How come there's no Sports Forum?

LiftYourSkinnyFists

Aug 15, 2009
C. Cain said:
It has occurred to me that the Escapist doesn't have a sub-forum dedicated to sports. So I was wondering how this could be; It's usually a topic that garners a great deal of attention and easily lends itself to all kinds of discussions. Especially if you consider the Escapist's diverse user base.

Is it because gamers have no demand for anything sport related? I'm almost inclined to believe so, seeing how there are barely any threads about sport at all. Or is it simply because we lack a proper venue to facilitate these kinds of threads?

What do you think, my fellow Escapists?
The only sports the escapist play are sim-sport video games.

C. Cain

Oct 3, 2011
Wenseph said:
If we wanted to talk about sports we would, but there's barely any threads and I really don't think it's because there's no sports forum. I don't even want one.
Good for you that there isn't one, then.

As for your opinion, fair enough. Just wondering whether we got the cause and effect backward in this case, that's all. You may swap 'sports' for any other topic (like say anime or MLP) for all I care.

You don't think we got it wrong, fine. I can appreciate that.

I just chose sports because it usually warrants its own sub-forum. Oh, and because I wanted to know whether gamers really don't care about sports. So far it certainly does seem so. I guess gamers who like sports are an aberration, after all.

Loonyyy

Jul 10, 2009
Because it's a gaming forum. You come to a gaming site usually to talk about games and things related to them. Other things are fine, but the aim isn't to dedicate any resources to it.
Also, in what way do you expect to group the entire spectrum of sports into a gaming perspective? If you managed to do it, then you'd be facing competition from acutal sports forums.

subjectseven

Aug 19, 2011
Why is there no forum dedicated to sports? I thought the answer this would be completely obvious and logical. It's cause we're all epic nerds.

Xanadu84

Apr 9, 2008
If a bunch of people agree, they you will probably get it. And if enough people agree, they will be happy to get it. Of course there's probably a slight trend of gamers being less likely to be into sports (Not a big effect, but its there) or maybe just less likely to have a discussion about sports, but if you think there's enough of an interest, ask.

C. Cain

Oct 3, 2011
subjectseven said:
Why is there no forum dedicated to sports? I thought the answer this would be completely obvious and logical. It's cause we're all epic nerds.
True that. But you wouldn't believe how nerdy people can get about sports. ;)

Xanadu84 said:
If a bunch of people agree, they you will probably get it. And if enough people agree, they will be happy to get it. Of course there's probably a slight trend of gamers being less likely to be into sports (Not a big effect, but its there) or maybe just less likely to have a discussion about sports, but if you think there's enough of an interest, ask.
The point of this thread was partly to figure out whether there is enough interest. The answer so far is a definite and resounding no.

I didn't even petition for such a section. People merely jump to this conclusion.

Xanadu84

Apr 9, 2008
C. Cain said:
Xanadu84 said:
The point of this thread was partly to figure out whether there is enough interest. The answer so far is a definite and resounding no.

I didn't even petition for such a section. People merely jump to this conclusion.
Well, if you weren't trying to, you should have. It might please some people, it wouldn't be difficult for The Escapist to do, and, well, it's a good idea. Admittedly I wouldn't have any interest in it, and not many others seem to either, but not all good ideas actually work.

Kross

World Breaker
Sep 27, 2004
As several people have said, the sub-forums are generally created based on demand. When a forum has a noticeable quantity of active threads on a subject (like talking about politics, or talking about sports); then we split it off into a sub-forum as it should have the users to keep the forum active, as well as help the people who want to talk about that topic see more of what's relevant.

Having a ton of slow or empty forums just makes the site look dead, and dilutes the conversation in the more general forums.

