How do you feel about "lost woods" type areas in games?

Tianelm

Feb 4, 2011
hazabaza1 said:
Fuck 'em. Fuck 'em hard. It's what made me stop playing Legend of Grimrock. Shame, I was enjoying it.
As far as I recall there isn't actually a puzzle like this in Grimrock.

The closest thing I can recall is-

A short linear corridor that in two places forces you to do a 180 turn.

scorptatious

The Resident Team ICO Fanboy
May 14, 2009
Limecake said:
scorptatious said:
And while I've never actually played Super Mario RPG, I still feel this is appropriate for this thread:
Holy Crap that's unfortunate, if you happen to know anyone with a copy you should really consider picking it up. Honestly I've been that game more times than I can count and eat's better than any other mario RPG I've played. It even is pretty funny.
I have watched some of it through a let's play. And it does look pretty good. Perhaps I should consider playing it myself.

loa

Jan 28, 2012
Dragon quest monsters had this stupid level which you can only pass if you write some directions some npc in the town says down and follow them.
I would always forget them and hate that level as it brought the game to a grinding halt because the developers thought it was a good idea to have people pass through a giant ass dungeon only to have to find out that you don't know those stupid directions and have to backtrack to town to get them, then you may waltz through said giant dungeon again for your second try.

Fuck that.

Also that grass plains part in breath of fire 4.
The game was great up until then and then, bam, giant empty space where you have to walk in very specific directions for a long time to get somewhere.
You miss that direction by a little *even if you know it*, start all over again.
The game once again came to a screeching halt.
What were they thinking?

More Fun To Compute

Nov 18, 2008
Labyrinths are better than corridors. Imagine if David Bowie was in a film called corridor, he probably wouldn't even wear leather trousers or sing.

Limecake

May 18, 2011
scorptatious said:
I have watched some of it through a let's play. And it does look pretty good. Perhaps I should consider playing it myself.
I might be a little biased since I grew up playing that game but I truly think it's one of the best Mario games, It's a little expensive to buy now though. a 'used' copy will still cost you about the same as a new game now.

And if you think that's bad Earthbound for SNES goes for around $100-$200 on amazon, retro gaming stores will almost definitely charge you more.

OT: My hatred for 'lost woods' levels aren't the same for a regular maze, just follow one wall and you eventually find your way out. But where you have 4 directions to choose from (including the way you came) it becomes a pain and feels like it's just padding the level out.

Jun 11, 2008
Is it random? Answer yes then fuck those hard if it is set then use a walkthrough if you hate them as that mitigates the problem.

malestrithe

Aug 18, 2008
If they are done well, then I do not mind them at all. I'd much prefer a mirror maze situation instead of a forest, but I've always been on the science fiction end of the spectrum.

hazabaza1

Want Skyrim. Want. Do want.
Nov 26, 2008
Tianelm said:
hazabaza1 said:
Fuck 'em. Fuck 'em hard. It's what made me stop playing Legend of Grimrock. Shame, I was enjoying it.
As far as I recall there isn't actually a puzzle like this in Grimrock.

The closest thing I can recall is-

A short linear corridor that in two places forces you to do a 180 turn.
There was a section somewhere, I forget what it was called. Essentially it's just a bunch of teleport spaces. There's no clues to tell you where to go, no way to remove any of the teleports, and it's just very disorienting and annoying in general.

Benni88

Oct 13, 2011
Interesting thread. I'm designing puzzles like this at the moment for work. I never really enjoyed doing them when I was a bit younger, but I'm finding them a lot more enjoyable now. I guess its the problem solving aspect of it which is more agreeable to me now.

Tianelm

Feb 4, 2011
hazabaza1 said:
There was a section somewhere, I forget what it was called. Essentially it's just a bunch of teleport spaces. There's no clues to tell you where to go, no way to remove any of the teleports, and it's just very disorienting and annoying in general.
Ohh, right, I know what you mean now, think it was called the Maze of Madness or something. Yeah, that was pretty annoying, especially with the loud hum those things make.

Evil Teddie

Feb 7, 2011
In Folklore, the Endless Corridor is like the Lost Woods, execpt you have to follow a clock Folk, NOT any of the clones that come afterward, that SINGLE clock Folk.

Why? Just Why!?

hazabaza1

Want Skyrim. Want. Do want.
Nov 26, 2008
Tianelm said:
hazabaza1 said:
Ohh, right, I know what you mean now, think it was called the Maze of Madness or something. Yeah, that was pretty annoying, especially with the loud hum those things make.
That was it.
After about 10 tries I was just like "Fuck this shit" and haven't played it since.

devilofthemist

Feb 13, 2012
if there is some sort of puzzle or hint or riddle that you can work out to find the right way then it is great even if it is vague or hard, but if it is just guessing then it's kinda stupid

kyogen

Feb 22, 2011
Love 'em. I like the gameplay change that it usually involves, but even maze-like design in regular levels keeps things interesting.

Lunar Templar

Sep 20, 2009
i get why they existed in older games, limited space for maps an all, but now, not really sure why an actual maze wouldn't work

Epona

Elite Member
Jun 24, 2011
Country
United States
Benni88 said:
Interesting thread. I'm designing puzzles like this at the moment for work. I never really enjoyed doing them when I was a bit younger, but I'm finding them a lot more enjoyable now. I guess its the problem solving aspect of it which is more agreeable to me now.
It's probably more fun to create them than to solve them.

Torrasque

Aug 6, 2010
It depends how they are done.
Lost woods is done really well because the first time you go through it, you have to follow Saria's song to find the right door. If you have any kind of patience at all, the "labyrinth" is really not that difficult at all. Even on your second trip through the lost woods, if you are patient and take the time to take in your surroundings and pay attention to where you are, it is not a difficult labyrinth to get through.

Other games tend to do it really lousy, like a trial and error. Zelda games have always been able to do it right.