How does Vegatarianism stop global warming?

Motti

Jan 26, 2009
Why are people arrogant enough to think that they can make a difference? Why do think that we're actually changing anything again?

randommaster

Sep 10, 2008
Tesahli said:
randommaster said:
Hainted said:
Gooble said:
There'd be absolutely no need for any breeds that provide meat, so they'd all get slaughtered because they're taking up all the farmland that could be used to grow veg. Temporarily ironic I know.

Like someone was saying in another thread, if we ate polar bears they wouldn't be endangered. If we stopped eating beef cattle say then they would probably become endangered-all the meat poachers wanting to kill them for a start.
so now humanity decides which animals are "needed".I hope you realize we didn't magic up any of these animals,but only domesticated their wild ancestors.And it's not ironic it's called being a hypocrite.you either protect ALL the animals or NONE of the animals.
You can theoretically "save" all the animals, but some species are harder to save than others. We do, however, decide which animals to treat favorably, mainly on how cute they are. (You never hear people exclaim "save the monk fish!" because it's ugly.)

If we want to stop the cows from producing methane, we have to stop buying beef. We can still eat beef, we just have to make breeding large numbers of cows unprofitable. Do the Earth a favor and start rustling cattle!
I do remember though when PETA decided they wanted to go after fishing and started the "Sea-Kittens" campaign in a hope to change the image of fish to something more adorable and likable. As far as I can tell, in terms of their group goals it was a horrible failure, though in terms of giving Internet-cynics something to laugh at, it was a great success.
The problem with that campaign, one of the big ones anyways, is that "cute" is hard-coded into our brains, and anything that doesn't meet the requirements for "cute" is either deadly, useless, or edible. This is why people, and animals in general, put up with babies, because you would never let something not cute live in your house, eat all your food, and poop all over the walls. If PETA want to make fish cute, they need to develop a retro-virus that will change millions of years of evolution in our brains.

Zombie_Fish

Opiner of Mottos
Mar 20, 2009
Vegetarianism doesn't stop global warming. How can the two even be related?

Vegetarianism is meant to help endangered species, nothing to do with Global Warming.

Quotation Marx

Jun 29, 2009
Thanks for the welcome. The name was less of me as a Marxist and more that slapping quotations in people's faces instead of bothering with a tedious argument can be interesting. Since Quotation Marks and Quotation Marx are pronounced the same it made it much easier. Also, back to the quoting stuff.

"Part of the secret of a success in life is to eat what you like and let the food fight it out inside." -Mark Twain

Now stop with the tedious arguments and listen to the man! As for diets...

"Food is an important part of a balanced diet." -Frank Lebowitz

The Random One

May 29, 2008
Quotation Marx said:
"With all of the hysteria, all of the fear, all of the phony science, could it be that man-made global warming is the greatest hoax ever perpetrated on the American people? It sure sounds like it." -James M.Inhofe
I find this quote so hilarious, because as far as I can tell the United States are the only country in the world in which there's still doubt as to whether global warming is actually happening.

EDIT: It wasn't clear from my original post, but everywhere else people are pretty sure it is, in fact, happening.

Lord Azrael

Apr 16, 2009
I watched an episode of newsnight a while back where a member of the vegan alliance/greenpeace was seriously proposing to kill all the cows in Britain because of the amount of methane they produced! Paxman then got the president of the National Farmers' Union on the video link and you've never seen a man so confused as to whether to be catastrophically angry or to fall over laughing in response!

Seriously though climate change is a natural phenomenon, every 10,000 years or so we have an ice age, this has been extremely regular and we are now rather overdue. At this time (believe it or not) the polarity of the north and south poles swaps further complicating matters. We cannot reverse climate change. We may have contributed to it slightly (in a miniscule fashion) but even if every human being alive concentrated on maximising their ecomomy of living (I refuse to use terms such as 'carbon footprint' because it points to the user being full of uninformed shite) then it would still be akin to running against the earth's spin to try to slow it down!

The real reason for the development of alternative fuel sources is that the world's non-renewable fuels will one day deplete and we should be prepared, no other reasons, none of this hair-brained inflammatory [sic] pseudo science!

Travdelosmuertos

Apr 16, 2009
Cattle cause more pollution than all the cars in America. You can provide somewhere between several times more food per acre if you were growing soy in place of cattle. Many of those acres being used were once dense jungle that converted CO2 into oxygen. Without a highly oxygenated environment, humans cannot exist. Eventually we'll just suffocate ourselves.

And no, I'm not veggie, or vegan. I enjoy meat but I try to keep it to free range when possible. In fact, I just ate a delicious pulled pork sandwich from a local bbq place.

Another point to consider: the greenhouse effect was discovered on Venus and scientists study it to learn how to keep that from happening to Earth. I'm not saying man-made global warming exists but if the Earth is warming up, shouldn't we try to change that regardless of whose fault it is?

Quotation Marx

Jun 29, 2009
Travdelosmuertos said:
Cattle cause more pollution than all the cars in America. You can provide somewhere between several times more food per acre if you were growing soy in place of cattle. Many of those acres being used were once dense jungle that converted CO2 into oxygen. Without a highly oxygenated environment, humans cannot exist. Eventually we'll just suffocate ourselves.

