Dreiko

Elite Member
Legacy
May 1, 2020
CT
Country
usa
male, pronouns: your majesty/my lord/daddy
There are plenty of YouTubers who already do that with a first look or impressions video. They tend to do those way more than most professionals in the industry.
Yeah I mean as a "thing" and not as just something some people randomly opt to do. We need to have the "first look" thing that has the same status but different inference than the "review" thing.

Houseman

Mad Hatter Meme Machine.
Legacy
Apr 4, 2020
On the subject of Early Access and reviews, the VR game Onward pulled a bait-and-switch by releasing with great graphics that you needed a top-of-the-line computer to run. But then, tempted by the smell of money, they downgraded the graphics so that they could support the Oculus Quest, which is a standalone VR system that is considerably weaker.

So now all the PCVR people are angry at the developers for downgrading their game and everyone is flipping their positive reviews to negative ones.

Dreiko

Elite Member
Legacy
May 1, 2020
CT
Country
usa
male, pronouns: your majesty/my lord/daddy
On the subject of Early Access and reviews, the VR game Onward pulled a bait-and-switch by releasing with great graphics that you needed a top-of-the-line computer to run. But then, tempted by the smell of money, they downgraded the graphics so that they could support the Oculus Quest, which is a standalone VR system that is considerably weaker.

So now all the PCVR people are angry at the developers for downgrading their game and everyone is flipping their positive reviews to negative ones.
Can't you just have graphic settings for that sort of thing?

Isn't this what settings are for? I'm very confused pikachu face right now lol.

Houseman

Mad Hatter Meme Machine.
Legacy
Apr 4, 2020
Can't you just have graphic settings for that sort of thing?

Isn't this what settings are for? I'm very confused pikachu face right now lol.
I have no idea. I would like to think that the devs are reasonable, technically proficient people, and that if they could, they would have done that, so since they didn't, that means it wasn't possible. But then again, reasonable people wouldn't have thrown their PC audience under the bus in the first place, so...

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
Yeah I mean as a "thing" and not as just something some people randomly opt to do. We need to have the "first look" thing that has the same status but different inference than the "review" thing.
The OP did link to an IGN EA review, which sounds like what you're asking for. I'm pretty sure they're not the only outlet that talks about EA games.

EA games get coverage and I've noticed they tend to get labeled correctly as such, so I'm not sure what you're asking for that isn't happening.

I mean, the caveat "It's not a complete product/It's EA" is often mentioned in the review/impression so there's the inherent "Hopefully these issues I found will be fixed by full release" often stated.

Fieldy409

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 18, 2020
Country
Australia
Oh derp I'm an idiot. EA for Early Acess not Electronic Arts haha.

wings012

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 7, 2011
Country
Malaysia
I think the only problem I might have with the IGN review is that a score was given at all. I thought the review itself was fairly informative as to the current state of the game and what to expect from

Reactions: Specter Von Baren

Dalisclock

Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
Country
Eagleland
I think the only problem I might have with the IGN review is that a score was given at all. I thought the review itself was fairly informative as to the current state of the game and what to expect from
Out of curiosity, is it because it's a score for something in EA or that it was scored at all?

Dalisclock

Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
Country
Eagleland
Okay, so how much of this is "you shouldn't review a game that isn't considered finished yet", and how much is "you can't say bad things about this thing I like"? Because the common percentage is 10%/90%.
Well, the 8.8 trope exists for a reason. Like the famous one about Jim Sterlingson getting raked over the coals by certain Nintendo fans because he dared to suggest Breath of the Wild wasn't perfect(even though he said he did quite like it), notably because of the weapon degradation mechanic.