How do you organize your gaming files on your PC/PS5/PS4/SERIES X/XBONE/SWITCH - V2

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
A thread I did back in V1. I wanted to see if anyone changed their organization habits or stayed the same with your physical, digital, or both.

On my PS4, I organize my games by genre or long running series I enjoy. For example, I have folder dedicated to Devil May Cry, a Brawler folder, Street Fighter folder, etc.

laggyteabag

Scrolling through forums, instead of playing games
Legacy
Oct 25, 2009
UK
On Steam, I organise what I have installed, what games are in my Steam backlog, and then everything else. I also usually ensure that whatever games I am playing/plan to play immediately, are installed on my SSD.

On PS4 and Switch, I don't really organise at all, though all of my physical copies are in their own console-separated baskets.

All of my Xbox/360/One games are also in a box, along with my Xbox One (that I don't play).

I also have a backloggery profile, which shows me what games I have completed (all time), what games I have beaten (this year), and what games I have yet to finish/play.

Reactions: BrawlMan

bluegate

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2010
Game folders on my PC are organised by alphabet.

Games on my PS4 are automatically organised by the OS itself; in order or last played. When I want to play something that isn't immediately on my screen I scroll over to the library and look up its name, which is easy because the PS4 library is by default organised by alphabet.

To be honest, I don't get people who actively organise their games in folders based on genre and what not.

I buy games because I want to play them, so when I buy a game, I'll immediately start playing it.
When I feel like playing a game, I immediately go to the game I want to play by jumping to its name.
I don't sit around wading through my "collection" of games, going through genres, looking for something to play, I'm familiar with what games are in my library and what I want to play, it's not like I'm flipping through a third party library with unknown games.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
To be honest, I don't get people who actively organise their games in folders based on genre and what not.
I can't speak for every game or a person, but I personally do it cuz it's part of the fun. Plus, it helps me relax at times. I also have a lot of games installed on my PS4, so the folders definitely help me out. No matter if the game is digital or I installed you a disk.

I buy games because I want to play them, so when I buy a game, I'll immediately start playing it.
When I feel like playing a game, I immediately go to the game I want to play by jumping to its name.
I don't sit around wading through my "collection" of games, going through genres, looking for something to play, I'm familiar with what games are in my library and what I want to play, it's not like I'm flipping through a third party library with unknown games.
Guess what? I play games to have fun too. Everybody's different and there's nothing wrong with that. Some of the games I organize by genre, some I organize what's played the most, or what I just downloaded and installed recently at the front inside specific folders. There's nothing wrong with your way, but everyone is different. No need to be narrow-minded about it. That's life dude.

Last edited:

bluegate

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2010
Guess what? I play games to have fun too. Everybody's different and there's nothing wrong with that. Some of the games I organized by genre, I put what I play the most or what I just download and installed recently at the top or near the front. There's nothing wrong with your way, but everyone is different. No need to be narrow-minded about it. That's life dude.
Le whut?

Reactions: laggyteabag

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
I organize by played.

So completed games go in the back, up to games I've yet to play or have not yet beat. It's a random mess that makes no sense to anyone but me :)

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
Damn, I never even delved into folders and such. I basically just have the games I like installed, and on PS4 the most recently played ones are right at the starting point of the UI. On PS3 it went by most recently installed, but it never bothered me to scroll down for older games.

Might have to start customizing a bit though for the hell of it. I do so for Windows folders in general so might as well extend it to consoles games if the option exists.