How do you feel about remembrance day?

Boletes Net

Nov 9, 2010
I don't want to appear cold hearted but frankly I don't really care about the dead....they always go on about how soldiers died for us but I pretty sure they died for the government....okay well theres an acception when it comes to WWII.....I still don't really give a shit and i'm not going to wear a poppy so that I can pretend I do :)

The Cheezy One

Christian. Take that from me.
Dec 13, 2008
I sorta understand what you said. The past is the past.
But the past also made us what we are, and we should respect those that died to give us what we have. Also, the poppy money goes to widows of soldiers, wounded, and in fact anyone affected by war.
And you mean exception, not acception.

Boletes Net

Nov 9, 2010
The Cheezy One said:
I sorta understand what you said. The past is the past.
But the past also made us what we are, and we should respect those that died to give us what we have.
And you mean exception, not acception.
Yeah Its just me tbh when someone I know dies I dont feel as strongly as others seem to either an I knew i was gonna spell something wrong! :p

Boletes Net

Nov 9, 2010
Pirate Kitty said:
If we forget this, we become ungrateful, spoiled, and loose sense of just how bloody amazingly lucky and privileged we are.
Don't we already have that anyway? I mean in the majority....

MentalMyles

Jul 12, 2010
Pirate Kitty said:
We remember not just the soldiers or what they did - we remember what needed to be done to (in an idealist's mind) protect freedom and home.

If we forget this, we become ungrateful, spoiled, and loose sense of just how bloody amazingly lucky and privileged we are.
Yes! you speak the truth.

junkmanuk

Apr 7, 2009
Pirate Kitty said:
We remember not just the soldiers or what they did - we remember what needed to be done to (in an idealist's mind) protect freedom and home.

Pirate Kitty has summed up quite well.

My less eloquent answer would be 'you're a selfish jackass with an entitlement complex who doesn't understand the pain felt by many people whose children AT YOUR AGE were thrust into a war with a huge chance of death in order to defend the rights and freedoms that you enjoy today.'

You can thank your deity that war has changed sufficiently that you will never experience what they did, and we have a duty to remember these things so that future generations will not make the same mistakes.

CCountZero

Sep 20, 2008
While I do believe veterans deserve the respect of the people, it strikes me as odd that people will go about their business 364/365, but devote 1/365 to the vets.

Just doesn't seem right that most people only give a damn on the one day.

Way I see it, we remember the people who made the world what it is today by trying our best not to screw it up. (whether we are or not is a discussion for another time)

The same could be said for most other special days.

Verlander

Apr 22, 2010
I respect the dead, mainly because what happened completely changed the way the world is today. Fascism would be more acceptable, and none of us would be alive. They were "world" wars because they affected the world. I wear a poppy because I, like nearly everyone in Europe/America/Australia and a lot of Asia, had family who fought and died in it. I'm sad on my families anniversary of death, and I'm respectful for this.

The poppy was meant so that the wars wouldn't be forgotten or repeated, and if more people held on to that thought, maybe the big western countries wouldn't be so thoughtless and slapdash with their attitudes towards war.

7moreDead_v1legacy

Feb 17, 2009
Boletes Net said:
Pirate Kitty said:
At least if people are wearing poppies and attending the silence the people that do not know will ask questions...Mainly the younger generations and idiots.

I watched a program the other night that had me pretty shocked about the volunteers lack of knowledge about WW2, so I shudder too think what the people on the show would know about WW1...

I for one am grateful too the dead and the living for not having to goose step about with blonde hair and blue eyes...Damn you Scandinavians!

Boletes Net

Nov 9, 2010
7moreDead said:
Boletes Net said:
Pirate Kitty said:
At least if people are wearing poppies and attending the silence the people that do not know will ask questions...Mainly the younger generations and idiots.

I watched a program the other night that had me pretty shocked about the volunteers lack of knowledge about WW2, so I shudder too think what the people on the show would know about WW1...

I for one am grateful too the dead and the living for not having to goose step about with blonde hair and blue eyes...Damn you Scandinavians!
I totally agree with you, other than you seem to think that remembering these things will prevent them in the future? which I personally don't agree with...I think thats against human nature and there are way worse sides of humanity yet to come.

Boletes Net

Nov 9, 2010
junkmanuk said:
'you're a selfish jackass with an entitlement complex who doesn't understand the pain felt by many people whose children AT YOUR AGE were thrust into a war with a huge chance of death in order to defend the rights and freedoms that you enjoy today.'
Okay you make a point atleast...i wouldnt say a good one, what freedoms do we really have? cause from what I can tell these days you've not aloud to say anything because of fear of terrorism and even if you get a voice the government will say well we'll just break the law to stop you cause we think its wrong (example: prop 19). I'm not selfish I appreciate what I have but theres no saying the world wouldnt be a wonderful place had hitler won the war...im pretty sure it wouldnt but you cant predict theses things, I don't owe my life to a bunch of strangers who died so i could live in a comfortable seat in a nanny state :)

Wadders

Aug 16, 2008
I wear a poppy because I respect the dead, and especially those who died for our freedoms in the World Wars, when they were barely the same age as I am now. Those people died so that we can enjoy our lifes as we are doing now. I have grandparents and great grandparents who fought in the 2 World Wars, as does nearly everyone else of my generation.

They do not deserve to be forgotten or belittled.

People like you make me sigh.

Pirate Kitty said:

I know the quote notifications are probably pissing you off buy now, but yeah, you hit the nail on the head.

Boletes Net said:
junkmanuk said:
'you're a selfish jackass with an entitlement complex who doesn't understand the pain felt by many people whose children AT YOUR AGE were thrust into a war with a huge chance of death in order to defend the rights and freedoms that you enjoy today.'
theres no saying the world wouldnt be a wonderful place had hitler won the war...im pretty sure it wouldnt but you cant predict theses things, I don't owe my life to a bunch of strangers who died so i could live in a comfortable seat in a nanny state
I can say with 100% certainty the world would not have been a better place if we had lost the war. Unless of course, you symathise with killing vast amounts of Jews and Slavs.

Also: would you rather live in a nanny state, or some shit hole like Zimbabwe or N. Korea? I'm sorry dude, but you're being very ungreatful, there are people in the world in a worse off situation than you are. My point being that even if you dont like this country, you cant deny that it's better than a lot of other places.

PoliceBox63

Apr 7, 2010
No matter what my feelings on war and the like are, I will always have great respect for soldiers, their bravery and the sacrifices they made. They deserve respect.

dex-dex

Oct 20, 2009
people who do not learn about history they are doomed to repeat it.

also they had enough balls to give up their lives for the future.
that is the least we can do.

Megalodon

May 14, 2010
Rememberance Day used to really annoy me. When I was small in the Beavers/Cubs, it amounted to having to stand outside a church, often in the rain, for ages while a trumpet played and people made boring speeches. That really wasn't a good way of conveying the point of the day to a 5-10 year old.

7moreDead_v1legacy

Feb 17, 2009
Boletes Net said:
7moreDead said:
Boletes Net said:
Pirate Kitty said:

I totally agree with you, other than you seem to think that remembering these things will prevent them in the future? which I personally don't agree with...I think thats against human nature and there are way worse sides of humanity yet to come.
I never stated that I think it will act as a prevention o.0
Hell I am all for war, it spurs innovation and helps thin out global numbers (albeit in a grizzly fashion).

But it is bad taste to forget those that fought to protect other nations as well as their own.

Master Kuja

May 28, 2008
Pretty much the entirety of my family are military brats, we've got a long standing service in the armed forces, that alone should sum up my opinion on remembrance day.