How alike are you and your siblings?

Zontar

Mad Max 2019
Feb 18, 2013
DasDestroyer said:
All of my parents' children are completely identical.
In other words, I'm an only child.
That isn't a given though, since I know of a pair of twins who, apart from the fact that one is taller then the other and the shorter one is more of an asshole, they are both quite alike. Though ironically the one who isn't as much of an asshole is an open fascist, which is odd since he's a Sudentan German (or, as his brother likes to joke, exactly what you'd expect).

neoontime

I forgot what this was before...
Jul 10, 2009
It's funny, all my five brothers and sister's have fit into different clicks in life but we still seem to have much of the same emotional problems.
We've all had issues of depression and anti-social behavior so in a way to make a bad thing good, we've become close friends as well because of it. We still annoy each other but we still love to hang out. Even though it's because we all haven't made much friends.

FancyNick

Mar 4, 2013
Polar opposites but at the same time we are incredibly similar. Hard to explain I guess. We have similar interests but in wildly different parts of said interest. Different emotional levels and how we deal with things but we both seem to have a pretty good moral code. He's blond, blue eyes, glasses, and a bit scrawny and I am brown hair, hazel eyes, and just big. He's a lot like my mom and I am a lot like my dad. So yeah, a bit of everywhere really. We get along pretty well though.

Sandjube

Feb 11, 2011
We love the same things, like games and such, and we're pretty much equally skilled in them all which is fantastic (it would suck if one of us was waaaay better at table tennis, for instance), but we have different tastes in music and stuff. All in all a good amount alike, but not in any bad ways really. He's also tall and skinny and extroverted, whereas I am short, solid and intro, mostly.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
My brother and I are both creative types. And have a rather offbeat sense of humour.

And that's where the similarities end.

Oh, we also wear glasses.

Kolby Jack

Come at me scrublord, I'm ripped
Apr 29, 2011
I have an older brother (about 3 years older than me) and a younger sister (about 1.5 years younger). Growing up was your standard sibling affair: we fought, we argued, we had good times, etc. I would say I have more in common with by brother for a few reasons: we're both male and grew up liking more masculine things, we shared a room for many years, and I tended to imitate him in a number of ways because I looked up to him for the most part. We both love video games, nerdy stuff, and all that, and we both joined the military (though I joined it first).

My sister and I got along very well when we were really young, but around the time I hit 10 years old, according to my Dad we "just went to war on each other." Personally I wouldn't go that far, but we really could not have been any more different at that age. Lots of fighting, lots of hurtful words, and it only got worse once my brother went to college.

But once adulthood and college brought some separation between all of us, we left basically all of the petty bullshit behind. We all get along really well, and when we see each other we can just talk like we've never been apart. I like it. Though adulthood has also increased how different we are from each other. My brother was always a bit more athletic than me but now he's climbing mountains for fun. My sister runs marathons, and they both frequently do outdoorsy stuff that frankly I'm not too fond of. So I wouldn't say we have too much in common (at least superficially) anymore, but at least we like each other. :)

Lieju

Jan 4, 2009
Well, I only have a half-sister, and we were raised by different people, so it might not be surprising we don't have much in common. I had pretty much in common with our dad, though, probably because both of us had Aspergers and similar interests.

My mother always felt, especially as a kid, that she didn't fit in her family and suspected she was adopted. I can see why she'd think so, she is a huge nerd, and has always been, while her siblings are... not.

Tassit

May 16, 2013
I'm the oldest of three, we're all seperated by two years with my age starting at 28.
My brother and sister have more in common than I do with either of them, the only like we share is of video games. Now what games that entails is a whole different story.

For example:
They both have Masters degree's, I have an Associates.
I live in Japan, they both live with our Parents.
I'm employed, they are not and have little to no desire to be.
They live a charmed life, wake up and game until exhaustion and repeat, I (sadly) do not.

The list goes on!

Colour Scientist

Troll the Respawn, Jeremy!
Jul 15, 2009
I'm an only child so I don't have any siblings to compare myself to.

I was quite close in age to one of my cousins growing up though and we spent a lot of time together.
We're complete opposites.
She's quite masculine and enjoys cars and football whereas I'm more feminine and have completely different interests.

putowtin

I'd like to purchase an alcohol!
Jul 7, 2010
I couldn't be more different from my sister if I tried... and for that I'm grateful.

