How do you deal with loading times?

mrhappyface

Jul 25, 2009
Ever since the dawn of gaming, every player has had the foe that did not test their hp or their skill with weapons, but attacked a much more vital part of you: Your patience. This is called the loading screen. Whether you're praying that Fallout 3 or Crysis will not fail on you for the billionth time, or just simply trying not to lose your sanity looking at the You Died Screen on Demon's Souls or Ninja Gaiden; we all have a different way of coping with the wait. I ususally put Family Guy and South Park on a portable DVD player next to my PC or on the coffee table and press play whenever a loading screen comes up. What do you people do?

Satin6T

May 5, 2009
uh for console games i usually have my tv on splitscreen anyway, multitasking ftw

May 28, 2009
It gave me mild OCD. I had to press the four buttons (PS2 controller, where the Xbox's "triggers" would be) in a certain order constantly.

Seriosuly, loading times are bad for you.

Adam

Apr 28, 2009
I usually scratch my nuts or take a sip of my drink...Heres a good idea, im sure it has been done in a game already, but I have not seen it yet. How about on each loading screen you get a page or a scene of a graphic novel, the G.Novel could be about the game itself, maybe part of the backstory or something that is happening far away from the main character. It would be an interesting idea, but it would have to be done right.

The DSM

Apr 18, 2009
Keep The Zombie Survival Guide near me when one pops up, I study what ill be doing when its loaded simple.

SomethingUnrelated

Aug 29, 2009
Errr....

Wait it out? They're usually not too long.

Although, I tend to run the computer while gaming, so do something on that while a game is loading.

Fudgo

Apr 11, 2009
Read a book, toss something around, or play with one of those bat & balls.

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
Watch the screen tips. Nearly all games have them now. If they don't, I usually just sit there.

veloper

Jan 20, 2009
Here's how I will deal with it when I upgrade to my next rig: SSD.

SSDs are getting cheaper and kingston for example make SSDs based on the intel X25-M.
Loading times will be console exclusive then.

Sassafrass

This is a placeholder
Legacy
Aug 24, 2009
Country
United Kingdom
Onyx Oblivion said:
Watch the screen tips. Nearly all games have them now. If they don't, I usually just sit there.
Same. Most of the games I have use music in loading screens anyway, so I just listen to that.
I do hate it though, when it loads a loading screen. Now loading...a pretty screen for the next loading scree.

Neonbob

The Noble Nuker
Dec 22, 2008
Recently, I've played my PSP.
Hooray for not being willing to go without entertainment for a minute or two.
^_^

Segadroid

Apparently a Premium Member now
Mar 20, 2009
Normally, I always get out my jojo from the drawer. Unfortunately it's broken now, so I think it's time to dust off my old Rubik's Cube.

EDIT: Damn, ninja'd :p

Radeonx

Apr 26, 2009
Neonbob said:
Recently, I've played my PSP.
Hooray for not being willing to go without entertainment for a minute or two.
^_^
I do that, except I just continue in my never ending Peggle game.
It's been open for 23 days straight, and I'm almost done.
And I only play during load times.