How does Vegatarianism stop global warming?

brewbeard

Nov 29, 2007
Not to mention the plagues of zombies that the research for higher beef production and more easily controlled cows have unleashed upon society. Who could forget the tragedy of Willamette?

(more) On Topic, while forcing everyone in the world to be a vegetarian would certainly slow down perhaps one aspect of man-contributed global warming, it is not that simple. You would have to successfully educate every person you changed to a vegetarian on what constitutes a sustainable vegetarian diet and slowly phase out cattle breeding, replacing the land currently allocated to it with land suitable for the production of friable vegetable matter. You would also have to find a way to completely neutralize the meat industry and its inevitable counter-movement to save itself. Not to mention convincing hundreds of millions of people that vegetables should be eaten instead of meat.

There would have to be some sort of substantial benefit to becoming a vegetarian to convince the masses to do so. Making a governmental mandate that says, 'you eat vegetables, it is the law,' would be both immoral and irresponsible and objected to in a degree that would likely topple the movement itself.

All in all it would have to be a gradual thing. There would have to be a system in place that rewards ranchers who reallocate their resources to the production of vegetable foodstuffs and/or sell their land to people who will. There would also have to be a system in place that rewards consumers for making vegetarian choices. Alongside a massive education campaign teaching people the principals of a responsible vegetarian lifestyle. It's absolutely unrealistic to assume that people will just convert to vegetarianism, 'because global warming.' Commercials are a step in the right direction, but the overall tone needs to change and a great deal of infrastructure needs to be built in order to make any kind of headway whatsoever.

Even then meat would not see a 100% removal, nor should it. People will still want to eat it, albeit less often, and that desire could be used to fund the governmental departments necessary to facilitate the switch. I would suggest a gradually increased taxation on the more damaging meat markets alongside a subsidization of the vegetable and grains industries along with tax credits for people who frequently purchase non-meat foodstuffs.

SamLowry

Aug 27, 2008
But we choose to kill and eat anyways. Mob ru-I mean, Democracy, wins again!
Thank God you weren't given a brain to think for yourself, mindless hive-minded drone...
After all, you have to do what every other human (= we) does... how could your decisions possibly differ?

ThrobbingEgo

Nov 17, 2008
Of course it'd consume less energy. What do you think the cost of sustaining a field of corn would be compared to a field of cows? Add in transportation costs (shipping the calves to the farmer, shipping to slaughter, and shipping to your butcher) and then factor in the cost of the grains needed to sustain the animals (including the transportation of those grains) and the carbon footprint piles up. And I haven't even factored in the methane gas.

I don't think going vegetarian would stop global warming - heck, it's probably too late to do much about that - but reducing air pollution isn't a bad goal either. Personally, I think smog and haze are more immediate threats, ones we may be able to have impact on.

SamLowry

Aug 27, 2008
i hate people from PETA and vegans, and vegetarians, i represent pissed off, meat eating, gun toting people and i would like to say FU*K YOU!
Well-versed argumentation which is only matched by your overwhelming charm...

DarkRyter

Dec 15, 2008
You know what else causes global warming?
Just breathing.

I support population control as the easiest environmental solution.

Easykill

Sep 13, 2007
Animals we use to eat would NOT go crazy breeding in the wild. Because they're too dumb. They'd die almost immediately.Plus, we aren't constantly providing them with food and ample habitat; so even if they could survive in the wild, they'd quickly hit their population ceiling. They're also being extreme in those commercials. I mean, they're right, but it's not THAT big of a factor.

SamLowry

Aug 27, 2008
id like to see you digest grass. because most of our livestock eats grass.
humans cant digest stuff that (herbivore) animals eat, we are built very differently.
Yeah... and we humans totally need no oxygen at all, which these rain forest thingy happens to provide as it is the "lung" of the earth...

Tesahli

Oct 24, 2007
There's something that always annoyed me about vegetarians and vegans, maybe it's that underlying "holier-than-thou" attitude that comes out in debates, I don't typically have a problem with one that says "I'm a vegetarian, I don't care if you're not one.", but there often seems to be that almost religious need for conversion.

Also, one of the issues I have with this vegetarian solution to global warming is that it doesn't seem like it's really thought out or the best solution at all. It's one of those things where you can see they had an agenda they wanted to push, and then built this idea of reducing global warming around that agenda without any consideration of alternatives. Basically it seems to me they had an outcome they wanted, and built this solution to fit that outcome, rather than building a solution and then going with the outcome you got.

Sure, Cattle produce about 18% of greenhouse gasses but what about the other 82%? Especially since, unless they plan genocide of the entire Cow species, it's not going to drop from 18% to 0%. And what's the plan after the theoretical world transition from omnivore to herbivore? Kill all the excess cows? Let them wander the streets? The highest cattle population in the world is in India, which has a people that for the most part doesn't eat beef for religious reasons.

I'm not saying it's a bad idea, it just seems it needs more working out from people who aren't there with the underlying goal to convert people to vegetarians.

