How do gamers choose a game to buy?

markus_cz

May 2, 2008
Hello,

I have quite a simple question: I've been reading about gamers consumer choices, how the bulk of the games is still sold in brick-and-mortar shops, how people tend to take games, which are available only as a download, less seriously, etc. etc. This is one of the things everyone seems to agree at, but where I tried to find some actual evidence for this, I failed.

So my question is - do you know of some research or survey or something, that answers the question how do gamers choose a game to buy, and where they buy it? I mean something like: "70% of gamers decide based on magazine reviews, 15% choose a game directly from the shelve" or "80% of all game sales come from real shops, the rest coming from online shopping". I tried to find something similar, but with no luck - I guess my Google-fu is not good enough.

I know my question is very specific, but maybe there's someone here who could help me. Well...

thanks in advance.

Voodoo Child

Dec 13, 2007
You could've done a poll and asked the members here how we decide.

It wouldn't be against the stupid polls rule would it?

MrCrun

Dec 17, 2004
It's reviews generally for me. Other wise it's games from studios I like with high consumer expectation and a good track record/known quantity (GTAIV, MGS4) or industry names Molyneux, Meier, Wright, Shafer. I do download games but usually after Eurogamer or RPS have mentioned them. Trials 2 was the last but others are anything buy Introversion and Gish. Gish is cheap on Steam.

Durant

May 1, 2008
Voodoo Child said:

I do think the sarcasm was unnecessary but its a good idea. However I do think he was looking for a more general consenus rather than just us who exist on these forums...

shadow1138

Mar 20, 2008
Personally I have to play before I buy it. I usually try the game in some cyber-club before buying. Most of the new games are easy to find at cyber clubs in Bulgaria, since there is a whole community spread around the cyber-cafes. I've even played some games only in cyber-cafe's in Bulgaria since it's actually a lot more cheaper than buying the game or renting it and it's times more cheaper than having to upgrade. CoD 4 is such a game for instance -the whole single player campaign costed me about 5 US Dollars -everything legit.
Now if I had to upgrade and everything there goes $ 2000

Voodoo Child

Dec 13, 2007
Durant said:
Voodoo Child said:

I do think the sarcasm was unnecessary but its a good idea. However I do think he was looking for a more general consenus rather than just us who exist on these forums...
What sarcasm? Sorry if it came across that way but nowhere was I intentionally expressing any.

Also, I guess you're right, but it's still a rather specific poll to be looking for. If it were me, I'd make the poll on several communities, and get the opinions of a lot of different groups.

Gavaroc

Apr 14, 2008
Personally I only buy games that satisfy one of these qualifications:

1) Is an RPG or an RTS.
2) Is recommended by a friend.
3) Is reviewed positively by a reliable reviewer.
4) Is made from a developer I know and love.
5) Is part of a series I have already played.

I do however, rent games every now and then and sometimes get surprised by finding something good and buyable...

Everyone has their own method of selecting games. Some are cautious and read about games first, others study game covers...

ingsoc

Feb 12, 2008
I have some general criteria that has evolved over time based on experience.

Developer (not game series or publisher). They are not all created equal. Some are better than others. Valve is miles ahead of every other developer out there. I am going to be far more interested in titles by this developer than most other because of their established track record. The same goes for ID and Crytek. I am less likely to purchase a game from other developers without playing it.

Reviews. While a bad review will sink a game for me, I do take reviews into consideration. For example, even if a review is stellar, you can generally read between the lines and pull some tidbits out that were not apparent from the review such as focus. Is the game really put out there for the online community or is it focused on the single player.

Length. Thanks to experiences with Call of Duty 4 and Halo 2, if a game is not up to snuff length wise, or a developer is using lame online play as an excuse to not develop a game (Halo 2 and 3) or not make a single player game that is adequate (COD4), I will wait until it hits the bargain bin.

markus_cz

May 2, 2008
Thanks for your responses, but Durant is right - while it is interesting listening to your buying preferences, I really am looking for some "general" and "serious" research. However, creating a poll and asking the users of this forums could be an interesting topic for a discission - feel free to steal the idea.

