How I would create a game to troll 90% of FPS players

Ratboy1337

Mar 21, 2012
I think it sounds pretty fun. Kind of like this one game I played at a friends Birthday party years ago. TimeSplitters 2. it had all sorts of funny weapons and character models and it was a lot of fun

kortin

Mar 18, 2011
TheKasp said:
kortin said:
1. Why. Why would you EVER choose to fire from the hip than using your sights? That's just silly and the only reason such a thing exists is because of two reasons: One, technological limitations, and two, the gun does not require the ability to use iron sights (such as most guns in TF2)
Because I don't find the idea of slowing the gameflow down and blinding myself just because "hurr durr, every game has to be realistic so you'll need to ram up a gun in your nose to hit something 1ft in fron of you".

Why assume that a trained soldier does not have the gun at sights all the time outside of sprint?

9. No. Just...No. Camping is almost never a legitimate strategy unless you have a sniper rifle.
Unless you are playing something where map control and spawns are essential camping was and is a legit strategy.
It's MUCH easier to hit someone by using iron sights than it is to shoot from the hip. I can't stand using any gun that does not have iron sights when they should. >.<

It's not camping then, it's defending the objective.

Redingold

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
Mar 28, 2009
kortin said:
TheKasp said:
kortin said:
1. Why. Why would you EVER choose to fire from the hip than using your sights? That's just silly and the only reason such a thing exists is because of two reasons: One, technological limitations, and two, the gun does not require the ability to use iron sights (such as most guns in TF2)
Because I don't find the idea of slowing the gameflow down and blinding myself just because "hurr durr, every game has to be realistic so you'll need to ram up a gun in your nose to hit something 1ft in fron of you".

Why assume that a trained soldier does not have the gun at sights all the time outside of sprint?

9. No. Just...No. Camping is almost never a legitimate strategy unless you have a sniper rifle.
Unless you are playing something where map control and spawns are essential camping was and is a legit strategy.
It's MUCH easier to hit someone by using iron sights than it is to shoot from the hip. I can't stand using any gun that does not have iron sights when they should. >.<

It's not camping then, it's defending the objective.
No, it's exactly as easy.

1. Move mouse until target is in middle of screen.
2. Click.

Hip-fire is only as inaccurate as the devs make it.

kortin

Mar 18, 2011
Redingold said:

2. Click.

Then you must be using some sort of superhax mod, because I have never had that much ease with hip-fire guns, in any game.

Kahunaburger

May 6, 2011
kortin said:
Depending on the game in question that might just be auto-aim haha. Although I'm actually pretty fine with ADS for console shooters -where it's an okay substitute for the amount of precision you'd get with a mouse. Not sure what the point would be for PC shooters though.

Redingold

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
Mar 28, 2009
kortin said:
Redingold said:

2. Click.

Then you must be using some sort of superhax mod, because I have never had that much ease with hip-fire guns, in any game.
Clearly you've never played any game like TF2 where there are no iron sights and firing from the hip is accurate. My point still stands that you only need iron sights if the developers say you do. It's perfectly feasible to have games that don't use them.

kortin

Mar 18, 2011
Redingold said:
Clearly you've never played any game like TF2 where there are no iron sights and firing from the hip is accurate. My point still stands that you only need iron sights if the developers say you do. It's perfectly feasible to have games that don't use them.
I played CS. That was enough of a game that lacked iron sights for me.

shrekfan246

Not actually a Japanese pop star
May 26, 2011
#1. Enter thread. Typically by clicking on a link that has a title so ridiculous that I just need to see what it's about.
#2. Read posts by other people. Because I like to know what discussion is going on before I weigh in.
#3. See if I want to quote anyone for a particular reason, even though the chances are my post will be ignored anyway.
#4. Develop a witty retort in my head.
#5. Decide whether I want to use said witty retort or make a serious post.
#6. Scroll to the bottom of the page and begin typing.
#7. Pad out the length of my post for the hell of it.
#8. Mention how TF2 fills all but one of the criteria set forth by the OP (despite whatever assertions he's trying to make that it's not a "true FPS" whatever the hell that means).
#9. ???
#10. Profit!

On a serious note: You can't just say "No, it would be nothing like Team Fortress 2 because the aesthetics and guns would be totally different!" That's like saying Kingdoms of Amalur is absolutely nothing like Skyrim because they have completely different visual aesthetics and combat systems, completely ignoring the fact that they're both massive open-world RPGs with a heavy emphasis on exploration and a sub-par story.