With that being said, now go make some threads about ball handling or pointing at guards. :)

subjectseven

Aug 19, 2011
C. Cain said:
subjectseven said:
True that. But you wouldn't believe how nerdy people can get about sports. ;)

Xanadu84 said:

As well as being a nerd, I'd say that I'm a pretty big fan of sport. But I guess it's just me being so exposed to it in New Zealand. I'm almost alone when I say I'd be keen for a sports forum, even if I know that it definitely won't be a big hit around here.

C. Cain

Oct 3, 2011
Xanadu84 said:
Well, if you weren't trying to, you should have. It might please some people, it wouldn't be difficult for The Escapist to do, and, well, it's a good idea. Admittedly I wouldn't have any interest in it, and not many others seem to either, but not all good ideas actually work.
Perhaps. But probably not. As Kross pointed out slow or rather empty forums may be detrimental to the site's image.

Psycho-Toaster said:
What is "sports"?
You may know it from games such as Madden or Fifa.

Kross said:
As several people have said, the sub-forums are generally created based on demand. When a forum has a noticeable quantity of active threads on a subject (like talking about politics, or talking about sports); then we split it off into a sub-forum as it should have the users to keep the forum active, as well as help the people who want to talk about that topic see more of what's relevant.

Having a ton of slow or empty forums just makes the site look dead, and dilutes the conversation in the more general forums.

With that being said, now go make some threads about ball handling or pointing at guards. :)
Oh well, I can respect that. It even addresses my question about cause and effect, albeit in an indirect, practical manner. That's much more helpful than merely stating "it's a gaming forum".

As for creating sport threads? No, thanks. The reception this thread got was chilly enough already. ;)

zombie711

Aug 17, 2009
Well theres not really that many threads about sports to make one, and the only reason religon and politics thread was made was because not only were there a lot of them but they started to cause problems

MiracleOfSound

Fight like a Krogan
Jan 3, 2009
I don't remember ever once seeing a sports discussion on this site, except when the World Cup was on.

OmniscientOstrich

Jan 6, 2011
If someone actually bothers to create a sports realted thread, I'd gladly post there, but I've yet to see that happen.

Vern

Sep 19, 2008
There is a forum for it. It's called Off-Topic. This is a site dedicated to videogames in general. If you want to talk about a sports videogame you can put it in the videogame section. If you want to talk about sports, you can put it in off-topic. Because games are the topic of the website. I'm not against sports, I've played baseball and football, and I enjoy watching rugby and hockey, but this is a site devoted to videogames. Why don't they have section dedicated to crochet? Or a section devoted to equestrianism? Because that's not the market.

TheYellowCellPhone

Sep 26, 2009
I don't think people talk about sports enough for anyone to demand a sub-forum to it. I see maybe two sports threads a week, certainly not enough for someone to get annoyed at seeing so many in Off-Topic.

You could argue we need a sub-forum for most other things -- TV shows, movies, music, anime -- but even if those topics cause more threads than sports, no one has made a sub-forum for them yet.

I think the Escapist needs more sub-forums anyway.

Sporky111

Digital Wizard
Dec 17, 2008
The only time a new forum gets made is when there are so many threads on the subject that a need arises. So unless Off-Topic becomes bogged down with sports-related threads it probably won't happen.

Klarinette

May 21, 2009
I never talk about sports here because I've never seen anyone else do it.

By chance, are you mourning over the Phillies game from last night? I sure am.

DustyDrB

Made of ticky tacky
Jan 19, 2010
Klarinette said:
I never talk about sports here because I've never seen anyone else do it.

By chance, are you mourning over the Phillies game from last night? I sure am.
Mourning over the Yankees loss, actually...
I'm still trying to figure out who to root for now. St Louis, I guess.

OT: I'm a massive baseball fan, but I already have places to talk about it. It's also not hard for me to get into a sports discussion pretty much anywhere. I can't say that about games, as none of my friends are gamers.

As for why there's a Religion and Politics section but no Sports Discussion: I see R & P as a containment zone for the most vitriolic arguing. It still gets out into Off-Topic from time to time, but I'm glad we have an R & P section even though I have not posted in it at all.