ThrobbingEgo

Nov 17, 2008
SamLowry said:
id like to see you digest grass. because most of our livestock eats grass.
humans cant digest stuff that (herbivore) animals eat, we are built very differently.
Yeah... and we humans totally need no oxygen at all, which these rain forest thingy happens to provide as it is the "lung" of the earth...
Actually, most of our oxygen is filtered from algae in the ocean [http://ecology.com/features/mostimportantorganism/]. 70% to 80% of the oxygen in our atmosphere comes from ocean plants.

I'm not a biologist of any kind - marine or otherwise - but if I had to guess, I'd say sudden climate change is something that could really fuck with that. So could pollutants.

Go figure, right?

SamLowry

Aug 27, 2008
Animals we use to eat would NOT go crazy breeding in the wild. Because they're too dumb.
Nature tends to balance itself. Humans somehow don't. The great Matrix analogy of humans = virii springs to mind. Agent Smith got a point, ain't he?

SamLowry

Aug 27, 2008
There's something that always annoyed me about vegetarians and vegans, maybe it's that underlying "holier-than-thou" attitude that comes out in debates, I don't typically have a problem with one that says "I'm a vegetarian, I don't care if you're not one.", but there often seems to be that almost religious need for conversion.
Meat _does_ taste good, I guess. But many other food stuff does as well.
Wouldn't we help it alot if we just ate a) the right amount (i.e. not to turn obese with your own body fat) and b) just ate _less_ meat?

I mean, look at the actual eating habits. In the Middle Ages, meat was very precious and limited, so there were certain weekdays, where you would get just a bit.

Not so much today... we have meat about 3 times a day in quantities, that cannot be really healthy... the meat itself is full of growth hormones... mmh, tasty...

And then there is mass lifestock breeding. Sincerely, can you watch a documentation on how your meat is created and eat it afterwards... well... come to your own conclusion, but don't try to impress me with a supposedly "manly" answer...

Diplodocus462

Jun 29, 2009
Just to clarify, I am not currently a vegetarian.

However, a few other things need to be clarified:

1. The most ridiculous part of this discussion is the idea that cows are these wild pests that, left on their own, will overpopulate the earth. When farmers decide to produce some meat, they do not pick up their hunting rifle and go on a 'cow hunt'. Cows have been domesticated, and so humans already entirely control their population sizes. As such, the only thing that is determining how many cows there are, is how much meat people are willing to buy. If people buy less meat, the farmers will not be able to sell the cows they have, and will be forced to do something else for a living, i.e. grow crops.

2. When you look out the window of your car at some cows in a field, you should consider the following:
-They're possibly dairy cows anyway
-The grass or corn that you "don't eat" has likely been grown for the cows to eat on arable land that could have been used for growing less resource intensive crops.
-Many cattle are fed on human edible grain. The ones in factory farms particularly are not left to graze at all.
-Because of biological inefficiencies in the conversion of energy, it takes about ten times as much vegetable mass to produce a given mass of meat.

3. Technically the nihilistic comments about how the world is going to hell anyway or that you don't care are not actually responding to the original question

4. Rather than asking the Escapist what the activists' plan is, why don't you ask the activists? Even wikipedia would be sufficient to dispel the myths laid out above.

Easykill

Sep 13, 2007
SamLowry said:
Animals we use to eat would NOT go crazy breeding in the wild. Because they're too dumb.
Nature tends to balance itself. Humans somehow don't. The great Matrix analogy of humans = virii springs to mind. Agent Smith got a point, ain't he?
That he does. Still, even if that's a part of human nature that can never change, it's not like humanity has no means of redeeming itself. Virii evolve very quickly, and we do too. If we can stave off destruction a little longer, we can become a virus so efficient that we never kill our host, and maybe even strengthen it. Like those Mitochondria of ours, weren't they originally parasitic?

Guitarmasterx7

Day Pig
Mar 16, 2009
Well, the expanse of the meat market is the problem, but i don't see how NOT eating the pollutive <(made up word) animals solves that problem.

SamLowry

Aug 27, 2008
@Diplodocus462:

Very nice list, I would add a not-directly meat related question:

Did anyone here ever taste real cheese?
Yes, real cheese. And I mean cheese by cows that didn't just get their standard boring quick-quick-milk-record-food, but ones that actually ran around a meadow and digested grass and all kinds of herbs?
It tasted like an joyful explosion on my tongue and can by no means be compared to any industrial-made cheese I ever tried afterwards...

AceDiamond

Jul 7, 2008
The irony here is that an all vegetarian diet makes you pass more gas which (shock and awe) has methane. So in effect, Vegetarians are not really doing anything good for the environment because there still are a lot of methane-producing cows and now there are more methane producing humans producing more methane because they think they're somehow better than me by not eating meat.

Simply put, vegetarians (especially PETA) are doing more harm than good, unsurprisingly.

Zlamzambo

Sep 9, 2008
It takes 16kg of grain to make 1kg of beef. It also takes thousands of gallons of water to create the meat. In a nut shell you put food and nutrience into an animal, some goes into making it into meat others go into waste and kepping the animal alive, so in the end you have lost a lot of food. So the idea is this is a waste of land and a waste of resources to cut the plant move it to meat factory feed to animal, move animal to be killed then move meat to markets. Alot more steps use up alot more gas.