How come we don't see more kids in videogames in more serious roles and situations?

Hectix777

Feb 26, 2011
Listen, I know the obvious reason,"their kids why would they do that?" and," What do you mean? Haven't you played Final Fantasy or any other JRPG?" Yes I have, but two things about the JRPG take on kids in video games:

-The main character is usually a young man being somewhere between 16-18 years of age
-if their is a child in the game, he'll look like he is about eight years old and is usually a game or a completely unimportant character
-The young people who take the job that usually involves saving the world never really seem they understand the circumstances that are at stake and see the job they've been given as whimsical never ending party over a scenario that could end the world. I repeat: THEY TREAT SAVING THE ENTIRE F)(*& PLANET AS A JOKE

But let me paint a picture for you: You've seen the Mass Effect 3 trailer by now, I'm assuming. If you have you must have seen how royally f%$#@ England and Big Ben were. Everything is blackened by fire, buildings are crushed and broken, people run in fear as monsters run the streets, the attack is so unprovoked and unnoticed that the Earth has no plan to act against an invasion like this so they just do what they can. It cannot, one more time now, cannot be hard to imagine that a child has begun toting a gun in order to protect his friends. I mean, the Reapers are going no prisoners so it's almost every man for himself. Plus, wouldn't it create that moment of," Oh my God...that kid is using a gun...he can't be like 12 years old and he's fighting for his life with a gun...my God, this is...this is just...*tear* God awful. The world is f***** bad!" And another piece of this argument, anyone see the Dead Island trailer? Did you cry? Did you cry when the little girl, possibly the purest from of childlike innocence and good,
was trying to outrun a horde of zombies, but didn't make it? (If someone could dig up that Dead Island trailer for me that would be very appreciated)

Why would a child doing this create such an emotion? Because we imagine children as ignorant to hate and evil, it comes out a little when their 10-15 years old but they haven't experienced real hate, and they have never seen a real battlefield or a real gun outside of a video game. I mean, imagine for me right now, a small child lifting an M-16 in order to protect himself from a monster. Don't try and cheat by making him an anime character or a Japanese video game character, no imagine an actual child that, appearance bordering actual human appearance, picking up and using a gun. Can you do it? Can you see him? You can't can you?

This is why I want to see more kids in video games, like kids between 9-15, in more serious situations. The team of Extra Creditz pointed out how tear jerking a video game would be if it had a mother fighting and guiding her children through a war zone and than dying right as they reached safety, imagine how much more emotional that would be if instead of their mother you were the older brother. Imagine what Dragon Age 3 would be if we had a 12 year old Mage was sent to battle darkspawn on his own without his mentor, practically the only thing he has to a guardian, and is expected by the other soldiers to perform up to par. Imagine how scary it would be if their was a level in COD:Modern Warfare 3 where you played a 14-year old JROTC cadet(HS program) and son of a soldier that is now in Russia, and you had to navigate through a territory occupied by Russian troops unnoticed and doing whatever it takes to reach safety, even if that means killing someone. Imagine how much more serious Left4Dead3 would be if one of the members of the new survivors was a high school kid, barely old enough to drive, and is expected to pack heat and kill people who once lived, people that may have had families and that maybe some of them may have been some of his friends or family.

If you ask me, a child in as serious a scenario as those could possibly not touch the heart but grope it with fear, love, joy, anger, or whatever emotion a situation is supposed to bring out. A mother is one thing, a son of a mother is another matter entirely. What do you guys think? You think video games could benefit from children in more serious roles that involve more of the dread mask of Drama and and less the beautiful mask of Comedy? Offer your opinion and which type of game series/genre/developer/publisher that would give a higher sense of emotion in games and give them a chance to receive a more serious role in the art community.

Vern5

Mar 3, 2011
Kids are normally not treated as viable protagonists because:

A) They are not interesting to the target demographic of "gamers" who all (supposedly) wish to be handsome, 20-something protagonists with the air of BAMF about them.

B) kids are not normally viewed as being mentally developed enough to be able to handle every situation with the same results or actions as the average gamer.

3) Generally, kids in violent situations sets off all sorts of alarms in the non-gamer community. They will immediately take up arms against whatever product has a kid in a violent situation as it might "affect the minds of our nation's innocent youth"

All that being said, I'm not averse to children taking up important roles among gaming characters. I've always found the role of the incredibly mature child to be extra interesting as all of the mature characters will inevitably underestimate him until he says something that would make history's most renowned philosophers nod in agreement.

Formicidae

Mar 23, 2011
While seeing a child having to fight in a war is heart wrenching, it falls upon companies not wanting to depict the death or violence towards a minor in fear of scrutiny from the media.

DeadlyYellow

Jun 18, 2008
If Zone of the Enders and Fallout 3 have taught me anything, it's that kids become completely unlikable as characters the moment they speak.

