How do my fellow escapists feel about guns? (The real kind)

Macrobstar

Apr 28, 2010
Generic Gamer said:
VulakAerr said:
Fair enough, and if I see an intelligent argument on here FOR guns, I'll back down, but so far the arguments for have been painfully flawed.
Would you consider their use for hunting as intelligent? They're far more humane than bows and traps, you get far less maimed animals.

I'd also argue for a benefit of having a gun for home defense; distance. If you are right up in a burglar's face with a knife/baseball bat/candlestick holder then they're going to be close enough to attack you and are going to be considering that option. If you've got a gun pointed at them from the top of the staircase it puts a bit more distance in there and keeps both of you calmer. You feel less immediately threatened and the burglar doesn't feel hemmed in, it's a far better position to negotiate from and allows the burglar to leave without feeling they have to go through you.
no you would see the burglar and call the police, not rush up to him, plus most developed countries breed animals for slaughter and then sell them, why would you ever need to hunt?

Koroviev

Oct 3, 2010
Mr Fixit said:
Guns should be respected, but not feared. No matter what laws are passed criminals will find a way to get guns, so taking them from everyone else would do nothing.
Australians would probably beg to differ.

Xifel

Nov 28, 2007
Hunting weapons for hunters, for sports it's OK with some SEVERE background check and control. Other then that it should really just be used by the army and some special police units.

I'm Swedish and I really unconfortable that our police officers have guns. We have such a small amount of guncrimes in Sweden, and I don't think you should bring a gun to att fistfight...

Bender Rodriguez

Sep 2, 2010
We have a rifle in a hidden room on the farm, been there since the 30s.
Only been used for target practice, last time was sometime in the 60s.

I don't want to try it but its nice to know its there in case of the inevitable Zombie Apocalypse.

YazBar

Jun 23, 2010
There's no honor in guns, part of me wishes that wars were still faught with swords, but then again I would prefer no wars in the first place

BrionJames

Jul 8, 2009
ahh, guns...well if you take away a citizens right to bear arms. You know who will still have them? Criminals! I do believe the process of buying a firearm should involve some type of test, for mental instability and criminal tendencies, but those of us who are stable folk who just want to have some fun exploding soft targets...like a watermelon, with JHP, that jacketed-hollow-point, ammo should be able to do so whenever we feel like it. CC licenses should be even more scrutinizing and cost less for the actual license.

Nvv

Sep 28, 2009
Unecessary for the general populace (i.e. civilians, and police to some extent) in a civilised society.

Nocturnal Gentleman

Mar 12, 2010
Macrobstar said:
Generic Gamer said:
VulakAerr said:
Fair enough, and if I see an intelligent argument on here FOR guns, I'll back down, but so far the arguments for have been painfully flawed.
Would you consider their use for hunting as intelligent? They're far more humane than bows and traps, you get far less maimed animals.

I'd also argue for a benefit of having a gun for home defense; distance. If you are right up in a burglar's face with a knife/baseball bat/candlestick holder then they're going to be close enough to attack you and are going to be considering that option. If you've got a gun pointed at them from the top of the staircase it puts a bit more distance in there and keeps both of you calmer. You feel less immediately threatened and the burglar doesn't feel hemmed in, it's a far better position to negotiate from and allows the burglar to leave without feeling they have to go through you.
no you would see the burglar and call the police, not rush up to him, plus most developed countries breed animals for slaughter and then sell them, why would you ever need to hunt?
I'm kinda going both ways with the first argument. For home defense it can be helpful and useless at the same time. Depends on the situation. If the person that breaks into your house is crazy as shit a gun may be one of the few things that makes them stall long enough for police to arrive. Then again, if they're too close they might just intercept you pulling out the gun to begin with. Also, if you kill the robber, rapist, whatever you'll end up with jail time yourself.

Police only can be argued against too because it takes time for them to arrive. Sometimes too much time to save you.

For the humane hunting thing I don't really care. Your aim in hunting is to kill your prey quickly. If you're damn good with a bow you can still do that. I also like to mention that hunting has nothing to do with being in a developed country or not. Sometimes it's just a family or cultural tradition. Not to mention you avoid meat full of hormones or that lived in straight abuse by hunting. I like fishing and crabbing. Am I barbaric? I'm still killing animals.

mxfox408

Pee Eye Em Pee Daddy
Apr 4, 2010
Lerxst said:
mxfox408 said:
Lerxst said:
The argument for owning guns is a self-perpetuating one that applies to any weapon. If no one owned one, there would be no need for any of them.

