How do you envision the future?

MintberryCrunch

Aug 20, 2011
This is just a thread where you say what you think will happen at some point in the future (preferably not say 5 seconds, 'cause that's just silly). Any point in the non- near future, for example where you see yourself in ten years, or what will happen after you die. Not 'in 5 minutes I'll be getting a glass of coke HUR HUR HUR'.
Personally, I believe that if we haven't all killed each other in some Fallout- esque nuclear war, society will have descended to the point where 'text speak' has become main language (this is say 100 years in the future). For example, 'u' has replaced 'you', 'gr8' replacing 'great' etc.

That's if we haven't been wiped out by the space llamas. >_>

Your turn.

GenericAmerican

Dec 27, 2009
I predict I will progressively get older; unless/until I die, in that case I will be dead.

I win, my answer is correct, close this thread.

Togs

Dec 8, 2010
We'll slowly destroy ourselves over the next century, and the planet will carry on its merry little way with new life evolving in weird and wonderful directions.

Can't remember where I heard it but once read this thing that detailed how prior to the fall of rome society became obsessed with superficial beauty and displays of wealth, kinda like how things are now- maybe meaningless but still interesting.

rokkolpo

Aug 29, 2009
Text speak is actually really good for language development.

OT: I think eventually technology will come to such highs we will find a way to destroy us all with a lot of ease.

Just have to wait for 1 idiot to actually do it.

Cheesus333

Aug 20, 2008
MintberryCrunch said:
Not 'in 5 minutes I'll be getting a glass of coke HUR HUR HUR'.
How did you know that.

OT: I reckon the future will be like it is now, except... well, I guess with marginally better technology. The problems will probably still be the same though, except we'll get over racism and start discriminating against robots instead. Probably. I don't know, I'm not psychic like you are!

Justice4L

Aug 24, 2011
Brink will happen but it will be much more fun and satisfying.

Seriously, I think we will just end up killing each other, so pretty much what we are doing now.

aba1

Mar 18, 2010
Nyargh Sex Robot said:
Judging by the last 50 years of human development, everything will get slightly sleeker, cars will be better at killing people and people will be somewhat taller.

And China will rule us all in a hellish worldwide totalitarian state.

So really, the usual.
I know I am excited too chinesse women are hawt hawt hawt so things are about get good :)

MintberryCrunch

Aug 20, 2011
Meatramen said:
Futurama will happen, that's what. :D
Oh dear god I hope so. I so want to cryogenically (sp?) freeze myself and wake up in a futuristic delivery crew with a badass swearing robot and a hot cyclops chick 'cause of that show.

Arkynomicon

Mar 25, 2011
Lots of pollution because we like to pretend it is not there, a lot of overpopulation, more wars, Internet ending up under some governments control, more religious conflicts and more of the same old as described above.

At least media products will get slicker though.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Apr 30, 2020
Country
UK
I think the future is more toward smaller things like products (new technologies) while larger stuff like buildings will have little progress. Sure we will see a few building poping up but not enough to revamp the entire city.

Also no there stil won't be any flying cars.

Odbarc

Elite Member
Jun 30, 2010
Everything will be more expensive.
People will be just as stupid.
Teenagers will find a new way to hurt themselves.
Everyone is afraid of change.
Nothing changes fundamentally and we all remember back to our youth about how much better it was despite it being the same.

shootandshiver

Aug 3, 2011
Time goes in tides. Between the late fifties to ten or so years from now, its been an iritating liberal time in the NATO and Warsaw regions, as it was brutal mining from the fifties back to about the 1870s, and back more, the age of reason, and before that, the age of the train, and before that, the age of shakespear, and before that, the third crusades, and before that, i dont know.

but all that rises, falls, and humanity is not nearly mature enough for what it owns, and whether cities erupt, burn, or starve and dehydrate, return as aways, and a hundred years away from it all, and a gingered relapse to another return, and perhaps, after, something like Nier.

Choices are made, temptations are found in every variety, and the race of man constantly proves itself to be little better than a cancer.

I welcome the balanced time, and then the fall, if i havnt offed myself

Monkfish Acc.

May 7, 2008
The exact fucking same as it is now. Everything is just slimmer and flimsier.

Also I guess I will only be in it as a corpse.

lobster1077

Feb 7, 2011
How long has the current state of society lasted? The information age I think it's called, I suppose it'll collapse within a few decades, if past patterns are anything to go by.

Darth Caelum

Jan 21, 2010
Hmm. I've only really realized this now, but everyone is so horribly pessimistic about the future in the Escapist. So horribly depressed you all are.

Nonetheless, technology will continue to advance at the steady state it's been going at, namely, miniaturization. Things getting smaller and smaller, people getting interconnected through the internet, and things basically being easier for everyone involved. Human nature will continue as it always has, being a mix of what society would say is good and evil. However, the form of this will change, as with every generation, finding a new outlook on how to express the inherent grayness of human nature. We won't become a utopia, but is is highly unlikely we destroy ourselves. At the very least, the people who are in the position to do so aren't stupid enough to do it. The masses are ultimately meaningless in this situation, besides the whole public opinion thing.