How is Bethesda going to handle Skyrim's expansions?

Kova7

Nov 25, 2011
What I want and what their going to make is going to be two different things.....I'd like an island with a HUGE city to explore, like the imperial city with a lot of color, and festivals going on. A city that really makes you feel that your there with so much to do...from a high kings castle, to the poverty district, all on a huge scale...

LordRoyal

May 13, 2011
Dr Jones said:
I think a higher level cap is inevitable.
The level cap is 81, you can only get to that by maxing out your skills.

I'm doubting a higher cap unless it includes increasing one's perks or adding new skills.

keideki

Sep 10, 2008
Even if they just increase the skill caps, or if they added new perks and weapons and spells, it will all probably suffer from major power creep. I think they should leave the character development stuff alone, I feel its pretty well balanced. Content only would be best. Maybe throw in some new spells and weapons, but make sure they don't have problems with power creep.

triggrhappy94

Apr 24, 2010
The Common Hours said:
Well, I remember reading an article on this site about how they want ALL of the DLC to be as big as Shivering Isles were for Oblivion.
I guess it's time for me to get a new hard drive

triggrhappy94

Apr 24, 2010
henritje said:
fuck horse armor I WANT MY MUDCRAB ARMOR!!!!!!
Actually they already have it. Everything the falmer (Skyrim's version of goblins) make looks like they used mudcrabs.

Freaky Lou

Nov 1, 2011
Metalhandkerchief said:
I would REALLY like to see the Daedric realms of Nocturnal and Boethiah... The prior a place where beauty meets darkness, sobriety and lawful evil ways... The former a mad killing field. Shivering Isles is to me the best expansion content Beth has ever released, and there are so many other Daedric realms still unseen...
You know they could do a game that takes place entirely in the Daedric planes, with you traveling between them. That could potentially be pretty awesome. Just imagine how twisted Mephala, Molag Bal, or Namira's realms would be.

omicron1

Mar 26, 2008
Making expansions for existing characters is somewhat problematic. You can't really do much power progression for existing characters - they've already been there, done that, and bought the creepy mask. Creating new "addon storylines" for existing characters will inevitably be either throwaway (Here's twenty new dungeons and a major boss who you could beat with your eyes shut because you already beat the game hollow - hope you weren't already bored!) or exponential (Remember all those major world-destroying calamities you prevented? Well, this evil Imperial sorcerer is MORE DANGEROUS THAN ALDUIN!). The only real alternative is going different, not bigger - do something like Shivering Isles, where the story, setting, and challenges are so different that your world-ending powers don't really unbalance the setting.

But all that aside, what I'd like to see is one of three things:
1. Entirely new gameplay elements. Let me be a trader, a cook, or a game trapper. Let me LIVE in Skyrim. This kind of expansion would revitalize the basic gameplay on a second playthrough, giving players a fresh experience in content that might have grown stale; or let them have a "non-stressful yet rewarding experience" living in a virtual world.

2. Entirely new regions with minor quests. Let me wander off into Hammerfell or Morrowind and solve the problems of random villages. Nothing more substantial than the guild quests, please - I don't need another world-spanning plotline. Just let me be an adventurer! Heck, make a new "adventurer start" which strips out the Dragonborn storyline - someone else is Dovakhiin; you're just a random adventurer! Have fun!

3. Alternate resolutions for the guild quests. Let me join the Silver Hand and wipe out the Companions. Create a questline that works in parallel but counter to the Thieves' Guild. Basically, do for every guild what the Civil War storyline does for the Imperials and Stormcloaks - allow us to actively choose sides.

Any of these would be brilliant ways to expand on the game, especially for additional playthroughs. Admittedly, though, #2 is the most likely, least "unusual" option.