The only thing you accomplish in owning a gun is ensuring that another person will also own one.
Ummm last i checked we have the right to bear arms. As long as you own a gun without using it on others its fine with me.
We have the right to piss ourselves and defecate in our pants too. How many people do you see jumping on board with that one?
As long as you do it without hurting others fine by me.

lolmynamewastaken

Jun 9, 2009
by the time i was 18 i owned 3 firearms (something of an achievement living in the UK)
i feel that there is nothing wrong with guns themselves, they aren't evil, they're tools for hunting or defence, however in the hands of people they become dangerous...

Nocturnal Gentleman

Mar 12, 2010
dunk12345 said:
Fact of the matter is there is a direct correlation between countries where guns are legal and countries with high gun crime. We see it in the news all too often and it's tragic.
There's a direct correlation in countries with extreme economic and cultural clashing that murder and other crime rates rise. I forgot, we're supposed to ignore other factors completely.

Fidelias

Nov 30, 2009
Koroviev said:
Fidelias said:
Azrael the Cat said:
Simple question. I live in Australia, where our murder rate (per person) is about one 90th (around 0.11) of the US rate. Most of the first world also has a murder rate around the same as Australia. Americans (as in US - Canada has about the same rate as Australia) kill each other at a rate that the rest of world find unimaginable.

So why is that the case? The fact that we don't have guns, and it is nigh impossible for a criminal to get his hands on a gun here (obviously gun controls won't work if you can just drive to the next state and buy one there - they work in Australia because they apply federally)? Or is the US just culturally barbaric?

Personally, I'd go with 'the guns'. If you prefer 'the US is culturally inferior' as an explanation, then be my guest...
This is just stupid reasoning. Just because someone finds a gun doesn't mean they're going to kill someone. Besides that, most of the guns that are used in crimes are illegal anyways. (For example, automatic firearms. Doesn't matter how it was bought, if it's automatic, it's illegal, even in the US) There are far too many variables to account for crime in the US to just narrow it down to "we're allowed to use guns".

That might also have to do with the fact that the US has a higher population than most other countries.

US= 311,890,694

Australia= 22,532,367

So yeah, study up on what you're preaching, because I don't want to be killed by someone robbing my house, just because some idiots decided that I wasn't allowed to own a gun for self defense.
I don't think the person is concerned with the individual. The simple fact of the matter is that the United States is saturated with firearms. Few other nations can compare. We do have an astonishingly high murder rate as far as developed nations are concerned. What the poster was trying to point out is that, following a program in which the Australian government bought back firearms from the public, the number of those killed by firearms was halved over a period of several years.

As for population numbers, I have a feeling that the person was speaking in terms of proportions. Our proportion of murder is likely much greater than their proportion of murder. Comparing raw numbers would be a pointless exercise, as you point out.
Okay, I understand. And I thank you for putting your points across so politely.

However, I just want to point out my opinion.

1.No matter what country you name, it has crime.

2.A criminal could very easily break into my house.

3.I would not be able to defend myself without a gun.

So here's my point. I don't CARE that the US has an extremely high crime rate. I care that there's a chance that I might one day have someone break into my house to kill me or my family. I care about the fact that if I didn't have a gun, I would not be able to defend myself. Me, and my family, would be dead.

So do you understand? Taking away guns is putting a death sentance on anybody in this situation. And it's not like this is rare. This happens all the time, in all parts of the world.

Slayer_2

Jul 28, 2008
Housebroken Lunatic said:
Mackheath said:
Regarding self-defense, I don't need a gun; I've got several combat knives in my room, and one under my pillow. So if anyone comes house-calling they will be on the recieving end of one.

As for guns, I think America are morons for carrying them around; they cause more problems than they solve. The police I can accept, but civilians? No thanks. I wouldn't want any of my neighbours keeping guns in their house, especially where I live.
Kind of ironic that some closet psycho who sleeps with a knife under the pillow objects to the neighbours owning weapons as well...
I had to laugh at this. Besides, it your attacker has a gun or any amount of combat skill, a knife is of little use, even in close quarters. The only exception is if you get the jump on him. More likely he'll disarm/shoot you, then you're as good as dead.

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
From a combat perspective, I think they are rather cowardly weapon myself. I'm not particularly fond of ranged weapons in general, to be honest.
Having said that, I do have a particular fondness for the western style revolver for some reason.
VulakAerr said:
I thought these forums were meant to be vaguely intelligent... fuck if you guys haven't proved it otherwise. Holy shit...
How naive art thou.