Hectix777

Feb 26, 2011
emeraldrafael said:
Isnt Link a child for a decent portion of half its games?
Yeah, but that brings me back to my whimsical quest of fun theory. Do you think a kid charged with saving the earth would stop for playing mini games or other stuff or would he try and take this seriously and forget all about the side stuff and focus on getting from point A to point B as quickly and smoothly as possible and avoiding option C? I do think Link realized the role he had, but that was N64 graphics so determining a face of emotion is like making a picture out of a jigsaw puzzle without the picture the puzzle is supposed to look like and taking a character who can only go,"Hep, Hawp, HYAAAAAP!" doesn't reinforce my opinion and makes me think the Deku tree brainwashed link for this very purpose.

SomeLameStuff

What type of steak are you?
Apr 26, 2009
Could video games benefit from children in more serious roles? Yes, but Fox News and Friends would have a field day with it.

emeraldrafael

Jul 17, 2010
Hectix777 said:
emeraldrafael said:
Isnt Link a child for a decent portion of half its games?
Yeah, but that brings me back to my whimsical quest of fun theory. Do you think a kid charged with saving the earth would stop for playing mini games or other stuff or would he try and take this seriously and forget all about the side stuff and focus on getting from point A to point B as quickly and smoothly as possible and avoiding option C? I do think Link realized the role he had, but that was N64 graphics so determining a face of emotion is like making a picture out of a jigsaw puzzle without the picture the puzzle is supposed to look like and taking a character who can only go,"Hep, Hawp, HYAAAAAP!" doesn't reinforce my opinion and makes me think the Deku tree brainwashed link for this very purpose.
Considering most kids have a natural cause of ADHD, I wouldnt surprised if they stopped constantly and never even got back on the quest.

Case in point, pokemon. They're ten, and aside from following the natural flow of the paths you walk on, there's nothing stopping you from not bothering ot continue the game and just piss around in some town (i.e. Hearthome's contest hall).

The real question is, how would you survive the quest as a kid. Lets assume they're twelve, and lets assume they're an eagle scout (I have no idea the ranks, but I think thats the highest you can get as a boy). I still dont see how you're going to not get yourself shot or gored or anyhting.

Paksenarrion

Mar 13, 2009
Hectix777 said:
Paksenarrion said:
If they ever make an RTS FPS RPG of "Ender's Game"...
What is Ender's Game? By the sounds of it it already is a game
It's an awesome book by Orson Scott Card. There's...I can't say much else without spoiling it.

Noebahde

Apr 2, 2011
Having a child could allow more older players reflect on the past though the child's actions and feelings. Seeing how we use to see the world though ignorant eyes of a child seeing the true horror of the reality with adults eyes much like Rule of Rose is a very insightful realization. Though like all mediums of visual art everything is a symbol unless you have something to back it up it will seem like a lazy way to invoke emotion.

GrizzlerBorno

Sep 2, 2010
I can see where you're coming from. But here's the thing. When that Dead Island Trailer first showed up there were two vocal reactions. 1) That is a thing of Beauty. I am stunned. and 2) Those Polish sons'obitches are just exploiting our love of innocent children for shock value.

Why would that same reaction not be received for any Other game? Note that this is NOT the same reaction as "Corrupting our derp". I've seen that Reaction on Gamers. Notably Gamers who are Fathers. And it's understandable that Geoff Ramsey of RT couldn't sit through that trailer cause the little girl reminded him of his OWN daughter. If that trailer was a rendition of an Actual scene from the game....you can bet you're bottom dollar that He won't be the only Father who won't play Dead Island, in spite of the fact that he loves Zombie games.

And that's a pretty fucking big demographic to lose. I'm not a father, so I'm can't advocate their reaction.........but I get it.

Proven Paradox

Apr 10, 2011
Zone of the Enders, Ico, Limbo, a Shadow's Tale, (arguably?) Jet Force Gemini, Carl Clover from Blazblue, most incarnations of Link as already mentioned, the first half of Breath of Fire 3. If we're allowed to include 14-16, there's the entire Persona series. Odin Sphere has Mercades. I would argue Megaman would count as a child protagonist as well--in spite of the name, he and Roll both are children in most ways. It's perhaps stepping a bit far into whimsical for this conversation, but even Little Nemo.

Serious child protagonists are around, and have been for a while now. It's interesting to note that most of the names up there are from Japanese games though. Perhaps that's indicative of some cultural difference?

Hectix777 said:
What is Ender's Game? By the sounds of it it already is a game
Ender's Game is a science fiction classic by Orson Scott Card about a child genius pressed into service as a military tactician. It's basically required reading for any science fiction buff, and an excellent book in general.

Honestly, I would loathe hearing about a game based on it coming out. I don't have sufficient faith in most developers to do it justice. And besides that, the tactical part of that particular conflict isn't central to the book (believe it or not!), and focusing on that misses the point of the book.

Paksenarrion

Mar 13, 2009
Vern5 said:
Paksenarrion said:
If they ever make an RTS FPS RPG of "Ender's Game"...
...it would be amazing.
Seriously!

It would start off as a First Person RPG, the important event cinematics would play out like the action scenes in Heavy Rain. The Game Room would be FPS style. Gameplay on the stations would be First Person RPG. And the Simulator part would be RTS. I've always imagined Sean Connery playing Mahzer Rackam.