How do you deal with loading times?

Reep

Jul 23, 2008
I clean, either i tidy up my desk/room, or i clean my controller

Lord Thodin

Jul 1, 2009
Load times? Theres no such thing. There is a period of time when i lapse into a sub conscious state of being, but luckily this state lasts for only moments at a time.

zombflux

Oct 7, 2009
They usually only last like 5-15 seconds, so I just chill and look at the loading screen. If it was a longer one I'd probably break out into some handstands.

SultanP

Mar 15, 2009
I wait it out. I refuse to succumb to the idea that many seem to have that we need to be entertained every second we're awake. The game is just loading, not downloading the rest of itself and installing it.

Pegghead

Aug 4, 2009
Well normally the only loading screens I have to endure are those I get when I play games online on my computer, like if it has to download a map or a sound for me. I've got a piano right next to this computer so normally I just hammer away at that for a bit, or I just count. But if it's for something like a console and it's really long, I just go and do something else...like see how much my torrents have downloaded (jk).

manaman

Sep 2, 2007
Squid94 said:
Errr....

Wait it out? They're usually not too long.

Although, I tend to run the computer while gaming, so do something on that while a game is loading.
Seriously, this guy has it right...

You all act like the load screen gives you 10 min so fart around with.

I hardly notice them on the PC the things whip by, on the consoles I just wait the 30-45 sec.

The only time they annoy me is when the game makes you constantly move from one area to another, with a loading time between each one of them.

Pimppeter2

Dec 31, 2008
If I'm playing on Xbox I just flip back to my TV show. If I'm on the computer I just look at the TV, which I have on all day anyways

Aqualung

Mar 11, 2009
Usually just leave my computer and do something else... errands, homework, whatever.

For instance: today, I left my computer for 5 hours while it downloaded Champions Online for the free weekend. I've been waiting months for some free time to try out this game, which I thought looked amazing. I come back, and how far has it gotten?

14 goddamn %.

Way to go, Cryptic. What a failure, your patcher takes two days (a whole free weekend!). Guess I know this game really isn't worth it.

BonsaiK

Music Industry Corporate Whore
Nov 14, 2007
I keep at least one guitar by the computer and play with it if something is loading. I usually end up wishing games would take longer to load, like in Commodore 64 tape days when you could wait up to 20 minutes per game.

The_Healer

Jun 17, 2009
I sit there...
And stare at whatever fun animation they have put into the loading screen.

Biosophilogical

Jul 8, 2009
Woot for the power of instantaneous and reversible comas!!!

OT: My brain is awesome, I tend do drift into my own fantasy world.

veloper

Jan 20, 2009
Naturalized said:
veloper said:
Here's how I will deal with it when I upgrade to my next rig: SSD.

SSDs are getting cheaper and kingston for example make SSDs based on the intel X25-M.
Loading times will be console exclusive then.
And you will also have to replace your drive a LOT more often depending on how you use the quicksave button.

I will never use an SSD until there isn't a reliable mechanical HD (seriously I've never had one fail on me yet)
Intel claim their MLCs have a garanteed lifetime of 5 years * 20 GB writes per day. I can easily live with that.
Mydocuments, datafiles and swap will go on cheap 2nd harddrive. Win7 and big applications will be installed on the SSD.
When you go from the mainstream to high-end, nothing does more for overal performance than a SSD.