How Do Sony, Microsoft and Nintendo Preserve Their History?

vxicepickxv

Slayer of Bothan Spies
Sep 28, 2008
Why bother limiting the storage to things that are so prone to weakness. Why not use a dark, vacuum sealed room, with nothing but laser etched stone tablets, with all of the markings be machine source code?

Heart of Darkness

The final days of His Trolliness
Jul 1, 2009
HentMas said:
Considering the number of roms and emulators going on the web, i can safely say that the "preservation act" is in full force by the people, not the companies that made the games, check any abandonware site and you can find games as old as pong

i dont think "secured locations with humiditi blablabla" are as reliable as the deep sea of the interwebz
This. While it's nice to see developers also preserving their past, a lot of consumers also preserve the actual games. Sure, it's still considered piracy for games where the copyright is still in effect, but it does serve an archival purpose for old, abandoned, out-of-print games that no longer exist, like old coin-op games or things published for the Atari 2600 or Amiga.

And this is a problem for other industries than the video game one. For instance, a lot of American animation history has been lost due to the closing of studios, like some works of Walter Lantz, Paul Terry, and Ub Iwerks when he was working solo. Hell, even a good portion of Snow White and the Seven Dwarves ended up getting cut from the feature, and all that ended up in the circular file.

Electrogecko

Apr 15, 2010
LitleWaffle said:
How does Nintendo preserve their past games?

Which ones are their past ones? They all look the same to me.
Straying Bullet said:
Sounds awesome alright but Nintendo doesn't really has past games. All of them look alike or rehashed/re-used in different genres. Nothing big or original to keep!
FogHornG36 said:
thats good and all, but when we are talking about Nintendo you would, it would be saint's Row 20 and you will have a new choice of hats.
Yea! Nintendo does nothing but make the same games over and over! If Mario is in the game, it's exactly the same as Super Mario Bros.! God it's always just another one of their 30+ highly acclaimed franchises! They haven't even made a shooting game yet! We all saw how much Halo changed over the years and how it led the industry into an era of creativity and diversity!

drbarno

Nov 18, 2009
Electrogecko said:
LitleWaffle said:

Straying Bullet said:
Sounds awesome alright but Nintendo doesn't really has past games. All of them look alike or rehashed/re-used in different genres. Nothing big or original to keep!
FogHornG36 said:
thats good and all, but when we are talking about Nintendo you would, it would be saint's Row 20 and you will have a new choice of hats.
Yea! Nintendo does nothing but make the same games over and over! If Mario is in the game, it's exactly the same as Super Mario Bros.! God it's always just another one of their 30+ highly acclaimed franchises! They haven't even made a shooting game yet! We all saw how much Halo changed over the years and how it led the industry into an era of creativity and diversity!
I can feel the sarcasm glaring from the monitor here.

Also, it's a great thing companies are preserving old videogames, means you could find some underappreciated gems in there.

llafnwod

Nov 9, 2007
HentMas said:
Considering the number of roms and emulators going on the web, i can safely say that the "preservation act" is in full force by the people, not the companies that made the games, check any abandonware site and you can find games as old as pong
Exactly this. Software emulation is by far the best solution to hardware obsolescence, and lucky for us it's being done all the time.

WolfEdge

Oct 22, 2008
LitleWaffle said:

HEY-OH! http://instantrimshot.com/

Logic 0

Aug 28, 2009
It's good to know the big three care about history and know the money they would make with those gems.

Paksenarrion

Mar 13, 2009
How do Sony, Microsoft, and Nintendo preserve their history?

You must construct additional supply depots/Overlords/pylons.

Mister Benoit

Sep 19, 2008
Paksenarrion said:
How do Sony, Microsoft, and Nintendo preserve their history?

You must construct additional supply depots/Overlords/pylons.
That's how Blizzard does it.. and they use Supply Depots, they are Terran of course... Jeez!