How do you deal with wasps in your house?

Feb 7, 2016
Every day I wake up, there's a 70% chance I'll see a wasp(s) floating around my house, either on a doorway or being a dick by flying from one side of the house to the other.

I'm also terrified of them. I've never been stung personally by a wasp (bees yes) but my mother was nearly killed by a swarm of them just repeatedly attacking her, and getting stuck in her hair.

We live just across the street from some woods and a river, so we get all kinds of obnoxious insects in our house, but most of them are easily dealt with because they can be easily captured (or killed, if I have to act fast), but wasps are a no go for me.

My house mate thinks this electric racket that's meant for flies and other minor insects works just fine, but they have to REALLY hold onto that button before the damn wasp stops moving, and I just don't have the confidence to use that thing. Plus, it's not always an option since wasps like to crawl around corner looking for a way out.

I've tried catching them in a container before, but there's the problem of getting a lid on before the bastard flies out and is now thoroughly pissed at you.

so how do you guys deal with them? Are you confident enough to just go squish them, or do you use some kind of bug zapper, or maybe you're crafty enough to catch them.

There's one in my kitchen as we speak, so if I never post again, I starved to death.

Sassafrass

This is a placeholder
Legacy
Aug 24, 2009
Country
United Kingdom

It's the only way to be sure.

But I either run screaming like a little girl, or just twat them with a newspaper.

Vendor-Lazarus

Censored by Mods. PM for Taboos
Mar 1, 2009
I hate wasps and bees. Bumblebees not so much, actually.

Living out in the country means those pesky stingers will bother you in the summer for sure.
Hence why I never ever eat outdoors. Screw picnics and barbecues.

I just watch them...intensely. aaand wait. and wait.
Until they get drawn to a window or door. I then sneak up gently and quickly open it up and watch them fly out.
For the most part.

Spiders, I catch in a plastic coca-cola bottle and drop outside the window.

Jan 27, 2011
As someone who is still working at overcoming a childhood phobia of wasps (Fuckign bastards got me twice, once as a baby eating a popcycle and once as a child curious about the neat yellow flying thingy that landed on my finge-OWWW!), you have my pity.

If there was a 70% chance of a wasp in my house every day, I'd legit move or demand that an exterminator blast the surrounding yard and doors and windows.

Raid bug spray and a slipper/shoe-stomp and/or a thick plastic placemat, swiped straight to their face as they fly by (followed by a stomp) is how we deal with them at my house when they fly near our food when we eat outside.

Redlin5_v1legacy

Better Red than Dead
Aug 5, 2009

I have many implements of wasp destruction at my disposal and I am a master of the syrup/soap trap. If they establish a forward raiding base, I respond with extreme prejudice... The forest is their turf, my yard is mine.

Chimpzy_v1legacy

Warning! Contains bananas!
Jun 21, 2009
Sassafrass said:
Redlin5 said:
Myeah, that would be my first choice as well.

Hans, get me ze flammenwerfer!

Failing that, I corner a few of them, grab them with a pincette, then use another pincette to carefully pull off their wings and legs.

Then I leave the crippled but alive wasps on my windowsill as a warning to the rest of.
Do it, mofos! Enter! I dare you! I double dare you!

MetalDooley

Cwipes!!!
Feb 9, 2010
Country
Ireland

Wasps! Hate the bastards!!

My father kept bees for years so I grew up with hives of bees in our garden and yet I've probably been stung more times by wasps in my life. Unlike bees, who will generally only sting if threatened, wasps are utter pricks who will sting for no bloody reason. Most recently last year I was on my way to work one morning and a wasp flew up behind me and stung me on the back of the head.

Any the come into my house get the rolled up newspaper treatment immediately

SupahEwok

Malapropic Homophone
Legacy
Jun 24, 2010
Country
Texas
If you have that many wasps then you have an infestation and possibly multiple nests. Get an exterminator.

Tiger King

Legacy
Oct 23, 2010
Country
USA
Get a mostly empty jam jar, add water but leave room in it (should be half full). Screw the lid back on the jam jar and drill holes in the top. The wasps will smell the sweet jam and climb in the jar but won't be able to get out, they eventually run out of energy flying in the jar and drown.

Also bees are cool they won't hurt you unless you attack their hive or something.

Feb 7, 2016
SupahEwok said:
If you have that many wasps then you have an infestation and possibly multiple nests. Get an exterminator.
I've been informed by my house mate that I'm exaggerating. We get about 2 in the house during the week. And it's only one at a time. (has been cases of several at a time)

Still, doesn't help my fear of them and inability to deal with them. There still might be validity in the infestation thing that I'll look into (or get someone more qualified to most likely)

Feb 7, 2016
carlsberg export said:
Get a mostly empty jam jar, add water but leave room in it (should be half full). Screw the lid back on the jam jar and drill holes in the top. The wasps will smell the sweet jam and climb in the jar but won't be able to get out, they eventually run out of energy flying in the jar and drown.

Also bees are cool they won't hurt you unless you attack their hive or something.
I'll try it out. I read something about soap as well that someone else here recommended.

Also I don't have any issues with bees. I only got stung by a bee once and it wasn't even that bad. At least bees don't go back for more action.

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
If your electric racket runs on C or D Batteries, it is powerful enough to set the wasp's innards on fire if it's a prolonged hit. A small hit will stun, though, which means you can follow-through quickly. So, the racket DOES work, I promise.

Raid-brand (or other strong brands) wasp-killer spray will work especially if they're looking around in corners and such, though. And if you don't have that, my sister pioneered the idea of using hairspray to gunk their wings and immobilize them for the kill.

Unpowered weapons of choice should be things like big phonebooks, magazines, and other books that are large and paperback in nature, to allow for a certain level of flexibility.

UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES SHOULD YOU EVER ATTEMPT TO CAPTURE A WASP.

THEY'RE ALL BASTARDS. KILL THEM WITH EXTREME PREJUDICE.

Now, there may - exaggeration or not - still be a wasp nest around. Big or small, they're roughly paper-colored (off-white) with holes in them, if you have not seen 'em before. They could be attached to your house in multiple places outside, which would lead them to be frequently wandering in because they think this is their domain. If you find a small one, my recommendation would be to Raid-spray it and then retreat to the safety of your house, then periodically check over the course of a few days (from a safe distance) for activity. Repeat until no activity is found in the area, then pry from your house. If you find a large one like attached to a tree or something, contact a professional to murder it.