How did the internet start?

creepy_rabbit

Aug 7, 2008
I doubt that it serves the purpose it was supposed to do in the beginning, don't you?
But what was its original purpose?
i'd like to know as much as possible about this because i find it quite a mystery.

P.S Serious answers people!

MorsePacific

Nov 5, 2008
It was originally a network designed to allow the military to communicate more quickly and easily.

SomethingUnrelated

Aug 29, 2009
Some guy (forget the name) starting linking computers together, for trnasfrers and stuff, and so on, until it became the gargantuan monster it is today.

Before anyone says anything about it, there is no center to the internet.

the_duke_CC

Feb 4, 2008
Well the first sign of the internet was between 2 universities on the east cost of america (the names of which escape me for the moment) but it was only to test a theory that 2 computers could comunicate over a vast distance without being directly connected to eachother. It was further devolped into what we know today for military comunication aspects as far as i know.

OneHP

Optimist Laureate
Jan 31, 2008
Can't discuss this topic without mentioning Tim Berners Lee, whilst not the inventor of the Internet he did create the World Wide Web, the way most of us interact with the Internet today.

May 28, 2009
The Internet and the Worldwide Web are two totally different things. If it's the Internet you're interested in, then it was certainly an American invention. Credit for the Worldwide Web goes to Tim Berners Lee, a British CERN employee.

ae86gamer

Mar 10, 2009
I made it with some help from Neon.

[sup]I honestly have no clue how it started.[/sup]

NeutralDrow

Mar 23, 2009
Originally designed for military use, until a few visionaries (Al Gore among them, regardless of idiotic misquotes) argued for expanding its purpose.

Clashero

Aug 15, 2008
creepy_rabbit said:
I doubt that it serves the purpose it was supposed to do in the beginning, don't you?
But what was its original purpose?
i'd like to know as much as possible about this because i find it quite a mystery.

P.S Serious answers people!
Ironically, you should make use of the internet and go to Wikipedia or Google for that.

bodyklok

Feb 17, 2008

EDIT:Oh, and just for content.

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/How_was_the_Internet_invented

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Who_invented_the_Internet

Zacharine

Apr 17, 2009
creepy_rabbit said:
SakSak said:
This ought to answer most question in a brief manner.

The french invented the internet?!?!
They invented parts of it that acted as the basis for modern networking. But yes, something excellent came out of France :)