And no, I'm not veggie, or vegan. I enjoy meat but I try to keep it to free range when possible. In fact, I just ate a delicious pulled pork sandwich from a local bbq place.

Another point to consider: the greenhouse effect was discovered on Venus and scientists study it to learn how to keep that from happening to Earth. I'm not saying man-made global warming exists but if the Earth is warming up, shouldn't we try to change that regardless of whose fault it is?
"Don't fix what's not broken." -That counts as a proverb or saying, doesn't it? Digging up whoever said that would be a pain.

SamLowry

Aug 27, 2008
Why are people arrogant enough to think that they can make a difference? Why do think that we're actually changing anything again?
My suggestion for you: Order a coffin and hire an undertaker to bury you... no difference, really.

Travdelosmuertos

Apr 16, 2009
Lord Azrael said:
The real reason for the development of alternative fuel sources is that the world's non-renewable fuels will one day deplete and we should be prepared, no other reasons, none of this hair-brained inflammatory [sic] pseudo science!
I agree with this though I think the fact that oil kills/oppresses everyone and everything it touches is reason enough.

Travdelosmuertos

Apr 16, 2009
Quotation Marx said:
Travdelosmuertos said:
Condensed
"Don't fix what's not broken." -That counts as a proverb or saying, doesn't it? Digging up whoever said that would be a pain.
Just because your car hasn't broken down yet doesn't mean it couldn't use a tune up. Sometimes a proactive stance is best. The planet on which I live is as good a candidate for that philosophy as any I've seen.

Numbert

May 15, 2008
DO YOUR RESEARCH PEOPLE! This is precisely the reason why I, an so many others became vegetarians. We artificially impregnate millions of cows each year to keep up with demand. The unnaturally high numbers cause an obscene amount of methane and carbon to be released every year. Here is an article from the UN news center explaining the problem in more detail http://www.un.org/apps/news/story.asp?NewsID=20772&Cr=global&Cr1=warming
I swear I'm really getting annoyed at all the anti-vegetarian bigotry on the escapist lately. Please before you post, make sure you actually know something about the topic.

SamLowry

Aug 27, 2008
People, are you really this uneducated?
Just look up how much water it takes to create one kilogram of meat vs. one kilogram of potatoes... you will be astonished.

Then there is good wheat wasted to be fed to animals, in order to make them grow faster.

Then there is massive deforestation to support the creating of additional animal feeding crops to still our greedy lust for flesh @ every possible meal.

And there are already regions in Spain and other parts of the world, which are totally dried up, because they are quite literally exporting their valuable water in the form of their vegetables across their borders.

For all you analphabets: Watch his http://www.youtube.com/homeproject

Travdelosmuertos

Apr 16, 2009
SamLowry said:
My suggestion for you: Order a coffin and hire an undertaker to bury you... no difference, really.
In the spirit of Quotation Marx:

"You tell me that I make no difference
At least I'm fuckin' trying
What the fuck have you done?"

Ian McKaye

Quotation Marx

Jun 29, 2009
"A human being has been given an intellect to make choices, and we know there are other food sources that do not require the killing of a creature that would protest being killed." -Mary Tyler Moore

But we choose to kill and eat anyways. Mob ru-I mean, Democracy, wins again!

duckfi8

Jan 21, 2009
i hate people from PETA and vegans, and vegetarians, i represent pissed off, meat eating, gun toting people and i would like to say FU*K YOU!

skutbag

Feb 16, 2009
As a vegetarian I apologize for any lectures you may have had rammed down your throat by media figures or other overly-zealous people. I think the choice of 'meat or no-meat' doesn't have to be a 'good vs evil' choice- we're at the top of the food chain for a reason. I would totally eat an animal if I had to survive. Even a really cute polar bear cub: I would pulp that little guy so hard.

However- the fact is that producing a burger takes way more energy than growing a potato. So people who eat potatoes don't take as much out of the environment as people who eat burgers. Transport, storage, feeding... Not to mention the overall 'thats-pretty-harsh-vibe' of factory farming. Whether you decide to take any action on this situation is (as always) up to you.

Yeah, yeah, potatoes aren't as appealing as burgers- whatever. For a lot of the world, and for quite a long time, meat has actually a bit of a luxury. Now we're knee deep in KFCs and McDonalds and SOMETHING has to support our decisions. That would be the world. The thing that supports everything.

People don't bother to learn about how their lifestyle is supported. I've met carnivores who are probably more eco/ethically 'right on' than I am- so it's not like being veggie suddenly makes you frikkin Jesus.

So what's the only REALLY fair way to eat meat? Hunt and kill it yourself. I've heard that Vegans are pretty tasty this time of year. I don't know, talking about the 'natural way of things' in the 21st century seems pretty dumb. Let's face it humanity: its ALL our fault, at least it has been for the past 8000 years.

razer17

Feb 3, 2009
samaritan.squirrel said:
Deforestation for cattle-growing space. Not good. Also, rearing an animal takes a lot of food that we could just eat ourselves.
id like to see you digest grass. because most of our livestock eats grass.
humans cant digest stuff that (herbivore) animals eat, we are built very differently.