Macrobstar

Apr 28, 2010
Generic Gamer said:
Macrobstar said:
I reckon most people, upon hearing a noise, would go and see what it was rather than automatically call the police. If you come round the top of the landing and find yourself staring at a burglar you've got 2 options:

You run away.
They run away.

If you run away there's a good chance they'll come after you, if you've got a gun you can maintain that distance and give you both time to calmly decide what to do rather than going with your initial feeling.

As for hunting, there are several reasons to do it. The first is that in most densely populated countries we have removed top tier predators to protect farm animals. What this means is that deer and other wild animals breed uncontrolled until they starve. They're that stupid. This leaves us with a number of options. We can either have a population of starving deer or we can cull them. Hunting is controlled in numbers and acts as a cull. The advantage of a hunting season over a large scale cull is that frequently culled animals will simply be wasted whereas hunting ensures that the animals are used. The other problem with attempting a large scale cull of an animal like deer is that deer are very elusive, you need people on the ground really.

Hunted meat is tastier than farmed meat, the animal lives and dies in far more humane conditions and they are far less damaging to the environment.
didn't think about culling, good point, still don't think they should be sold to the general populace though

Feildin

Apr 17, 2009
I feel the reason behind Americans general pride in being able to own guns comes from the fact that they trough off a rather oppressive regime with there own weapons. Not to mention the fact that some of the most oppressive human rights violations have happened in places where the citizens owning firearms is illegal.
I feel everyone has the right to defend themselves, however most people really don't realize the skill needed to effectively use firearms. It is easier to learn and less perishable than skills with other martial weapons, and it is less dependent on the persons physical characteristics. It also takes some intelligence and common sense when selecting a firearm for personal defense. Take the S&W 500 previously mentioned, yes its an extremely powerful handgun. It however means it requires more practice to effectively wield it and it means you have a serious issue of over penetration. Whereas someone could more quickly learn to use a double barrel shotgun, and loaded with bird shot it would be equally or more effective with a much slimmer chance of punching though a wall and hitting an unintended victim on the other side.
As for Tasers and other less-lethal weapons, they can be effective at stopping violence, however they can still kill. So many people have died from Tasers that people are trying to get police to stop carrying them. There have even been deaths from Bean Bag rounds and the FN 303 which is basically a glorified paintball gun. So while effective you still have to be willing to accept the fact that using such an item can end in the death of the target. Is it less likely than with a firearm yes, but its still a possibility.
On the other subject of firearms from the US causing troubles in Mexico. From what I gather most Cartels use military level hardware, Full auto assault rifles, rocket launchers, and hand grenades. These are only legal in the US under very stringent Federal regulations. The likelihood of you finding these devices at a gun store, gun show, or even in a persons home is miniscule.
In short, yes firearms are designed to kill, but lacking them people still find ways to end each others lives. So blaming the tool itself is short sighted. I was a member of the military, I own firearms, if need be I would use them in self defense. However, I own them because I find the act of shooting at the range enjoyable, and I enjoy having fresh game on my kitchen table. So yes I support gun ownership, but I still feel sad whenever I hear about some jackwad using them to take an innocent persons life, just as I feel sad whenever I hear about someone crashing a vehicle into a crowd or going on a rampage with any other weapon.

Lerxst

Mar 30, 2008
mxfox408 said:
Lerxst said:
mxfox408 said:
Lerxst said:
The argument for owning guns is a self-perpetuating one that applies to any weapon. If no one owned one, there would be no need for any of them.

The only thing you accomplish in owning a gun is ensuring that another person will also own one.
Ummm last i checked we have the right to bear arms. As long as you own a gun without using it on others its fine with me.
We have the right to piss ourselves and defecate in our pants too. How many people do you see jumping on board with that one?
As long as you do it without hurting others fine by me.
Easy to say. Last I recall guns weren't intended to... make friendly conversations with your neighbors. Their purpose has a direct effect on other people, whether they're used or not.

Just because people have the right to do something, doesn't mean they should use it.

Comrade_Beric

Jacobin
May 10, 2010
The right of the people to bear arms has nothing to do with crime prevention. It is an important check against tyranny in that, should all conceivable peaceful options fail, the ability to resist is preserved.

Right-wing extremists are crazy because they keep talking like the time to use them has come. It's a ploy in the hopes it will get the more votes by looking like valiant fighters against (a non-existent) tyranny and they just kind of hope no one takes the message too literally like the guy in Arizona did... All of that said, the insanity is in encouraging violence for political gain, not in the preservation of the rights of the people.