How do my fellow escapists feel about guns? (The real kind)

Housebroken Lunatic

Sep 12, 2009
Mackheath said:
"closet psycho?" I don't haul my knives around in public, or practice with them; they all lie-bar a 2 inch dockers knife my grandfather gave me- on a shelf out of my easy reach. I keep them for home defense, because my windows are very accessable to the more desperate/greedy scum that live around my hometown. I don't use them for anything else but decor and keepsakes.
Uh, yeah. I own a bunch of more combat oriented knives too, but you don't see me sleeping with one under the pillow.

Also you don't seem to be against owning some form of weapon for self-defensive purposes (after all you claim to have knives for that very purpose) so why stop someone from owning a gun for the exact same reason?

The thing about knives are the fact that you need some actual skill to be able to use them efficiently in a hostile situation. Guns however are a lot more user friendly for home-defense purposes and also a lot more safe since you can put some distance between yourself and the aggressor without compromising your capacity to injure or kill the aggressor in question.

Hence why most people would like to have a gun for that purpose than a knife. But hypocritically you object to others having weapons for the exact same purpose you keep weapons in your own home...

Ham_authority95

Dec 8, 2009
Super Six One said:
Ham_authority95 said:
Super Six One said:
Ham_authority95 said:
When I start living alone, I'll probably just get a Tazer. Guns aren't fun for me to shoot, plus a Tazer would do away with all the nasty killing business if I never needed to defend myself.

Tazers do kill people tho? I mean it's electricity, that shit kills.
(nothing compared to a handgun i just felt like bringing it up)
It just stuns people. It will only kill you if you have heart or nervous system problems.
Yea but your body seezes and then you fall? Crack your head on something, swallow your tounge by accident choke? I've heard about it happening more that you would think, just sayin nothing is without risks.
that could certainly happen, but it's less risky that shooting someone in the chest with a pistol...

RobfromtheGulag

May 18, 2010
Slightly intrigued, but the bottom line is they are a tool for killing. We're past the stage of hunters and gatherers, so the only real reason to have them is for violent means.
So the goody-goody in me says ban em. Get em all on a rocket and send them and the blueprints into the sun. The cynic says whatever, we're overpopulated anyway.

ShadowsofHope

Outsider
Nov 1, 2009
In video games, I love them. Experimenting with different ones, watching the explosions, feeling the rumble of the controller as a machine gun goes off..

..In real life, however, I'll likely never touch one of them. They are objects designed with the sole purpose to kill, and I don't view that as a necessity at all. Then again, I'm quite the pacifist, so my opinion may be somewhat biased no less.

My thoughts over the gun control debate, however, are somewhat muddled. I'll still never trust a civilian with a gun over a law enforcement officer or trained soldier, however.

Harlemura

Ace Defective
May 1, 2009
I don't like 'em. Since I only live near old people that'd throw their back out trying to climb through a window, it's difficult for me to see self-defence as a reason to have something that could take someone's life so quickly.
I understand it, it just seems weird to me.

Using them for sport also seems weird to me, but that's just down to me not liking loud things.

Lerxst

Mar 30, 2008
mxfox408 said:
Lerxst said:
The argument for owning guns is a self-perpetuating one that applies to any weapon. If no one owned one, there would be no need for any of them.

The only thing you accomplish in owning a gun is ensuring that another person will also own one.
Ummm last i checked we have the right to bear arms. As long as you own a gun without using it on others its fine with me.
We have the right to piss ourselves and defecate in our pants too. How many people do you see jumping on board with that one?

cjbos81

Apr 8, 2009
VulakAerr said:
I'm shocked and horrified and what I'm reading. The only person who seems to be making a clear point is Azrael The Cat. Guns are designed to kill. Guns are incredibly effective at this job. Do you really want tools designed to kill freely available on your country's streets? I don't.

Shootings don't occur at an NRA meeting or gun club because why would somebody turn on their fellow gun-nut? If nobody has guns, it's a fuckload safer than if everybody does. All it takes is one jittery nutjob...