No offence if your reading sis, but you know I'm right!

Blow_Pop

Supreme Evil Overlord
Jan 21, 2009
Just addressing the initial topic....

My brother and I are 3 years apart in age.

He cooks and bakes. Willingly.
I *CAN* cook and bake but typically don't cause I don't like to.(mostly prep time and clean up. don't like)

He does woodworking.
I can kind of do it but not to the extent he does.

He draws and colours(computer without a tablet or anything but a mouse) and actually has talents.
I can draw stick figures...and people reading books when I screw up a letter when writing in sharpie on a box.

(this is from 2012 and old. Some of which isn't necessarily true anymore and off my deviant art)

actually...all of these are old drawings but I still pretty much draw like that. The only new one is the books one. That was 2 weekends ago.

He is a furry
I am most definitely not

He plays select computer games and occasionally my ps3
I play Wii, PS3, 360, DSi, PSP, and PC games

He is an introvert with ADHD, ODD, OCD, asthma, and Autism
I am an introvert with ADD, slight claustrophobia, asthma, anxiety, and panic attacks

He has recently acquired an interest in working on cars
I've been working on cars since I was a year old (we have photos)

that's me, my dad, and my grandpa working on my grandpa's truck

He doesn't like to be touched
I am kept sane by being touched. At the moment touch starved and slightly unbalanced

He doesn't like death or change and can't deal with them
I don't like either but can deal easier with them

He has a dog and a turtle
I have....the spiders that keep coming into my room?

He won't drink soda
I will drink soda

He has no body modifications
I have a tattoo and 12 piercings

He identifies with his assigned gender at birth and has a heterosexual sexuality
I don't identify with my assigned gender and have an alternative sexuality

He only willingly) goes out to the bar on Friday nights to play pool with my dad (which he's really good at..both of them)
I run errands, take him to doctor appointments, do the stuff I need to do, see my friends, and occasionally go to the bar on friday nights for free alcohol and occasionally to play pool (and i'm terrible at it)

He doesn't drink any kind of beer or hard liquor when he consumes alcohol
I drink select beers and thrive on hard liquor

He has never had a job
I have had more jobs than I care to count and my current is being his caregiver

He has problems doing basic things
I have no problems (usually)

He enjoys taking things apart and stripping wires and cables
I don't mind it but it hurts my hand to do for the extended periods he does

He only reads fantasy and at that only certain ones
I read just about anything I can get my hands on

He drinks coffee
I drink tea

He likes gardening
I hate gardening

He has had cavities
I had braces

He doesn't often like to watch movies
I watch a lot of movies and musicals

He doesn't like coming out of his room
I don't like feeling like I am trapped or confined in my room

He has a bedroom in the house proper
I have a bedroom that use to be a patio and got converted into a bonus room

He has never lived anywhere else
I have lived numerous places from ages 1-3 we moved to a few different apartments and my grandma's house before settling here and briefly lived with my best friend and an ex boyfriend

Similarities:
We both use to wear glasses
We are both stubborn as mules
We both dislike a good portion of our extended family
We both loathe crowds

And I really think that's about as far as the similarities between the two of us go. Everything else is slightly similar or opposite

DanielBrown

Dangerzone!
Dec 3, 2010
My sister is one and a half year older than me. She's fairly short, overweight and have blonde hair and blue eyes. I'm very tall, quite muscular and have dark brown/dark red hair and green eyes. Our personalities and hobbies are also complete opposites. She enjoys reading and writing. I'm into music(metal and punk) and lately working out. I love parties and alcohol, she has always detested it without ever trying. She loves anime, I can't stand it... The list could go on forever.
The only thing we have in common is that we're both very stubborn and like to play videogames, though we don't tend to enjoy the same games.

Can't say for sure why siblings can become so different. In my case she has some sort of high function autism. It's the reason why we've never been able to get along and possibly why we branched out in different directions.

Having siblings ~18 months older/younger seems quite common. :eek:

Cazza

Jul 13, 2010
Nearly a 2 year gap and we're very similar. People ask if you're twins. Physically and personality wise but in the last few years after I left school we've drifted off personality wise.

