How has your gaming habits changed over the years?

FakeSympathy

Elite Member
Legacy
Jun 8, 2015
Country
US
Used to play at least 5 hours a day.

Now I play once in couple of days, 1-2 1/2 hours each time.

I think there just isn't a game that makes me want to invest my time in.

blunderbuss3000

Jul 14, 2015
I've noticed that it's gotten progressively harder to sit down and marathon single player games as I've gotten older. Even games I really like wind up getting put on the back burner in order to play multiplayer games with my friends.

go-10

Feb 3, 2010
from NES to SNES I mostly played games that required no forward thinking and had no story to follow or strategic thinking needed to play. Then I played FF vII on the PSX and fell in love with the way the world looked so I learned English in order to properly play it, now that I had a new language mastered I decided to go back and played on a lot of SNES and NES RPG's that I missed and from the onwards RPG's and fighting games beame the main games I would play. Gaming was a rather large part of my life and when I wasn't in school I was playing video games.

Then after I graduated HS and joined the NAVY I played mostly fighting games because of how little time I had available to play RPG's, fast forward 11 years I'm out of the service and got back into RPG gaming but with a full time job a girlfriend and a bunch of other responsibilities the little free time that I get I rather spend it playing a pen and paper RPG like D&D or Pathfinder. I still play video games but it's rather rare that I do, last time I turned on my PS4 was 2 weeks ago... and that was to watch Netflix!

I still love video games but as most RPG's have become copy paste Skyrim/Dragon Age my interest in them diminishes and I honestly get together with a group of friends play D&D and just hang out rather than look at a TV screen for a couple of hours :( At least my GF plays and I get to watch her which is pretty cool.

Xeros

Aug 13, 2008
In '09, I switched primarily to PC for all of my media sponge needs. Then I started working. Now I work, and work ...and work. What's gaming? Sounds familiar, like something from a half-remembered dream.

Carzinex

Mar 29, 2011
as i've gotten more disposable income and more time to play, i find myself with too many games, it sit and stare at my steam library wondering which game to play and can't decide.

I've completed every game i own and max leveled in my favorite MMO's and now im bored. When a new game does come out i play it non stop until i complete it and then i'm back to procrastinating over steam.

I suppose i should just go outside.....

Artina89

Oct 27, 2008
Hmmm... I don't really have a whole lot of time to play that many videogames any more, but when I do have time I find myself increasing finding myself playing the games from my childhood. For example, I planned on playing Bloodborne today, but instead I found myself playing Luigi's mansion on the Gamecube and loving every single second of it. I very rarely play PC games any more, and find myself playing my consoles and my handhelds more these days. I think the last game I played on my PC was Guacamelee! and that was a few months ago. On another note, I recently found my Gameboy Color still in perfect working condition with Pokemon Blue. I know what I will be playing during my break times at work.

MeatMachine

Dr. Stan Gray
May 31, 2011
My taste in games has always been eclectic, so my interest in what games I play have always been changing.

Not gonna copout with that answer, though - my interest in how games are made and how games captivate me, THAT's changed quite a bit.

AgedGrunt

Dec 7, 2011
I'd say the biggest difference is how I've gone from playing many games and switching to new ones somewhat regularly to just having one or two games, and rarely ever playing new games.

Was a console gamer for most of my life, now just have the PC. Either way there are just too many games and I can't find the time or even excitement to try them. I'm very picky now, so I only plan to get GTA V and Witcher 3 when they go on sale.

omega 616

Elite Member
May 1, 2009
I've grown more and more cynical with games, remember being a little whipper snapper and being in awe of these 32 bit sprites, but now I am bored of the same old shit, being nickel and dime'd by just about every game. the indie scene is nothing but 2D side scrollers and dayz rip off's.

I'm also sick of gamers, yes you! "We want original IP's, that we wont buy! But we also want sequels and remastered versions of old stuff even though we will complain about them! Lastly fuck you, your whole family and your dog if your game doesn't run at the correct res and FPS!"

3asytarg3t

Jun 8, 2010
Back at the origin of PC MP the community was not fractured into a million pieces by too many choices that die out quickly like today, basically we all played Quake and then Quake 2, in particular a lot of CTF and my personal favorite LMCTF.

The nice thing back then about PC gaming is it was way before it went mainstream, owning a 1200 then 2400 baud modem separated you initially from Low Ping Bastard (LPB) vs High Ping Bastard (HPB). So why this small slice of nostalgia by way of answering the question? Because back then the online community was fairly close knit and for the most part pretty civil and as a result I played A LOT of MP, pretty much exclusively.

Today however I wouldn't be caught dead playing MP in pretty much any game given the toxic waste that qualifies for "human life forms" playing MP games today.

As a result I play pretty much exclusively SP games.