How do you feel about Japanese games?

LordOmnit

Oct 8, 2007
Well, as randomly placed as that is, I think that small girls sounding like they are in pain is supposed to be scary or unnerving or whatever. I can't say that anyone wouldn't have some kind of negative reaction to that unless they were some kind of freak.

modris

Jul 17, 2006
I think there are some great Japanese games. Osu! Tatakae! Ouendan! is one of the best examples I can think of. The Japanese music and bizarre stories came together to make a great game that just was not the same when turned into Elite Beat Agents. Phoenix Wright is another great Japanese series that I'm quite fond of. I used to be a fan of JRPGs but have kind of lost interest these days, though I am very interested in Lost Odyssey.

That said, I have one big complaint about Japanese games. For every great one I've played, there is probably at least one utterly despicable game that should never have been created. I'm talking about rape and pedophilia games. That anyone would ever make such a thing is messed up and that enough people buy them to make them profitable frightens me.

So I think Japan makes some brilliant games and some games that scare the hell out of me.

Ranzel

Oct 7, 2007
I highly enjoy a good JRPG. Actually, it's what my entire PS2 collection WAS consistent of. Was is in capitals because I sold my PS2 for a 360. 360 is, without a doubt, severly lacking anything from Japan, let alone RPGs. Blue Dragon- Sorry, it sucked. The Story was terrible, the game play was mediocre. Would I be buying good JRPGs if they were on the 360? Without a doubt. But there aren't any, and for now I don't really mind.

Oct 18, 2007
Ranzel said:
I highly enjoy a good JRPG. Actually, it's what my entire PS2 collection WAS consistent of. Was is in capitals because I sold my PS2 for a 360. 360 is, without a doubt, severly lacking anything from Japan, let alone RPGs. Blue Dragon- Sorry, it sucked. The Story was terrible, the game play was mediocre. Would I be buying good JRPGs if they were on the 360? Without a doubt. But there aren't any, and for now I don't really mind.
I felt the same way about the 360 until I bought Eternal Sonata. It's starts off slowly and it has some very very long cut-scenes but it is still a really really enjoyable game.

sumwar

Nov 6, 2007
modris said:
That said, I have one big complaint about Japanese games. For every great one I've played, there is probably at least one utterly despicable game that should never have been created. I'm talking about rape and pedophilia games. That anyone would ever make such a thing is messed up and that enough people buy them to make them profitable frightens me.
Yea that's what i was trying to say.

LordOmnit

Oct 8, 2007
Well, sure, if you try and breeze through the game like some FPS or 3rd person action/adventure game.
I agree with the blighting of savepoints, but I disagree that they can necessarily save anywhere, considering how much less space it takes up to have predetermined points, (further) but they also should have many more than some do (e.g.- Xenosaga, one per freaking entire area unless you go out of your way to find some other one from a previous area).

Lance Icarus

Oct 12, 2007
You gotta love Japan for throwing all our story archetypes into a blender with keywords like "demon", "ninja", and "schoolgirl".

As a matter of fact, I think those three keywords were thrown into a blender with Tekken to create Dead or Alive.

Ranzel

Oct 7, 2007
BubbaBrown said:
The real problems I have with Japanese games is this strange quirkiness with save points, needless repetition coupled with annoying timesinks, the mind-numbing pursuit of perfection in face of a computer playing with a stacked deck, and punishment for failure either being death or something greater than death.
1. Savepoints - Come on, YOU HAVE THE TECHNOLOGY to SAVE ANYWHERE! Use it!
2. Repetition should be used sparingly. And why is it usually coupled with timesinks?
1+2: Why am I having to replay parts of a game I can do perfectly just to get the point I'm actually having problems with.
3. Rough bosses made rougher, and then you have to either:
A. perform within a very limited time,
B. not get hit AT ALL,
C. perform some odd task whilst everything else is going,
D. ALL OF THE ABOVE.
I never understood this obsession of perfection against ridiculous odds, since after a point it becomes more dependent upon luck and twitch reactions rather than strategy and execution.
4. Oh no, I accidently got gazed by the big bad boss while at full health... DEAD. Not severely hurt and looking for a place to hide and recover... JUST DEAD. A wayward boss fart warps the air around me... DEAD. The big bad boss calls me a bad name... DEAD and my family is shamed for generations to come.

