How I would create a game to troll 90% of FPS players

MammothBlade

It's not that I LIKE you b-baka!
Oct 12, 2011
I play some FPS games myself occasionally, but I have something of a hate on for the way the FPS genre has gone today.

#1. No iron sights. They take a fair bit of fun out of the game, in my view. I always did prefer hip fire. Scopes are an exception, of course.
#2. No auto-aim. It encourages laziness and makes it easy for people to get in annoying successive shots through their stupid iron sights.
#3. No automatic assault rifles. They remove a great deal of strategy from the game, because they are the jack of all kills and can hit anything on most maps. I think it would be better to have only submachine guns and light machine guns. Assault rifles should be semi-auto only. That way, it's more of a shooting game, you have to think about your shots.
#4. More than 2 "primary" weapons slots. This allows for versatility in combat.
#5. No killstreaks or perks.
#6. As many obscure, antique, or imaginary weapons as possible. No AK-47s or M4s, even semi auto versions. The same goes for Desert Eagles. Or perhaps they could be harshly nerfed so that anyone who uses them is in for an unpleasant surprise.
#7. No knife button, it's a secondary weapon which you have to select first. There is a wide selection of melee weapons.
#8. No quickscoping.
#9. Camping is a legitimate strategy.
#10. No auto-regenerating health. Just medkits.

And I'm not talking about TF2. It isn't class based, it doesn't have comicbook graphics, and the maps are larger. The weapons would be altogether different.

Wow, I must be incredibly bitter.

Don Savik

Aug 27, 2011
I like it for the most part, especially with the automatic rifles. Don't get me wrong I love guns with a lot of bullets per minute, but when compared to melee range shotguns, no damage smgs, high recoil lmgs, and single shot snipers, they outclass EVERYTHING in just about every field. So many games make anything but an assault rifle a terrible option.

Iron sights though....I like them. Its a preference thing, I don't care if the game has them or not, but good iron sights are amazing. If the iron sight is beneficial to the shooting of the gun like in Red Orchestra 2, hip firing doesn't even compare. It all depends on the speed of the game though, but in a more realistic setting I think slower paced combat works better with iron sights.

But all in all you aren't accomplishing anything. Personal preference in games doesn't make the gameplay, art direction, or virtual world you've created any good, and to me you really need to differentiate yourself in the shooter genre. I don't think the shooter mechanics are necessarily bad nowadays, its just the games ideas themselves are lazy. Your average dudebro fps loving devs aren't the most imaginative. Can I play something other than an american soldier in another country in present day? Can I play a shooter where I'm an alien? Or a robot?

AndrewF022

Jan 23, 2010
#1 #2 #5 #7 and #8 describe Counter-Strike.. so maybe you could just make a mod for that game.

Also the game is still widely popular so some people would probably enjoy a different take on that kind of shooter.

AwkwardTurtle

Aug 21, 2011
If you really wanted to troll FPS players you should make a game where the "Fire" button is randomly mapped to a random button be it mouse click or keyboard. Then have this happen individually with each person and the button is remapped every time they die/get a kill. :D

Dirty Hipsters

This is how we praise the sun!
Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
Numbers 1,2,3,5,6,7,8 describe Halo.

Well ok, Halo does have an assault rifle, but it sucks ass and doesn't hold a candle to the burst/semi auto weapons. And yeah, sure, Halo does have a 1 button melee, but the melee isn't an instant kill unless using a melee weapon so it counts.

General Twinkletoes

Suppository of Wisdom
Jan 24, 2011
All those numbers save 3 describe UT, and even then it's only one gun and it's a damn minigun, so it's pretty fun, but still not game breaking.

Just play some UT2004, and your life will be happy.

Diablo2000

Tiger Robocop
Aug 29, 2010
No mouse look and shoots on "ctrl"

I would love to see one those new gamers who was no idea what Doom is trying to play a game like this...

OldDirtyCrusty

Mar 12, 2012
If you`re a console player i suggest you try Duke Nukem Forevers mp. First time i played it felt alot like Quake3.

Racecarlock

Jul 10, 2010
Screw that. Have a flashy, cinematic war intro that looks like the funnest war game yet, then they get a message that says something like "Ha! Sucker" and then it cuts to this game http://www.molleindustria.org/everydaythesamedream/everydaythesamedream.html . They'll hate you for life. I guarantee it.

sethisjimmy

May 22, 2009
So, you would create TF2?

No seriously, every single one of your points is a part of TF2. Every single one, right down to the obscure and imaginary weapons.

If I didn't know better i'd say you just took a list of things you like in TF2 and wrote them down as things all shooters should do...

Not that that's a bad thing, but I don't think it would troll 90% of fps players, as I hear TF2 is pretty popular with the kids these days and what-not.

SilverBullets000

Apr 11, 2012
TizzytheTormentor said:
Make a game where there is an achievement for never getting shot once, you can never get shot in the entire game and in the final cutscene you get shot and it counts...perfect!
Son of a *****, this guy just won the thread.

OP: FPS guys generally tend to love machismo military things, so if you ever do create an entire game, make one level where they have to cross dress. That will throw them for one hell of a loop, especially considering half the comments on XBox Live.
Otherwise, what you've just described is rather tame, and a fair competetive game.

bafrali

Mar 6, 2012
sethisjimmy said:
So, you would create TF2?

No seriously, every single one of your points is a part of TF2. Every single one, right down to the obscure and imaginary weapons.

If I didn't know better i'd say you just took a list of things you like in TF2 and wrote them down as things all shooters should do...

Not that that's a bad thing, but I don't think it would troll 90% of fps players, as I hear TF2 is pretty popular with the kids these days and what-not.
This.I guess OP didn't knew about it but he is better off modding TF2

But he is a console player i suppose?

Garyn Dakari

Nov 12, 2011
I've never played a game with iron-sights, autoaim, killstreaks/perks, "knife button"s, or quickscoping. Though I kind of want to try a game with iron sights sometime, just since it looks interesting. Most shooters I play are from Valve, or are older games, so that's probably why I haven't played with any of those features you mentioned. Newest shooter I've played was Half-Life 2: Episode 2, from 2007.