saying "[new keyword]?" after every new topic gets introduced.

That's the thing. I'm not complaining about the inclusion of cutscenes and codec conversations in general here. It's the fact that whenever they're 20 mins long, they only have 10 mins worth of stuff to say, thus making the whole experience a bit of a drag.

Thankfully Snake Eater seems to have shaken off the desire to repeat itself after that opening section, and now the balance is pretty good.

AgentCooper

Dec 16, 2010
TheKasp said:
Arina Love said:
Except MGS is interactive BUT where story comes first and everything else later. Everyone getting in to MGS should be well aware about cutscenes and long conversions. MGS have very complex story so if you just going in to MGS for gameplay you doing it wrong.
You have no idea how often people pointed me towards this "game" when I asked for good stealth games. And never mentioned this "verbal diarrhea".

But the complex story doesn't excuse poor narrative. And a narrative through cutscenes solely is bad narrative in a GAME. I'd like a game to weave narrative into the gameplay, not seperating them.

Lucane said:
When did having a story(or at least the longer ones...) become a negative for video games?
Wow, you missed by a mile. Story IS not cutscenes only. Game developers should finally start to develop the narrative in games, not imitating movie directors. And this is basically MGS in a nutshell.
I doubt you typed that with a straight face.

Considering most of the cutscenes are seamless and go right into game play after the scene.

I suggest you look up an lets play of any MGS game and pay attention to the game play and subtle nods to the story.

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
LookingGlass said:
I hear metal gear is pretty bad for this kind of thing

anyway thign is I like cutscnes...I think they can work really well,they can add charachter (literally..like mass effect or dragon age where you see your charachter "emote")

or red dead redemption...I liked watchign cutscenes because what was going on was funny/entertaining/I wanted to watch

you start losing my attention when you go on...and on....and on....AND ON..and when you start doing stuff I really should jsut be able to do in-game

Girl With One Eye said:
I rented Yakuza 3 and tried it out last night....big mistake. They wouldn't shut up, I ended up watching tv for a bit, then I turned the game back on and they're STILL talking. And all the beginning fights are all forced tutorials like do this combo X amount of times. GAH! Why do some games have to have cut scenes you can't skip? It's not as if not having the option to skip it means I'm going to watch it.
oh god THIS....
'
I havnt touched that game since I first got it...first i had to spend time geting up to date ont he plots from the previous two...ok

THEN cutscenes...cutscnes..cutscnes....ok

THEN I walk around a bit and have to have BIG LONG WINDED conversation with this chick (in text no less) because aparently the cutscene wasnt enough....

THEN when I do get to play Im walking around town...with a kid..when Im ready to kill things

Yakuza is like it didnt want to be a agme...it wasnted to be amovie

anyway I played the first assasins creed...and I wish more games to their aproach to cutscenes..it happens "in-game" but is guided (especially your first real assasination..you really feel a part of the crowd..a part of whats going on rather than observing)

OPisafaggot

Mar 2, 2012
"METAL GEAR IS LEIK HAZ NO GAMEPLAY!!1!!1!one!1!"

Let me call the waambulance. I prefer an awesome storyline over the lack of content crap we get nowadays. Y'all ***** about how long the cutscenes are but forget that the fucking awesome gameplay and motherfuckin'epic boss fights makes up for it(Not that there is anything wrong with the cutscenes)If you don't want the story you can just fucking skip it, it gives you the freaking option, no one is holding you at gun point and forcing you to watch it.

All the previous MGS games were story driven rather than gameplay. Everyone knows that, right from the first MGS game to the latest one. That's what hooks people to the series is the fucking awesome storyline. And saying that a story driven game has too much story, or too many cutscenes is moronic. Especially with a complex story line like MGS you simply CANNOT do that without adding a lot of dialog and video.

It's not anyone's fault that you have the attention span of a gerbil and can't tell the difference between games that have a fucking motherfuckin' awesome storyline and some other shit storyless games. Frankly if you want to play games with less "cutscenes" you should have never walked into MGS to begin with. The only one to blame is yourself.

MGS games have such long cutscenes is because its a game that needed cutscenes like that. Without them you will not get what the fuck the story is on about. And if you disagree then you pretty much don?t know what the fuck your talking about and should close your browser window at once, and kill yourself because you clearly have an IQ that barely adds up to the number of hours required to beat this game.

WeAreStevo

Sep 22, 2011
Heavy. Fucking. Rain.

If I wanted to play a toothbrushing simulator I'd just go brush my own damn teeth...

I turned this game off after an hour of "gameplay" in which I got up, got ready, talked to my wife and played with my kid.

All things I can do irl and have more satisfaction about it.

Plus, Sony jammed the horrible six-axis bullshit into there as well, so I'm not only brushing my imaginary characters teeth, I look like a douche while doing it.

DJ_DEnM

My brother answers too!
Dec 22, 2010
Pokemon.

Just until you get your first pokeball.

The addition of the running shoes helped, though.

Elvis Starburst

Unprofessional Rant Artist
Legacy
Aug 9, 2011
Jitters Caffeine said:
Metal Gear Solid games are rather infamous for long cutscenes, so you can't really complain about that because you couldn't have not known. Not only that, but the games are EXTREMELY story driven and they choose to present that story through cutscenes, which considering how convoluted the stories in those games can be, it's probably for the best.
^ Ninja'd in every way possible o.o

thedoclc

Jun 24, 2008
Everyone's beat the MGS4 horse into bloody paste, but I will add that my friend did not believe me when I told him that the game essentially did not want you to play it for fear of spoiling how awesome it (thinks) it is. I proposed we settle it empirically: we would time how long it took him from pressing start to actually reaching the first level. For those who don't know, there is a very brief controllable section of the game towards the end of the introductory cinematic when you can dodge some enemies, and then it goes right back into exposition dumping for another fifteen+ minutes. My other friend and I went off to play L4D in the meantime.

47 minutes. After 47 minutes, during which you controlled Snake for maybe four minutes, you were allowed to play a level. By the time MGS4 finally let you enjoy content, we were at the finale of Blood Harvest (I think).

Piss off, Kojima. I'm still annoyed.

Hazy

Jun 29, 2008
Planescape: Torment. Do not be fooled, this is not a videogame. This is a book in videogame's clothing.