How EA's CEO is Developing from People's Need to "Steal"

Esmeralda Portillo

Jun 16, 2014
How EA's CEO is Developing from People's Need to "Steal"

EA's CEO discusses how the company is using what they understand of the human psyche to strategize their business.

CEO of Electronic Arts Andrew Wilson has been revamping the way the company functions, and one of his initiatives is honing in on the human need to steal. Speaking at the GamesBeat conference [http://events.venturebeat.com/event/gamesbeat2014/] this week, Wilson discusses what he believes is important for EA's customers.

"Russell Simmons said to me once," Wilson explains, "'Human beings have an inherent need to steal.' What he was really saying is human beings have an inherent need to get value." And understanding how to incite that feeling with their customers is part of EA's business strategy, especially around their newest service, EA Access.

EA Access is a subscription service that gives players access to EA's catalog of games for $5 a month or $30 a year [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/136509-EA-Access-is-the-Publishers-New-Subscription-Service-for-Xbox-One]. The service will also offer discounts on digital purchases and beta access to upcoming EA games.

"What we want is to make you feel like what you get [with EA Access] is worth more than the money you have in your pocket." He further elaborates that, "It's really about saying that there is a player that wants to engage in our games at a huge value."

Wilson also talked about the power games have in storytelling, and how it surpasses what movies and television can do. He described how video games will continue to develop more believable stories and characters, and that we'll "start to see things that would have traditionally only have manifested themselves in film start to manifest in interactive, which is a far more powerful medium to tell a story. [http://www.gamespot.com/articles/games-are-far-more-powerful-than-movies-for-storyt/1100-6422358/]"

Since taking over as chief executive officer of Electronic Arts a year ago, Wilson has taken a more active role of being in the public eye. His statements at the conference coincide with Wilson's mission to avoid EA becoming the worst company in the future. [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/137287-EA-We-Never-Want-to-Be-Named-Worst-U-S-Company-Again-Be-Named-Worst-U-S-Company-Again]

Source: VentureBeat [http://venturebeat.com/2014/09/15/ea-ceo-andrew-wilson-explains-why-ea-access-is-about-stealing/]

Diablo1099_v1legacy

Doom needs Yoghurt, Badly
Dec 12, 2009
While I know for a fact that this is all EA BS, I have to admit, that is a kinda clever remark from a business standpoint.
"Deals so good, you'll think you've stolen them!"

Unlikely to actually happen, but clever none the less.

flarty

Apr 26, 2012
Really? tell me what was the launch price of titanfall again? Good game but seriously lacking in content.

Fox12

AccursedT- see you space cowboy
Jun 6, 2013
Hey, as long as you're not punishing me as a consumer, you can do whatever the hell you want. My only beef is when you punish paying customers for what pirates are doing. You can argue that you have to do this (you don't), and that it's just a part of business in the modern age (it's not). You reserve the right to do that. I, in turn, reserve the right to take my money elsewhere, which is what I have been doing for a long, long time. You're anti-piracy bit on Sims was a good start EA, but you have a ways to go.

Maybe you can start by curing cancer. Or end violence in the Middle East. That would put you in my good graces.

Alex Baas

Dec 2, 2011
I'm going to be a fool and actually give him the benefit of the doubt. I think he came up with this idea by looking at Steam sales because his comment is actually applies to Steam sales quite nicely. I still am highly skeptical about everything this company does but this at least resembles an effort.

Captcha: slippery slope

Entitled

Aug 27, 2012
Even if this time it was said in a tongue-in-cheek manner in an unrelated context, it's another good example of why corporations are in constant battle with the public, when they feel that stealing is basically about "getting value", rather than about removing others' value.

This explains modding restricttions and DRM, which are basically about "I only permit you to use that product one way,and if you get any excra value out of it, you owe me a cut". This explains the fight against let's plays, and them acting as if the fact that those videos making money based on other people's work, would be interchargible with those videos taking other people's money.

This even explains the excessive overreaction of the #1 "stealing" issue, piracy, when ukranian teenagers downloading Call of Duty, or devoted customers downloading some no longer sold DOS game, are just as immoral as shoplifters.

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
The man puts demos behind a subscription pay wall, then stands on a stage and talks about value.

At least the man is continuing the sterling work of the great Riccitiello.

gigastar

Insert one-liner here.
Sep 13, 2010
Guy can talk all he likes, we arent going to believe him until he produces results.

chocolate pickles

Apr 14, 2011
"Russell Simmons said to me once," Wilson explains, "Human beings have an inherent need to steal.' What he was really saying is human beings have an inherent need to get value."

Those are two very differnet things. Seems once again, EA cant pull its head far enough out of its ass to see daylight.

Maze1125

Oct 14, 2008
inu-kun said:
Yes EA, say your consumer base is people who would steal,
Except that's not what he said at all.
The shitty headline completely misrepresents his viewpoint.

Louzerman102

Mar 12, 2011
Oh, so first downloading your games was stealing. Now paying monthly for EA's services is stealing from them. There is just no pleasing you.

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/ComicallyMIssingThePoint

mechalynx

Führer of the Sausage People
Mar 23, 2008
This reminds me of a Korean fairy tale I read once - a king is throwing a celebration asks his old teacher to tell him a joke. The teacher, being an old and wise man, initially refuses, knowing that joking with kings can be hazardous for one's health. But the king insists, so the teaches tells him - "Your majesty, you resemble a (high ranking monk)." The king frowned - "That isn't very funny. You look like a pig." The teacher nodded and smiled. The king was drunk and failed to understand his joke - a holy man may see divinity, whereas a pig sees nothing but a pig.

If you see your potential customers as thieving bastards, what does that make you, mr Wilson?

Maze1125

Oct 14, 2008
mechalynx said:
If you see your potential customers as thieving bastards, what does that make you, mr Wilson?

mechalynx

Führer of the Sausage People
Mar 23, 2008
Maze1125 said:
inu-kun said:
I don't know. To me it seems that he's saying that people who're not yet shopping a EA are cheapskates.

JenSeven

Crazy person! Avoid!
Oct 19, 2010
I'm sorry, but any person that uses the phrase "Human need to steal" should not be taken serious and should NEVER be in a position of any note.

Maze1125

Oct 14, 2008
mechalynx said:
Maze1125 said:
inu-kun said:
I don't know. To me it seems that he's saying that people who're not yet shopping a EA are cheapskates.
Well, you can think what you want, it's factually not what he said.

Maze1125

Oct 14, 2008
JenSeven said:
I'm sorry, but any person that uses the phrase "Human need to steal" should not be taken serious and should NEVER be in a position of any note.
Well, good job that's not what he said then.