How do you deal with loading times?

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
Snore, fidget with the controller or random objects that might be lying around, look at the clouds, whistle, check MSN, check if there is an interesting post on The Escapist, pet one of the cats if they're on my room, watch the time, look at my Cylon figurine with proud, stare at the wall, and a gazillion other things.

I kinda suck at concentrating unless it's really interesting. Loading screens generally do not fit in that category.

PseudoDuck

Bacon Robot
Oct 18, 2009
KillerMidget said:
It gave me mild OCD. I had to press the four buttons (PS2 controller, where the Xbox's "triggers" would be) in a certain order constantly.

Seriosuly, loading times are bad for you.
Similar to this.

I do the level select cheat from Sonic 1 on my controller (Up, Down, Left, Right, A + Start) until the game starts. Or I do the same movement on the buttons (Y, A, X, B) with my other hand.

I don't know what I expect it to do...especially as I find myself doing it in other situations where I have to wait. Usually tap it out on my leg, or the palm of my hand - possibly hoping that I'll find the level select for life and can skip past Labyrinth Zone, or repeat Green Hill Zone 1.

Sonic broke my brain.

TheEvilCheese

Cheesey.
Dec 16, 2008
I thank God that im not playing oblivion on the PS3 (loading times from hell) and chuckle to myself.

Borrowed Time

Jun 29, 2009
I um... I found this incredible thing... It's really good man, you should try it... I swear, it'll blow your mind. Are you ready for this? No, no I don't think so.

You are not prepared!

For patience!!!

I dunno, I sit there and wait? Most of the time it's no more then 30 seconds. I can sit still for 30 seconds.
BlueMartian said:
Stare at the screen and wait patiently
This one has found and embraced the truth. Welcome and bask in its glory.

CargoHold

Sep 16, 2009
My computer's near my open kitchen- I get up and stare blankly into the fridge for a while.

Mar 25, 2009
Pushups! Figured out I just as well get some exercise and it´s something everyone should give a try. When taking the bus a lot in Farcry 2, you will get a healthy 100+ pushups during a hour or two of gameplay.

ethaninja

Oct 14, 2009
Yeah I pretend to play drumming songs on my desk. ORR, I go get something to eat/drink.

MDDC

Oct 2, 2009
Well, me personally - I love some WWE Smackdown vs. Raw 2010, but as for the loading times in that game? I surprise myself when I do not lose my mind, so many loading screens...So long it takes...It's annoying, let's just say that. Usually on other games, loading screens isn't much of a problem, so I normally don't mind.

JDviewer

Mar 3, 2009
Honestly, I play my handheld console while I wait during loading screens. I turn them on standby when my other console is ready! Seems that I can't be without any electronic appliance. Right now I'm listening to some music as well as on my computer...I'm sure I'm generating my own electric field from a lifetime exposure to technology.

Tekyro

Aug 10, 2009
Stand up, stretch, go get another drink and possibly something to eat, come back and wait for the last few seconds.

EDIT:
Borrowed Time said:
I um... I found this incredible thing... It's really good man, you should try it... I swear, it'll blow your mind. Are you ready for this? No, no I don't think so.

You are not prepared!

For patience!!!

I dunno, I sit there and wait? Most of the time it's no more then 30 seconds. I can sit still for 30 seconds.
BlueMartian said:
Stare at the screen and wait patiently
This one has found and embraced the truth. Welcome and bask in its glory.
Yeah but some games can have reeeeally long loading times.

EDITED EDIT:
PseudoDuck said:
I do the level select cheat from Sonic 1 on my controller (Up, Down, Left, Right, A + Start) until the game starts. Or I do the same movement on the buttons (Y, A, X, B) with my other hand.

I don't know what I expect it to do...especially as I find myself doing it in other situations where I have to wait. Usually tap it out on my leg, or the palm of my hand - possibly hoping that I'll find the level select for life and can skip past Labyrinth Zone, or repeat Green Hill Zone 1.

Sonic broke my brain.
I feel good knowing other people do this.

PseudoDuck

Bacon Robot
Oct 18, 2009
The weird thing is that the loading times on the Commodore 64 were at least 2 minutes long and it never bothered me. And I was about 10 at the time, so I have no idea where all my patience has gone.

And sometimes, if the loading went on for what seemed like too long, and I'd check the tape counter and find that it had reached the end of the tape... I'd have to do it all over again.

Computers were ace back in the day, weren't they?

Dott

Oct 27, 2009
I jam forks into my eyes.

No, seriously though.
I tend to get to my laptop (which I am conveniently at now) when I wait for a game to load (Fallout 3 is being a ***** again). When at my laptop, I tend to go here.
Problem solved.
I get to waste time whilst wasting time, and the game gets to b a ***** for as long as whatsoever.

LGC Pominator

Feb 11, 2009
In between halo match searches or loading screens on any single player game, i drop off my seat, do 25 pressups, drink more relentless and then return to my seat, i find that the game will be just coming off of the end of the loading time as i am placing my X3s back over my head and picking up the controller.

works well for me, started the year fat and 15 stone, now im rather muscular and 13 stone. Win for me!

Georgeman

Mar 2, 2009
Bear with it if it's short. If it's excruciatingly long, play a song on Guitar Hero, drink a beverage or two, play some Picross on DS or start cursing the developers for creating such long loading screens. Or just fuck the whole thing and play something else if the loading screens are long and many. I really wonder at times how I tolerated playing Neverwinter Nights 2 more than once what with all those inexcusably long loading times.