Individually, these things are everywhere. But this combination of all of them seems to absolutely plague Japanese games. I know these don't seem to deal with the weirdness and all, but content can be as crazy as it wants in my opinion. It's just that the laws in Japanese game design seem to mandate using as many of these design elements as possible. I don't know if it's just culture or just a carryover from the older console days.
I liked #4, because its completely and annoyingly true. I remeber in one of the PS2 Final Fantasies, althought this is probably in all FF games, there was this one boss who just had a move blatantly called "Death". As the name suggests, it killed the recipient of the move. To make a short story shorter, I never beat the guy, and actually gave up on the game as such.

modris

Jul 17, 2006
I never thought I'd write these words, but I agree with Bubba. I don't think it's all that difficult to include the ability to save anywhere and with a few exceptions it shouldn't break a well designed game. Things like DDR, Ouendan and Guitar Hero wouldn't be nearly as much fun if you could save part of the way through a song and retry until you got things right but with other games I think it's just considerate to let players stop when they want and pick the game up from that point later on. I also don't see the appeal of enemies with instant-death attacks. If you win, it was luck because if you were unlucky the unavoidable-death-attack would have killed you. These aren't flaws specific to Japanese games, but they do seem to pop up in a lot of them.

Kaelan

Nov 4, 2007
I remember when FF7 first came out and all the high praise the game received. People everywhere talking about how intense and emotional the story was, how exciting the game was and what an evolution for RPGs everywhere.

(...)

I realize that this rule doesn't apply to all Japanese RPG games, but I have certainly seen my share of vague and convoluted story-telling, which to me is even worse than just a bad story.
The biggest reason Final Fantasy 7 received so much praise when it came out was that it was the first real contact western gamers had with the series and that type of game in general. It wasn't really known too well around here by the large majority of gamers, and it was completely different from anything ever seen on the west, so it was a pretty big surprise. There's nothing particularly amazing about the storyline in 7 when compared to the rest of the series though. The game right before it, 6, really pushed the boundaries of stories in that sort of game(considering this was made in the SNES era of mario-esque platformers, shooters and adventure games), but it never got much recognition here mainly because it wasn't marketed here at all.

The thing you really have to understand about japanese RPGs is that only recently they've been starting to "Westernize" themselves. Japanese storytelling has very very different roots than western storytelling, so it really will be hard to understand them if you look at them in the same way you look at games like Baldur's Gate. If you don't remember these stories being very good, chances are you weren't really looking at it in the right way back when you last remember playing it. You should try playing any of those games again now, this time paying very close attention everything that happens within the story.

They like adding several nuances and connections in the storyline that aren't that easy to notice the first time you're playing it if you're not used to that kind of storytelling. This has already happened to me with so many games now, I'm beginning to lose count: I first played the game years ago when I was younger and just enjoyed it for the gameplay. When I play the game again now, I start noticing tons and tons of extra depth in the storyline that I just had never noticed before, simply because I wasn't used to it and I was too young to appreciate things like that.

There's plenty of examples(and [Spoiler warning goes here], if you've never played these games before, skip to the next paragraph): in Final Fantasy VIII, if you pay attention to the way the characters talk to each other near the end of the game, you'll notice that they're basically telling you that Laguna is Squall's father. In another part of the game ( a bit earlier), if you follow the storyline, you'll notice that Ultimecia (the villain you fight at the end of the game) isn't just some random person - it's actually Rinoa. Hell, for Xenogears they even realeased a book in Japan(in japanese only, unfortunatly - there's a partial translation of it here [http://www.gamefaqs.com/console/psx/file/199365/29716]) that went into detail into everything about the storyline that they put into the game, especially the things people might have failed to notice. When you play the game again after reading it, you notice that it actually is all there, you just might have not realized it the first time.

To put it in other words, I guess you could say that JRPG storylines are sort of an acquired taste. You really have to be around them for a while to start appreciating everything they have in them, because the best parts are usually not obvious from the get-go. Only recently with FF12 they've started to move away from that type of storytelling, in an attempt to lure in more western gamers that just don't identify with that.

The real problems I have with Japanese games(...):
1. Savepoints
2. Repetition
3. Rough bosses
4. Rough bosses
Not being able to save everywhere makes it actually matter how you do in the dungeon before you get to the boss and it makes the entire thing a part of a whole, instead of isolating the boss fight and the dungeon as two separate events. In other words, it's part of the challenge.

I'm not sure what you mean about the repetition and the rough bosses though. Any specific game you're talking about? Most RPG games are fairly easy on the normal storyline (especially the newer ones). Generally the only "cheap" bosses are the optional ones, which are meant to be like that as part of the challenge of killing them, since they're usually at the end of the game. I can't remember the last time I fought a regular boss in an RPG game that relied on luck and not on figuring out how to counter the boss's attacks.

