How can Handheld gaming come back from the brink?

Night_S1ash

Feb 6, 2011
With hundreds of cheap and fun games available on people's phones, handhelds seem to be dying off. I want to know what The Escapist thinks will bring back these kind of systems? I always thought higher power with more triple A games would be what would bring them back, with an obvious online connectivity option.
Now it's your turn, make me angry that Nintendo and Sony don't hire you for their handheld division!

Khinjarsi

Mar 14, 2011
I don't have any incredible ideas, but having gone into Gamestation the other day, there needs to be less of the same kinds of game (hundreds of mystery games, pet sims, etc) and instead these need to be better quality. Similarly, I think releasing too many handheld hardware too close to each other doesn't do many people any favours. And I take up issue with the assumption that everyone has the newest form of device, and therefore can do everything.

To explain that last point, I have a DS Lite still and I sure as frell can't afford a new 3DS. I was given Pokemon White but it feels that I miss out on a lot of the game just because I can't get online with it without having to fiddle around with my house's internet settings, which are bad at the best of times.

Just my 2p.

Owyn_Merrilin

May 22, 2010
Step 1: Take off the shelf smart phone hardware (The actual "phone" part is optional; the only radio hardware that is absolutely necessary for this is WiFi and maybe Bluetooth. Think iPod Touch.)
Step 2: Combine it with a custom case that has physical buttons (D-pad, ABXY, LR, etc.)
Step 3: Use Android for the operating system
Step 4: Make sure you've got first and third party support for games involving buttons (Sony and Nintendo both have the pull to do this).
Step 5: ???
Step 6: Profit!

What I'm basically saying here is, make a handheld that's the best of both worlds. An Android handset /and/ a dedicated handheld? What's not to love. Cell phone hardware is powerful enough these days for it to work, and since we're talking about gaming companies here, they've got the pull to rope in real developers, too. Not to mention in-house devs.

I think Sony tried this to an extent with the Xperia Play, but I'm talking about doing this for your flagship handheld, with all the effort behind it that that implies. The Xperia Play is nice, but it's a phone first, handheld second. This would be a dedicated handheld based around a standard platform.

TheSteeleStrap

May 7, 2008
Owyn_Merrilin said:
Step 1: Take off the shelf smart phone hardware (The actual "phone" part is optional; the only radio hardware that is absolutely necessary for this is WiFi and maybe Bluetooth. Think iPod Touch.)
Step 2: Combine it with a custom case that has physical buttons (D-pad, ABXY, LR, etc.)
Step 3: Use Android for the operating system
Step 4: Make sure you've got first and third party support for games involving buttons (Sony and Nintendo both have the pull to do this).
Step 5: ???
Step 6: Profit!

What I'm basically saying here is, make a handheld that's the best of both worlds. An Android handset /and/ a dedicated handheld? What's not to love. Cell phone hardware is powerful enough these days for it to work, and since we're talking about gaming companies here, they've got the pull to rope in real developers, too. Not to mention in-house devs.

I think Sony tried this to an extent with the Xperia Play, but I'm talking about doing this for your flagship handheld, with all the effort behind it that that implies. The Xperia Play is nice, but it's a phone first, handheld second. This would be a dedicated handheld based around a standard platform.
An Android handheld gaming device is an interesting idea. There are cameras that have Android OS now so it could certainly be done.

Nintendo: I'm not sold on 3D. I still think it's a stupid idea and you don't have to rely on it too much.

Sony: I know how proud of yourself you are over the Vita. It's a nice piece of hardware. I almost hate to say this, but you're going to have to bring down the price of your baby if you want anyone to look at it. If the retail establishment I work at is any indication, its sales are horrible.

Night_S1ash

Feb 6, 2011
Capitano Segnaposto said:
Nothing is wrong with it? Handheld gaming is stronger now than it has ever been.

I am confused by the thought that it has been going downhill.

It's been going downhill for a while now, ever since phones became much easier to use. Unless I've been misinformed. Can you show me where you got your references?

The_Echo

Mar 18, 2009
The smartphone market is hurting handheld gaming? Nah, nah. I don't think you get it. All those one-dollar games are priced as such because they are worth one dollar.

You're not going to get an experience like Kingdom Hearts 3D or Uncharted: Golden Abyss on a smartphone.

As far as I'm concerned, handheld gaming and mobile gaming are two different markets. The only thorn in handheld gaming's side is the small library for both the 3DS and the Vita.

Night_S1ash

Feb 6, 2011
EcoEclipse said:
The smartphone market is hurting handheld gaming? Nah, nah. I don't think you get it. All those one-dollar games are priced as such because they are worth one dollar.

You're not going to get an experience like Kingdom Hearts 3D or Uncharted: Golden Abyss on a smartphone.

As far as I'm concerned, handheld gaming and mobile gaming are two different markets. The only thorn in handheld gaming's side is the small library for both the 3DS and the Vita.
While they are different markets, I can't help but feel the days of giving a kid a GBA to play on are over. Someone wont buy their kid a 3DS to play + games, if the kid is perfectly happy to play games on an Ipad. Because they've never experienced anything different they aren't disappointed.

Evil Smurf

Admin of Catoholics Anonymous
Nov 11, 2011
I love my DSi: Pokemon, kingdom hearts, prof Layton, FF, Zelda, Plants v Zombies all live in it. What are you talking about bro?

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
I have no idea what you're talking about. Handheld gaming seems to be doing just fine as far as I know.

lunavixen

Jan 2, 2012
Quality of games is important, most of the handheld consoles have limited releases that aren't more of the same of what we've been seeing lately. A solid game library that has constant and decent releases is what keeps a handheld going. Also, having games that don't just appeal to a niche but to a wide audience of multiple age groups.

Night_S1ash

Feb 6, 2011
To everyone commenting about how Handheld gaming is doing fine, my source is this article: http://www.phonearena.com/news/Nintendo-claims-the-iPhone-killed-the-handheld-game-console_id29533
Not super sure on the accuracy but that's what gave me the information for this thread.

Misterian

Elite Member
Oct 3, 2009
Country
United States
you know how in some sci-fi stories there are these virtual reality headsets that allow you to transfer your subconscious into a virtual world?

I think the key to saving handheld gaming would be to put more research into inventing one of those.

Roxor

Nov 4, 2010
Handheld consoles might be on the way out, but only because their functionality is now incorporated into more general-purpose devices such as tablets and smartphones. Handheld gaming, on the other hand, is stronger than it's ever been. Just look at how many hundreds of games are available on Google Play, and I expect there's at least as many on the iOS counterpart.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Stop charging 40 bucks for something that can be comparably priced for 99 cents.

Seriously, this is part of what's hurting the market. Have handhelds offer a richer experience rather than trying to create something that can be done the same by smaller companies for cheaper.

Violator[xL]

Nov 14, 2007
Embrace and support the flash cards everyone is using by offering a good and not too expensive download.