You also can't just say Team Fortress 2 isn't a "true" FPS, especially without backing your argument. It's a shooter, it's in first-person - By definition alone you are wrong.

Also, this theoretical game of yours would literally only "troll" people who have never played a game that isn't Call of Duty. Because there are plenty of games that do various combinations of all of those points, and have been for years.

Darkmantle

Oct 30, 2011
TestECull said:
ElPatron said:
Why would no MP piss off people? We all know that most games today have unnecessary online modes that only detract people from playing what they really want.
They have these tacked on online modes because people buy them in droves. Just look at CoD. The game is objectively awful, yet breaks sales records because of the multiplayer. Making an SP-only CoD game would, thus, accomplish two noble feats:

1: Troll FPS players.
2: put a dying franchise out of our misery.

And I never understood why inverted Y axis was the default option in some games. Who the hell wants to aim like they were flying a plane?
Moving the mouse up to look up makes sense. That's why it's the default. Moving it down to look up is what's odd.
CoD isn't a dying franchise if it just broke the record number of sales, I don't know what you are on about, but saying it doesn't make it true. The game is not objectively awful, it's objectively pretty good. And I'd put money on half the problems you have with it are over exaggerated nonsense.

Inverted is usually the default option because it was imported from a console version :p I play inverted on consoles and standard on PC

TK421

Apr 16, 2009
MammothBlade said:
#8. No quickscoping.
The only problem with this one is that there is no way to make it work. If you try what treyarch did with black ops, then no one can effectively snipe, even legitimately. You're going to have to come up with something new that won't nerf the hell out of sniper rifles.

WaysideMaze

The Butcher On Your Back
Apr 25, 2010
yogibbear said:
So wait you "play" FPS games on a console then?

Clearly you haven't experienced a proper FPS experience then where skill matters.

Just go play Tribes: Ascend or Quake Online and report back here on whether all your wants were met.
What's with the quotes around play? Oh wait, I see. PC Elitism again.

O/T Yeah you really did describe TF2 there.

Imat

Feb 21, 2009
Sounds to me like you just don't like losing in FPS games and want a game that only uses your strengths, with none of your weaknesses. Don't get me wrong, I'm not a fan of an insta-kill melee button on every gun, but iron sights are fine (If you can aim just as well from the hip as from iron sights, the game is seriously broken), auto-aim is fine for consoles, auto rifles are fine (Spray and pray is generally a poor strategy against opponents who have any concept of cover), modern weapons are fine. The rest is all taste-based (With the exception of rewarding players on killing streaks with the ability to kill even more with little to no danger to themselves). And camping should never be a legitimate strategy. Using the mechanics of the game, something which is difficult to work around, in order to win is downright obnoxious. And you saying it should be legitimate only goes to show that you don't like losing in FPS games and are willing to pull the cheapest of "non-cheating" strategies in order to win.

So yeah, I disagree with most of the list, and the other stuff is generally taste-based.

Wayneguard

Jun 12, 2010
MammothBlade said:
I play some FPS games myself occasionally, but I have something of a hate on for the way the FPS genre has gone today.

#1. No iron sights. They take a fair bit of fun out of the game, in my view. I always did prefer hip fire. Scopes are an exception, of course.
#2. No auto-aim. It encourages laziness and makes it easy for people to get in annoying successive shots through their stupid iron sights.
#3. No automatic assault rifles. They remove a great deal of strategy from the game, because they are the jack of all kills and can hit anything on most maps. I think it would be better to have only submachine guns and light machine guns. Assault rifles should be semi-auto only. That way, it's more of a shooting game, you have to think about your shots.
#4. More than 2 "primary" weapons slots. This allows for versatility in combat.
#5. No killstreaks or perks.
#6. As many obscure, antique, or imaginary weapons as possible. No AK-47s or M4s, even semi auto versions. The same goes for Desert Eagles. Or perhaps they could be harshly nerfed so that anyone who uses them is in for an unpleasant surprise.
#7. No knife button, it's a secondary weapon which you have to select first. There is a wide selection of melee weapons.
#8. No quickscoping.
#9. Camping is a legitimate strategy.
#10. No auto-regenerating health. Just medkits.

And I'm not talking about TF2. It isn't class based, it doesn't have comicbook graphics, and the maps are larger. The weapons would be altogether different.

Wow, I must be incredibly bitter.

And as for the minigun/plasma rifle violating #3, you can't use those guns without aiming. In fact, the minigun is probably the weapon with the greatest need for accuracy on the player's part in the whole game because it has to be held on the tiny moving enemies to do any damage at all. No spray n pray kills with that one.