Oh yes, I know my question is very specific, and I know the chance someone here actually knows of it is quite small, but what the hell. I though I might give it a try anyway. Of all the forums I know, the Escapist seems to be perhaps the most well-informed, so here you are. :p

EDIT: Ok, well, it seems that the discussion about your way of choosing games is already getting under way. Go ahead then, don't let me interrupt you :)

Durant

May 1, 2008
@Voodoo Child
At least that is cleared up :)

My brothers and I have different methods of selecting a game to buy.

When we were all living together and had playstation and playstation 2 our selection was more based on demos/reviews from the playstation magazine. It kind of had an impression on us, their reviewers.

Now though, my youngest brother reads and scowers the internet for all information he can find pertaining to a game he is interested in and makes his choice based on his overall opinion of views + other forum people's expectations.

My other brother (a bit older than the youngest but younger than me) does less investigative work and just gets the game as he makes more income than the youngest. I never ask but what is usually inferred by his actions is "I got the money to purchase the game so why the hell bother".

Both of them gets information from Game Trailer's website in particular while the youngest also visits N4Games and NeoGaff.

I like to listen to previews/reviews as well but I dont search and I am more of a picky buyer. Also I tend to note a companies history with a particular genre or just previous releases of games that they provided for the mainstream. For me I tend to get a bit detailed (analyzing the review and previews in details looking for signs of bias, and concerns and such) but its because I look out for my own interests rather than become a fan boy loyal to the interests of the company.

Anarchemitis

Dec 23, 2007
I choose based on a well researched idea based on reveiws and lots of videos on IGN and youtube.

Conqueror Kenny

Jan 14, 2008
well i just look out for the hype, if a game is hyped to be good and has intresting ideas thenm ill look out for it otherwise i would just look out for somthing with a pritty case :p

Lightbulb

Oct 28, 2007
I play the demo, or play the game if theres no demo. If its good i buy it, if not i give it back to whoever i borrowed it off.

Review tend to suck and so i don't listen to them at all.

70% of games bought online. The other 30% in shops if they are reduced or on 3 for £20 or similar deals.

assassin18

Apr 28, 2008
I usually watch reviews on games (I'm enjoy gametrailers' reviews). I know my own preferences and biases when it comes to games and I tend to watch a few gameplay videos.

100% of my games are bought at the traditional story, not big on digital downloads... no credit card or pay pal. Besides, ottawa is a kick ass city to get out and explore :p

Thedarkestofsouls

Mar 22, 2008
Usually a mix of Game Informer, Blockbuster, and just looking at the back of a box. If you see something you think you'll like, then rent it first. If you are absolutely sure, buy it. If you don't think you'll like it, see what other people say. If you don't put a little effort into gaming, it won't pan out as well.

Mr. Purple

May 1, 2008
I have a lot of gamer friends so decisions are often based on their opinions, although i can hardly turn down a game from a company like Valve or from a series like Rainbow Six games.

Generic Redshirt

Apr 11, 2008
If a game gets ridiculously high scores and a massive amount of hype (particularly) from the actual gamers themselves than I will try and make a point to buy it, although I tend to not make a trip for them, only if I see them in a store while looking for a game.
etc
Final Fantasy
Command and conquer
Halo

However I think the majority of my choices are still made by the cover catching my eye and the back of the box making the game sound intresting. This has led to some very bad choices but also some really good ones.
This is pretty much the same method I use for books and dvds.

stompy

Jan 21, 2008
I usually get a game after a bit of research, and reviews, but I've made some great purchases buy just buying a game off the shelf (I loved Kingdom Hearts).

Novajam

Apr 26, 2008
I generally read the reviews of the games I'm interested in, watch trailers, gameplay footage, and if possible play a demo version. The demo is usually the clincher.
Also I like an interesting single player/campaign/story mode. That's very important to me.