How far should "It's my body, I can do what I want" go?

Nutcase

Dec 3, 2008
Xanian said:
I understand what FAS is...I've worked with people with FAS. I'm not saying they don't understand anything is wrong, I'm saying they don't really understand that their quality of life is less so than others. I've met some who were quite happy...actually.
Human psyche blocks out and rationalizes away a lot of shit if it's bad enough. I think we can agree that when your mother appreciates your entire future less than she loves her jaeger shots, that is a pretty raw deal. People will go to great lengths to avoid recognizing that.
We can strongly discourage what she does...just like we can strongly discourage binge drinking and having unprotected sex. People will still do it to the detriment of themselves and others.
Forced intervention and treatment will stop many of them and we can do it.
We can't protect people from themselves without causing a very dangerous line...and we can't keep ever addict/ alcoholic from procreating.
We can stop many of them from damaging their children. Doing it with only the cases we can catch is better than nothing. This is not "protecting people from themselves", to the contrary, it is a slight encroachment on the rights of the pregnant person for the sake of the possible child and the society that will have to take care of it.

SyphonX

Coffee Bandit
Mar 22, 2009
Carrying to term means it will be a life. Doesn't matter what your stance is on whether or not a fetus is a human life. If you are going to carry a pregnancy to term, then it WILL BE A LIFE when it comes out.

Being a callous moron in saying "it's just a parasite" is irrelevant to the fact that endangering pregnancy while carrying to term is in fact going to put the SOON TO BE life at risk for complications. You are damaging the infant by drinking. Just because it won't have full blown retardation or fetal alcohol syndrome, doesn't mean you're not making the thing stupid and effectively killing it's ability to grow even in the slightest.

I can't believe some people would call it a parasite feeding off the host. "Until it takes it's first breath" is bullshit. By carrying to term, it is a life. So all precautions need to be in place. If you're just going to kill the fetus and have an abortion anyway, then I suppose being a callous monster and calling life "parasites" would soothe the burden of your guilt.

Also, when someone speaks like that, it doesn't make you sound tough, or professional, or educated. You sound like an apathetic dimwit.

Anyway, some people are right in saying it would open a can of worms if this is legislated. That's understandable, and frankly.. I do not support any solutions in this matter. Some people are just ignorant, and completely stupid. I'm not going to open floodgates of legislation to protect the retards from themselves, while making the cultured and sane amongst them suffer in a nanny-state hell. Common sense is no longer common, and apathy is worshiped as a figureless deity.

Most of us try to keep to ourselves, trying to be left alone in our homes. But the walls close in on us more and more, because of the idiots and the utter chaos they cause.

Soviet Steve

May 23, 2009
So long as it does not directly harm others you do have your rights to do as you please with your body.

When you are also feeding an infant and you will cause irreperrable damage to said infant by drinking, then you don't deserve reproductive organs.