How do you drink your coffee? And coffee tips.

Recusant

Nov 4, 2014
When I have coffee, which is annoyingly often (various medical problems of mine making caffeine a frequent necessity), I take it black. This is a pity, since coffee is brewed (and usually served) at temperatures far too hot to drink (at least for those of us whose mouths aren't lined with asbestos), both as a necessity for brewing and because most people dump in enough cream to cool it down to a reasonable level. Coffee is bitter and odd-tasting; in my experience, adding sugar makes it sweetly bitter and odd-tasting. I don't like relying on it, but I often need to; I don't want to do so more than necessary.

However, for the sake of public safety, there are two things I need to point out:
Firstly, caffeine doesn't give you energy. It blocks adenosine receptors in your brain, essentially tricking your body into thinking it's not tired. You are still tired; you just don't feel it. Coffee may make you feel more awake, but you're not any faster or more aware (save the lack of distracting fatigue feelings) than you would be without it. Plan for this, and drive/pilot/juggle nuclear warheads accordingly.

Secondly,
Shoggoth2588 said:
So my tip for you wanna-be coffee gourmands out there is to experiment until you find something that you like.
Gourmands don't experiment until they find something they like; they just eat/drink whatever they happen to have. A gourmand is not an gourmet or an epicure; it's just shy of a glutton, eating to excess and (most importantly) indiscriminately. Bloodlines goofed this up, too; it's a common mistake, but no less a mistake for that. People may want to be Jeff Smith, they do not want to be Homer Simpson.

sky14kemea

Deus Ex-Mod
Jun 26, 2008
I'm a coffee scrub. I like it milky and sugary. Also like those flavoured lattes.

I also really like coffee-flavoured ice cream. Or milkshakes with coffee in. My favourite is coffee-banana milkshake. :D

Imperioratorex Caprae

Henchgoat Emperor
May 15, 2010
I brew my own, using Cafe Bustelo (Cuban blend) that tends to be fairly strong brew. Heavy use of sugar for my own cup, cream and sometimes honey depending on how my throat feels in the AM (allergies flare up and honey seems to help that).

Gorrath

Feb 22, 2013
I like my coffee like I like my, uh... hrmmm. I can't think of anything else like I like my coffee but it's a dark roast with nothing in it. Bring on the bitter!

DefunctTheory

Not So Defunct Now
Mar 30, 2010
I just wake some 'regular' (Cheapo) coffee in a standard coffee maker and use creamer (French Vanilla liquid is my preference). I didn't used to drink coffee, but I found it useful when I started my last diet (More as a laxative and easy breakfast then anything else).

hermes

Mar 2, 2009
Obligatory reference.

OT: I don't often make my own coffee. If I am at the office, I take it black with no sugar. It is one of those "easy to use" coffee machines that uses soluble coffee and produces a result that is nowhere near good, but it is decent and gets the job done.

WindKnight

Quiet, Odd Sort.
Legacy
Jul 8, 2009
Cephiro
Country
United Kingdom
At least half milk, and a couple on artificial sweeteners.

If its half and half, I add the milk cold which means I can drink it right away. Full milk, I microwave the milk, and usually have to wait for it to cool to drink it.

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
I don't drink a lot of coffee, and almost never for a caffeine pick-me-up, but when I do I prefer it black, no sugar and really strong from a relatively dark roast preferably. The stuff that puts hair on your chest, so to speak

But I only really drink coffee regularly when I'm at my parents' place as my dad got one of those fancy coffee machine things with pre-programmable profiles and all that jazz and the cup that thing can make is divine. Otherwise I stick to tea and cocoa for my hot drinks.

Wary Wolf

Sep 10, 2015
Well I too shall make the old joke:

I like my coffee like I like my women; warm and sweet. So I'm with the milk (or cold water) and sugar crowd.

That said, for the all nighter, it's heaps of coffee, heaps of sugar and my balls to the wall! Although at that point I might as well fix myself up with a intravenous drip hooking me up with a straight caffeine fix. It's a thing.

LetalisK

May 5, 2010
With artificial sweetener. Sugar just congeals at the bottom of the cup(which I will still slurp down) and does very little for the taste. But artificial sweetener actually dissolves and sweetens the coffee. However, I don't drink much coffee anymore. Instead I just skip the middle man and take caffeine pills. :D

Also, coffee is one of my favorite smells in the world. Unfortunately, that smell does not match up to the taste at all. If only coffee tasted the way it smells.

Feb 7, 2016
How do I take my creamer you mean?
With a little bit of coffee.

Honestly, though, I can drink coffee in just about any form, even black, but I prefer flavor.
Iced coffee is my favorite though. I just prefer cold drinks to warm drinks in general.

Preferably with either a vanilla or caramel flavoring. I skip sugar though, probably more than enough of that in the creamer itself.

If I do drink it hot though, I drink it with a straw. Mostly because I'm stupid and don't understand the concept of "sipping" coffee. Doesn't seem to burn my mouth as often. Some of the heat must get lost in the straw I suppose.

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
I dunno how any of you can get by without it. I IV drip coffee directly into my blood stream!
But then again, caffeine for whatever reason doesn't seem to effect me as much as other people. I can drink 2 cups of coffee at night, and within the hour be absolutely exhausted and barely able to keep my eyes open.

Same with energy drinks. Have a 5 hour energy and I get about an hour worth of actual energy before its time to crash.

Thus why I drink like 10-12 cups a day. Black, little wee bit of sugar.

Sonmi

Renowned Latin Lover
Jan 30, 2009
I drink it black, at any time of the day, hot, in a cup.

Helps with work, and it makes my bowel movements regular. It's magic, each morning, five minutes after my first sip of coffee, I have to go. Like clockwork, mates.

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
In a bizarro universe where my opposite hates Mt. Dew and likes coffee instead, because I don't touch the stuff.

Faaip

Move Along
Jan 4, 2009
I cold brew my coffee so I always have some on hand. If I want it hot, I usually just heat it up on the stove. Usually I take it black with just a spoonful or so of sugar but sometimes I add varying amounts of cream.

I recommend the cold brew method though.. makes great coffee

GrumbleGrump

Oct 14, 2014
I drink either straight black or sometimes put a few drops of cinnamon and a teaspoon of sugar for each cup. I've tried making something fancier, like submarine coffee or cappuccinos, but I refuse to use anything other than a coffee grinder, so I've had limited success.
I'm open to suggestions though.

Raddra

Trashpanda
Jan 5, 2010
If you're just getting in to coffee its important to not judge all coffee's off a single one. This is like saying you don't like any fruit if you don't like green apples without ever trying banana's, oranges, pears, etc.

Try a range of them to find the right one for you.

Try them with and without milk, cream, sugar, sweetener, etc.

You can also try instant coffee's, again, every one as different as the next. There's a difference between powdered and granular coffee here.

[edit] Just had another idea here.

On many coffee websites, you can buy 'trial / variety / selection packs'. These are a great way to try different coffee's you haven't tried before for beginners and veterans alike.