How exactly did Days of Future's Past "retconned" X-Men Last Stand?

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
Exactly what the title says.

Explain detail what happened in the movie that basically retconned Last Stand and rebooted the X-men film universe?

I mean jeez was Last Stand that damaging to the Continuity of the X-Men movies?

balladbird

Master of Lancer
Legacy
Jan 25, 2012
Country
United States
Well, off the top of my head, the simple fact that everyone who died in the Last Stand (which was not a small list of characters) was alive again by the end of Future's past means that a lot of the damage done in that movie was undone.

I only saw Last Stand once, way back when it first came out, and remember being underwhelmed, but it was too forgettable for me to be outraged about. I'm probably not the best person to answer this one.

DrownedAmmet

Apr 13, 2015
Samtemdo8 said:
Exactly what the title says.

Explain detail what happened in the movie that basically retconned Last Stand and rebooted the X-men film universe?

I mean jeez was Last Stand that damaging to the Continuity of the X-Men movies?
Aside from what balladbird said, the main thing I remember is in a flashback in Last Stand
it shows old man professor X played by Patrick Stewart walking, whereas in Days of Future Past McAvoy professor X was in a wheelchair already

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
balladbird said:
Well, off the top of my head, the simple fact that everyone who died in the Last Stand (which was not a small list of characters) was alive again by the end of Future's past means that a lot of the damage done in that movie was undone.
Only Jean dies for sure in The Last Stand. Cyclops is presumed dead, and Xavier is alive in a post-credits scene (hence his reappearence in The Wolverine and the apocalypse scenes from Days of Future Past).

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
Err cos of this (sorry couldn't find a better quality of this scene)-
Also the video didn't show that Logan meet Charles and ask him what happened in that year when he stop the assasination.

Ok you could argue that scene could had taken place before The Last Stand but whatever.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Not just Last Stand, but the original trilogy and I think the Wolverine movies as well. Either didn't happen or happened very differently to some unspecified amount.

WolfThomas

Man must have a code.
Dec 21, 2007
To be fair about Days of Future Past. It also went out of it's way to fix up some continuity problems in the series. Why is Hank Mccoy normal looking in a brief TV snippet in X-1 but Beast like in X-3? Because he has a serum that can hide his mutant nature.

How could Xavier walk in the Flashbacks in X-3 and in Wolverine Origins? That same serum let Xavier walk at the expense of his powers.

I mean it also makes problems because he does also use his powers in those scenes, but DOFP shows there is some overlap between his powers coming back and losing his ability to walk. It may be latter he was able to experiment with small doses that allowed him to walk briefly while using reduced powers.

Thaluikhain said:
Not just Last Stand, but the original trilogy and I think the Wolverine movies as well. Either didn't happen or happened very differently to some unspecified amount.
This. Not just last stand. Everything before Days of Future Past. It's so weirdly meta. Like we had to have the bad films to have this ending.

bastardofmelbourne

Dec 11, 2012
The difference is that Last Stand never happened because it was a terrible movie that killed off half the cast for no good reason.

More specifically; blah blah Sentinels blah timey wimey blah Mystique blah blah Bryan Singer.

King Billi

Jul 11, 2012
I actually really like how the X-men films handled that, they're the only example I can think of that didn't simply erase what came before despite what people like to pretend, both the old films and the new rebooted films are linked by 'Days of Future Past', we may be on a new timeline but nothings really been lost its still the same series.

Its actually quite reminiscent with how retcons are often handled in the comics. Things are changed but only really by how willing people are to ignore what they don't like.

Maze1125

Oct 14, 2008
undeadsuitor said:
Basically, the huge difference in timelines is that Mystique was stopped from killing Trask, and Magneto was stopped from killing the President (something that they apparently did in the original timeline)
Magneto only had the opportunity to kill the president because of Wolverine travelling to the past.
In the original time-line Magneto remained imprisoned miles underneath the Pentagon.

Fieldy409_v1legacy

Oct 9, 2008
Its actually everything after the sixties that got wiped out by the time change. So Xmen first class and wolverine origins(blech) Are the only ones that werent wiped out.

Yet its not really a retcon because Wolverine still remembers these Events and presumably will tell Professor X about them(or wolvie just gets mindread) which could maybe influence choices in further movies.

bastardofmelbourne

Dec 11, 2012
Fieldy409 said:
Its actually everything after the sixties that got wiped out by the time change. So Xmen first class and wolverine origins(blech) Are the only ones that werent wiped out.
Origins definitely got retconned, because it's set around the time of the Three Mile Island incident in 1979.

Fieldy409_v1legacy

Oct 9, 2008
bastardofmelbourne said:
Fieldy409 said:
Origins definitely got retconned, because it's set around the time of the Three Mile Island incident in 1979.
Oh okay, So I guess thats why awesome talking redsuit Deadpool is possible now.

Just realised this means that there basically was another Wolverine mind that must have done all the things in this new timeline, that got his body snatched by the original timeline Wolverine... Thats scary to think about, imagine wondering if its going to happen to you one day also lol.

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
bastardofmelbourne said:
Fieldy409 said:
Origins definatly got Retconned because Deadpool...