Say, for example, you're fighting the Emerald or Ruby weapon boss in FF7 - sometimes they'll do some attack that will normally kill your entire party in a single turn. If you have someone equipped with with the right materia though, you can prevent it from killing you (Final Attack + Phoenix, for example, which casts Phoenix when you die, reviving you in turn). Figuring out how to fight in a situation like that is part of the challenge of these fights though. I'm glad they exist, especially since RPGs seem to be getting easier and easier latetly.

</wall o' text>

Arbre

Jan 13, 2007
I bought Rogue Galaxy, but the more I'm into it, the more I see how the story is stretched to get more hours of combat.

The whole universe is supported by a good mood, though it feels like they had put everything that's been done about space opera and fantasy into one big pot, shuffle, and got something.
Actually, it feels kinda weak.

The worst part is when you look attentively, each reason for why you're stuck somewhere and have to fight countless repetitive enemies is utterly stupid.

Even the story itself is, in fact, boring. You're just a young blonde guy stuck on a desert planet. Then a guy gives you a sword and two bounty hunters who were looking for this guy, actually think you're him because of the sword.

From there, it's just the young guy wanting to visit space.
Ah, of course, there's the traditional war between two factions in the background.

I merely play it for the fact that I bought it, and when I want to relax, I have that game to finish. Besides, the combats mechanics are dynamic enough so even the repetition slides down easily.

That said, characters are both interesting and clichés. There's a robot, a rogue guy, a dark haired cutie, a sort of mole in a suit, and you. Plus of course, the sexy amazone after the first world you visit.

Lance Icarus

Oct 12, 2007
Arbre said:
I bought Rogue Galaxy, but the more I'm into it, the more I see how the story is stretched to get more hours of combat.

The whole universe is supported by a good mood, though it feels like they had put everything that's been done about space opera and fantasy into one big pot, shuffle, and got something.
Actually, it feels kinda weak.

The worst part is when you look attentively, each reason for why you're stuck somewhere and have to fight countless repetitive enemies is utterly stupid.

Even the story itself is, in fact, boring. You're just a young blonde guy stuck on a desert planet. Then a guy gives you a sword and two bounty hunters who were looking for this guy, actually think you're him because of the sword.

From there, it's just the young guy wanting to visit space.
Ah, of course, there's the traditional war between two factions in the background.

I merely play it for the fact that I bought it, and when I want to relax, I have that game to finish. Besides, the combats mechanics are dynamic enough so even the repetition slides down easily.

That said, characters are both interesting and clichés. There's a robot, a rogue guy, a dark haired cutie, a sort of mole in a suit, and you. Plus of course, the sexy amazone after the first world you visit.

I love Rouge Galaxy, but that's mostly because I feel the developer Level 5 can do no wrong, especially after Dark Cloud 2. I'll admit there's plenty of cliches, but Rouge Galaxy does cliche right.

maxjae

Sep 28, 2007
Ranzel said:
I remeber in one of the PS2 Final Fantasies, althought this is probably in all FF games, there was this one boss who just had a move blatantly called "Death". As the name suggests, it killed the recipient of the move. To make a short story shorter, I never beat the guy, and actually gave up on the game as such.
That's nothing. I recall a tree-like boss in Final Fantasy 9 who could cast Death on each of your party members in one move. Mercifully, the spell had a tendency to miss, so it usually wouldn't wipe out your entire party. Unmercifully, the boss casted it fairly often. It was frickin ridiculous.

On the main topic: some Japanese games have a weirdness that I've grown accustomed to, but still don't understand. Why is it that characters in Japanese animation always have huge saucer-eyes, while Japanese people have narrow slit eyes? What's with the uber complex plots that some Japanese games have? I swear I'd need a flowchart to figure out what the heck happened at the end of Metal Gear Solid 2. Then there's completely off-the-wall games like Katamari Damacy that usually don't get released in America. Where does this weirdness come from? Does it come in pill form?

LordOmnit

Oct 8, 2007
I think you hit the point of the matter here, in that direct bosses required for completion and all aren't generally as bad (barring the occasional powerful-for-the-area-boss and possibly the final one), whereas extras are PURPOSEFULLY a challenge. And generally that '*****-maker' is only that way because you haven't appropriately leveled up. I know that that brings up the whole repetative rigmarole thing again, but then again, recently RPG's have been getting easier outside of the fun extra bits, and it doesn't take much to get to the right level to get rid of that bastard (unless it's one of those purposefully amazingly powerful things). And don't forget to take into account that you are blowing the whole death spell thing out of proportion. Honestly they can have an attack that does scads of damage, but if you are the right level, then you can counterbalance that with a little bit of, oh, say, strategy and good timing.