I thought these forums were meant to be vaguely intelligent... fuck if you guys haven't proved it otherwise. Holy shit...
Get over yourself, whoever the fuck you are.(or think you are)
Mackheath said:
Regarding self-defense, I don't need a gun; I've got several combat knives in my room, and one under my pillow. So if anyone comes house-calling they will be on the recieving end of one.

As for guns, I think America are morons for carrying them around; they cause more problems than they solve. The police I can accept, but civilians? No thanks. I wouldn't want any of my neighbours keeping guns in their house, especially where I live.
You and your neighbors should be committed to an institution.

For everyone who opposes gun ownership, consider what happened in Arizona. If guns didn't exist, this deranged person could've easily crashed his vehicle into the crowd of people at high speed.

The results would've been identical. The congresswoman would be seriously harmed, 6 people would be dead, and several dozen would be injured.

Layzor

Feb 18, 2009
I beleive that one should keep guns in his/her zombie bunker and nowhere else. There just isn't a need for them.

AudienceOfOne1

Oct 22, 2010
VulakAerr said:
I'm shocked and horrified and what I'm reading. The only person who seems to be making a clear point is Azrael The Cat. Guns are designed to kill. Guns are incredibly effective at this job. Do you really want tools designed to kill freely available on your country's streets? I don't.

Shootings don't occur at an NRA meeting or gun club because why would somebody turn on their fellow gun-nut? If nobody has guns, it's a fuckload safer than if everybody does. All it takes is one jittery nutjob...

I thought these forums were meant to be vaguely intelligent... fuck if you guys haven't proved it otherwise. Holy shit...
Yeah I agree with you, guns cause more problems than they solve. Maybe banning them isn't the best option, but strict gun control is needed. Just looking at the rate of gun crime in the US is enough cause for this.

VulakAerr

Mar 31, 2010
mxfox408 said:
VulakAerr said:

So if i wanted i can get a gun off the street illigally so how is that making it safer? Your argument is flawed you make it sound as if people cant get guns anyway.
Look at the difference in gun-crime statistics between the US and the UK and then tell me my argument is flawed. If you want to remain blind to the facts, that's fine, but you're the one with the flawed argument, I'm afraid. It's orders of magnitude more difficult to get hold of guns here than it is in the US and the numbers speak for themselves. Get a grip.

If you like shooting stuff, that's fine, but don't pretend the main purpose of a gun isn't to take a life.

v3n0mat3

Jul 30, 2008
I am perfectly fine with them. I know that people stir up trouble with them, but that's just human nature. Can't deny that. Gun laws? Absolutely not. I don't want the government to control our right to own them.

mrx19869

Jun 17, 2009
Guns don't kill people only crazy people with guns kill people.
Only law abiding citizens follow gun laws.

If the criminals are going to have guns, I want a gun to.

Here in Florida we have very soft gun laws. You can get some paperwork, pay a fee and walk around Florida with a concealed gun. I fully support this.

Pojo-san

Sep 21, 2010
I personally don't have a gun, but I would like to get one myself. I also would like to get a license to carry a handgun for protection. One day, I plan on owning a S&W 500 which is a Smith and Wesson 12 inch long 50 caliber revolver. It's one of the most powerful handguns ever made. It cost between $3,000-$5,000.

I know what you are thinking, "Why do you need that? What's the point?" My answer is this: "Are you going mess with someone who is pointing a massive thing right at your face?" No, you wouldn't.

TheFPSisDead

Jan 3, 2011
mrx19869 said:
Guns don't kill people only crazy people with guns kill people.
Only law abiding citizens follow gun laws.

If the criminals are going to have guns, I want a gun to.

Here in Florida we have very soft gun laws. You can get some paperwork, pay a fee and walk around Florida with a concealed gun. I fully support this.

Pennsylvania is the same way.
Shit happens occassionally but the fact is i feel safer in my house knowing i can put a .40 cal hole the in the face of an intruder.

tseroff

Jun 8, 2009
VulakAerr said:
Dude, seriously? Just because you disagree doesn't mean you can rip on the others. Believing a certain way in a certain cause is fine, and it's great to have opinions, but there's no need for the name calling.