Victim of Progress

Jul 11, 2011
Despite the 7 year age gap, my and my brother are incredibly similar. We have the same interests, hobbies and personalities. He also shares my hatred of travelling. But aren't similar just mentally. Me, and my brother also have the same voice. So people who know both of us get kind of confused when talking on the phone to either of is.

Auninteligentname

Jun 12, 2011
Well, there are a two years gap between me and my brother, and we look nothing alike. However, me and my brother have many of the same interests and think rather much alike. We've suprised my mother a few times, by giving the same answer to the same question, without having talked beforehand about it.

When it comes to my sister..., we don't talk about my sister.

sanquin

Jun 8, 2011
My and my younger brother are very much alike in quite a few ways.

-We both love anime, although he loves it more than me.
-We're both gamers, and are both drawn to RPG's and mmorpg's. Though he's also drawn to RTS and me more to FPS.
-We both like metal music. Though I'm more of a metalhead, while he sticks to a more 'normal looking' lifestyle/appearance.
-We're both kind of social outcasts.
-And just the general way we do things and appear to others I think.

We do differ in some ways though.

-I drive a motorcycle. He thinks riding on one scary, partially because he has a slight balance problem.
-I LARP and love to camp out in a tent. He hates camping in a tent.
-I smoke, he doesn't. Though more because he can't because of asthma.
-I'm more intelligent.
-He's stronger than me.
-I can more easily get by on my own, he isn't entirely ready for living on his own yet. (He's 20.)
-I have more of my mother's physical appearance, he has more of my father's. (I look more feminine, he looks more masculine.)
-I love working with animals, he doesn't have anything in particular that he loves for work.
-I have long hair, he has short hair.

Bertylicious

Apr 10, 2012
My sister and I are very similar in terms of how we think and also share certain behavioural traits, we're both lateral thinkers, we're both utterly self-centred (and possess enough self-awareness to not be total dickheads) and we're both slobs although we both lead very different lives and hold different philosophies.

She's really into conservation and nature whereas I'd like to see the whole earth transformed into a man made desert with all the food grown in vats and the atmosphere maintained by machines. She is an extreemly talented musician, I play vidya games. These things are details, things that we choose. When it comes down to the materials we are constructed from we are cut from the same cloth.

BoredAussieGamer

Aug 7, 2011
If my bigger brother and I were having a conversation, and you couldn't see us, good luck figuring out which is which by voice alone.

We're also bulky blokes (he's not as muscular as me right now because he hasn't been to the gym in a while though), we're opinionated, and we're both studying mathematics. If I took my glasses off and grew my hair out, we'd look pretty alike aswell (assuming he shaved).

However he has 20-20 vision, the lucky sod. And I have asthma which he conveniently doesn't. He's a few inches taller than me, but I'm bigger so to speak.

L. Declis

Apr 19, 2012
I have an 8 year age gap with my brother (I'm 23, he's 15); I didn't really get to know him, as I was leaving the house as he was starting to develop a distinctive personality and mind beyond that of a child.

We both like anime/manga, although he loves the action kind and I'm more of romance manga. He's very much into it as well, openly declaring it, whereas I simply read my manga once a month online and never mention it to anyone.

We are both in video games; I love the role-playing games, strategy and stealth games. He likes it shooty and bloody and up-close. That said, we both play anything by Nintendo together and I remember a few years of playing Super Smash Bros with him nearly every day.

He had a brief stint with Warhammer 40,000, in which I showered him with a Tyranid and Necron army at first chance and he has since lost interest; I have been going 8 years and strong. That said, he is a terrible sportsman and has told me he doesn't care about how the other player feels, which is something I find quite disappointing.

He isn't an academic at all (he apparently has a few learning disabilities), whereas I am very much so. He's going to go into the army, whereas I'm considering a professorship in China. He loves Japan as I prefer China, which is interesting. He has a group of solid friends and tends to spend a lot of time with them and no interest in girls or boys, whereas by his age I had several girlfriends, but (and still don't) have many solid friends, other than three or four people I used to be close to and still visit when I have the time (not often).

He loves to go outside and bike; I prefer to go out and walk with friends, or otherwise stay inside. When we play video games, he jumps about, I sit still. He shouts, I'm quiet. He is messy, I am clean. I like to fluff about with my appearance, he tends to not care as much.