Kaelan

Nov 4, 2007
1. Lack of appropriate save points or save anywhere system
2. Repeated trips to distant locations to another distant location
Well, now you're on to something. I agree on both points, but only in theory. In theory, having save points placed at the wrong places (or not having enough in general) is a major design flaw and unnecessarily large travel time is a pretty big problem. However, there usually are save points at a fairly regular distance from each other. Abolishing the system entirely because some of the placement needs tweaking is throwing the baby out with the bathwater.

The only "save anywhere" system I've ever played in an RPG that actually didn't make the game absurdly easier was Breath of Fire V's, in which you only get a limited amount of "Save Tokens" throughout the game, and they're consumed every time you make a permanent save. If you ever absolutely need to stop playing, aren't near a save point and don't want to lose progress, you can make a temporary save, which is available from anywhere. Doing that immediately boots you out of the game though, and as soon as you load the save, it's deleted.

As for travel time, the large majority of RPG games provide a way to cut it down significantly (such as vehicles in most final fantasies, Teleport spells in several games, the Warp Gates in Breath of Fire III or the Pig statues in Radiata Stories).

Neither one of those problems happen with any significant frequency in RPG games (at least none of the several games I've been playing - if you have any particular games in mind, feel free to mention them).

While most storyline bosses aren't bad, I always like going for full completion of the game.
So it's not an issue with the game in general, only with the end-game bosses then. If that's the case, then your complaint is that the hardest bosses in the game are...hard?

Might as well say Devil May Cry is bad because you can't beat it on "Dante Must Die" mode.

SaraPh

Sep 6, 2007
I'm not going to try and convince anyone that Japanese games are awesome. If you don't like them, don't play them. If they frustrate you beyond what you can bear, and you can't not play the frustrating parts for whatever reason, again don't play them.

But here is a few things that are very important to understand as historical parts of Japanese culture, they effect games even if they are as stereotypical as saying Westerners love Dystopias.
A. Perfection is godliness.
B. Wizardry-like IS, not was, a comparatively popular game genre in Japan.
C. Western themes are exotic. Knights and Angels are to them what Samurai and Ninjas are to us.
D. Their culture has had Christianity for a comparatively short time, before that you had the Celestial Bureaucracy. This brings with it a few important points, angels and demons are roughly morality neutral. Life and life after death are intimately related, not inherently separated.
E. When telling a story, the reader can fill in gaps themselves and subtlety is a good thing. There isn't an overwhelming need to spell everything out to the umpteenth degree, and drill it into the end users head.

Do these make Japanese games better than Western games? How could it? It does make them different though. And as their culture grows and changes it does so separate from the US the same way the US is separate from Europe, except they share less then a couple centuries worth of history instead of all of their history with us.

P.S.
@Jaques:If someone feels the need to identify with a culture they weren't born into, even if they are stupid about it, I don't see how it's your place to tell them not to. It's not like any particular culture has any great claim to greatness over any other. Also I'm not terribly certain why being born into a society makes that ones culture some inherent part of you that must never be changed. But then, I am a globalist who would rather we could all drop Nationalistic bullshit and face the very real, and entirely inhuman, challenges ahead of us.

P.P.S.
You can complain about high school manga all you want, but until American Comic books can make more than 20% of the comic market about something other than superheroes, the Japanese are still producing better comic books in more genres. (Though I seem to remember we were doing better with horror pre comics code era.) Europe is also ahead of America, and I have no idea how it stacks compared to Japan, as I am from neither the country nor the continent.

Yerocha

Nov 3, 2007
Difficulty can often be an issue with these games, and I agree that save points are a big part of it. I'm currently playing FF5, which has an end dungeon that starts off at Insane difficulty and keeps getting more and more insane until it looks like the guy from Psycho. The last big stretch of this dungeon goes as such: after a savepoint, you have to climb several small floors of a dungeon filled with bizarrely-overpowered monsters (2 at once) to fight a boss. You go up to the next floor and fight a much more powerful boss who counters everything with a giant wave attack (and once, for no reason, he countered with two and then used a mind-flaying ability so the healers couldn`t act till they died). After this you get ported to a dungeon full of even more overpowered monsters who can cast death and use abilities that reduce you to 1 HP and stun you (among others). You then find an enemy who you have to steal a special item from in 20 seconds, or you lose it forever. After several more larger floors of monsters, you fight a stronger boss who is surrounded by powerful minions who cast spells all at once that can fry half your party in one turn. Only after you beat him does the next save point spawn.

That is not the sort of thing we need. You shouldn`t have to do something challenging, then be required to face something uber-cheap in order to save. I`d like to think that games have grown out of that, but I`ve also played DQVIII and Radiata Stories, so I know not to keep my hopes up.